Prince William supports regulated big game hunting

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Prince William upset Anti-Hunters by saying in an interview that trophy hunting of animals like lions could sometimes be “justifiable” as a means of raising money to protect threatened species.

The heir to the British throne told CNN affiliate ITV News that, while it was not "everyone's cup of tea," there was a place for regulated commercial hunting of "old, infirm animals" if the proceeds raised from licenses went back into protecting endangered species.

"So when (an animal) is infertile, he's at the end of his life, if somebody out there wants to pay that money -- and it wouldn't be me -- but if somebody did, then as long as that money goes back into protection of the species then it is a justifiable means of conserving species that are under serious threat," he said.

The remarks came shortly after William unveiled plans to tackle wildlife trafficking. The plan tasks transportation leaders with cracking down on trafficking routes.

"If current trends continue, the last wild African elephants and rhinos will be killed before my daughter Charlotte reaches her 25th birthday," he said in a speech to mark the initiative.

"The question is: can we be bothered to do our bit? By signing this declaration, you, the leaders of some of the most important transportation companies and agencies on earth are answering with an emphatic, 'yes'."

This is not the first time the Duke of Cambridge has come under fire in relation to wildlife conservation; in 2014, a day before launching a conservation appeal against illegal hunting, he went on a deer and wild boar hunt in Spain; while his hunt was not illegal, critics said it sent a mixed message.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...se-trophy-hunting-is-crucial-to-conservation-

if somebody out there wants to pay that money -- and it wouldn't be me -- but if somebody did, then as long as that money goes back into protection of the species then it is a justifiable means of conserving species that are under serious threat," he said

I appreciate the support of hunting, but a portion of this statement is suspect.

I appreciate the support of hunting, but a portion of this statement is suspect.

First off, his way of shielding himself from media ridicule. Secondly because he is a monarch - they never pay, they are always guests.

The kid grew up hunting at Balmoral shooting Stag of giant proportion at Cragy Head using guns that many of you guys would die for.

It's simple on how to stop poachers.

Kill them, kill them all. Place a bounty on them because if there isn't there really won't be any elephants or rhinos left in the wild.

I apologize this is “Old News”. Dan Cabela posted this on my time line and I failed to “fact check” the dates??? I hang my head in shame and as my penance will watch 15 min. of CNN. Forgive Me!?

I applaud him to be honest. Yes, he is privileged, yes he is high profile, but all the more difficult it is for him to acknowledge that hunting is a viable tool in conservation. It would be so much easier for him to just bend to the will of the anti-hunting establishment and declare hunting as an all out evil. Instead, he has said "wait a minute" "hang on" there is a place for hunting here. He is in the difficult position of having to appease everyone, which is impossible to do. He was not elected to his station in life, he was born into it.

P.S., if Prince William happens to read this, hit me up for your next hunting trip to Balmoral, I will make myself available.

I apologize this is “Old News”. Dan Cabela posted this on my time line and I failed to “fact check” the dates??? I hang my head in shame and as my penance will watch 15 min. of CNN. Forgive Me!?
A fate worse than death itself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross