Prince Harry to help Africa's wildlife parks

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Screenshot (136).png

Britain's newly engaged Prince Harry has been appointed as African Parks’ new president.

He joins his brother Prince William who is working to ensure the survival of elephants through the Tusk Trust amongst other wildlife initiatives.

In an interview broadcast in the UK today‚ Prince Harry expressed his support for various environmental causes‚ saying: "Coming from a younger generation it is incredibly exciting and I feel optimistic about the future because now is a real test for‚ a real test for humanity to be able to swing that pendulum and say right in order for us to make our mark on this planet."

His father the Prince of Wales said: "We have somehow abandoned our proper connection with nature. Somehow imagined that we can manage without or we battle against her in every way instead of understanding that the future lies in working in far greater harmony with nature."

African Parks is a conservation NGO‚ founded in 2000‚ that manages national parks and protected areas on behalf of governments and in collaboration with local communities across Africa. With 13 parks under management‚ they say they have the largest area under conservation for any one NGO on the African continent.

“We are extremely honoured to have Prince Harry officially join African Parks as our President‚” Peter Fearnhead‚ CEO of African Parks‚ said on Wednesday.

“Prince Harry has had a long history supporting conservation and humanitarian efforts across Africa. He is extremely passionate‚ committed and knowledgeable about the issues‚ and is a force for conservation not just for Africa but for the world. He shares in our vision‚ and together‚ with him in this influential role‚ we aim to continue to do extraordinary things for the benefit of Africa’s wildlife and the people who live in and around these wild areas.”

Prince Harry’s first experience working alongside African Parks was in July 2016 in Malawi‚ where he served as an integral member of their team‚ carrying out one of the largest elephant translocations in history. Along with moving elephants to a new home‚ Prince Harry assisted with translocating a rhinoceros‚ a host of game species including antelope‚ buffalo‚ and zebra‚ and he facilitated in re-collaring three lions with GPS collars to help better protect them.

The organisation said in a statement that together with Fearnhead‚ he also met with Malawi’s President Peter Mutharika to discuss the Presidents’ conservation vision for the country‚ as well as the work of African Parks‚ who manages three parks in Malawi and is responsible for protecting 90% of the country’s elephant population.

“In his role as President of African Parks‚” said Robert-Jan van Ogtrop‚ chairman of African Parks‚ “Prince Harry will work closely with our Board and Peter Fearnhead our CEO‚ to advance our mission in protecting Africa’s national parks. He’ll be able to help shine a light on the most pressing and urgent issues wildlife are facing‚ and most importantly‚ what people can do to help.”

Source: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/africa/2017-12-27-prince-harry-to-help-africas-wildlife-parks/

Let’s see what he has to say about hunting!

Quote “Prince Harry has had a long history supporting conservation and humanitarian efforts across Africa. He is extremely passionate‚ committed and knowledgeable about the issues‚ and is a force for conservation not just for Africa but for the world. He shares in our vision‚ and together‚ with him in this influential role‚ we aim to continue to do extraordinary things for the benefit of Africa’s wildlife and the people who live in and around these wild areas.” Unquote

Is that the same Prince Harry who once said that all ivory artifacts in the Royal Palaces of GB should be destroyed ?

I suspect his vision is not the same that we hunters share.

Hopefully he will be a voice for hunters then @Pheroze

he facilitated in re-collaring three lions with GPS collars to help better protect them.
Side note - how does putting GPS collars on lions help "protect" them?

I am hopeful he will be a reasoned presence on the Board. Didn't he do a tv interview about the issue?

Prince Harry is hunter. In fact, royal family are hunters. However, today most of high profile celebrities, keep low profile on their hunting activities, as hunting is issue today and not always appreciated by part of public, and mass media.
https://www.sott.net/article/274083...ince-Harry-in-trophy-kill-water-buffalo-photo
Exactly, well said^^
They are hunters and have hunted in Africa. They fully understand hunting. But they are the monarchy and forced to live in a fish bowl.
All that power and money---- but a life I do not envy and would not want.

Prince Harry recently declined to participate in a family hunt going back many years. I believe it was a dove hunt. He opted out to appease his animal rights woman Megan Markel. He has no balls and bows to her demands already. He will be of no help as I see it.

I would not take a lot of notice about anything printed in the British press regarding the royals.

Prince Harry recently declined to participate in a family hunt going back many years. I believe it was a dove hunt. He opted out to appease his animal rights woman Megan Markel. He has no balls and bows to her demands already. He will be of no help as I see it.

It was probably one of the family days at Sandringham over Christmas driven pheasant only 8 guns more family members than that shoot perhaps it was not his turn?

IMO though he's a hunter - from a family of hunters - his role will be confined to purely ceremonial and mouthpiece duties as per usual. As a royal he cannot tarnish or bring disrepute to the monarchy by getting involved in any debates whatsoever. As such, every speech he says, and every ribbon he cuts, has to be cleared well beforehand. Therefore his position will be reduced to exactly that of a eunuch: a guy surrounded by amazing opportunities for active participation, but in reality lacking the wherewithal to actually do anything!

I believe that on Harry's, and his brother William's 16th birthday, they were each given deerstalking rifles in .243 Winchester. Further - and this is open to correction by anyone with better information than I - in the 1960's Prince Phillip signed the document declaring the tiger an endangered species. I believe he signed this document immediately after his last hunt, where he had been disappointed in having only shot a bag of 5 tigers.

So in short, the royals have too much to lose, dynastically and publically, by getting involved in a contentious, grubby, little issue like hunting. But, because of their royal status, they will continue to enjoy THEIR sport while we lesser mortals continue to carry the can for OURS.

Again, just my 2-cents.

perhaps ill send him a gift certificate for snap on tools,they rent balls.rent to own i believe.

A number of interesting points have been raised in this thread

Firstly, regarding the question of his "balls": Prince Harry is a decorated combat veteran who threatened to resign his commission when the powers that be initially refused to post him to Afghanistan. I think that covers that point

& as other commenters have correctly suggested, I for one don't believe a word that is published in the U.K. tabloid press

As to the more general point, the Royal Family are strong supporters of what we Brits refer to as field sports - several of them being noted shots. As anyone who has seen the gun room at Sandringham can testify to, what is in the rack there is the stuff of legend

That love of field sports is coupled with a commitment to sensible conservation. There are few countries that can say the same of their respective "first family".

Let's see how does

as with all things,time will tell.

Firstly, regarding the question of his "balls": Prince Harry is a decorated combat veteran who threatened to resign his commission when the powers that be initially refused to post him to Afghanistan. I think that covers that point

“Balls” in the face of the enemy may be a different thing entirely than “balls” in the face of his old lady.
Wait, that just doesn’t seem right...

Joking aside, he seems to be a lad of stout constitution. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves he deserves otherwise.
As edward said, time will tell.

Media spin on anything they are doing right now sells papers.
The Hysteria about the upcoming wedding is going global. "EVERYBODY, WANTS TO KNOW!"

I feel for both HRH Prince Henry (Harry) and HRH Prince William living in a fish bowl and being the target for every last nutter that chooses to post a comment about any aspect of their lives.

Both of these gentlemen have been quite candid with the public on a variety of subjects, which has gained my respect.

Both participate in field sports and have shown a genuine desire to support conservation, not preservation.

Anyone ever dumped their buddies for a hot date? :E In Love: Come on, be truthful now...
(Some of you old farts may not remember that far back) :)

He did not come out screaming against hunting, he skipped a shoot.
Hell, I skipped the last three days of the deer season this year.:E Shocked:
I'm sure no anti hunter.

& as other commenters have correctly suggested, I for one don't believe a word that is published in the U.K. tabloid press

As to the more general point, the Royal Family are strong supporters of what we Brits refer to as field sports - several of them being noted shots. As anyone who has seen the gun room at Sandringham can testify to, what is in the rack there is the stuff of legend

That love of field sports is coupled with a commitment to sensible conservation. There are few countries that can say the same of their respective "first family".

Let's see how does
No one here questions Harry's personal courage - so don't take umbrage over that. But speaking for myself, illustrating the position of the eunuch both parallels, and ably illustrates, the confines of what his official role will largely be.

True, the royals enjoy hunting, and such other related privilidges their position and status provides through winning the lottery of birth. No-one can deny that, as princes within the monarchy, this does provide them with a certain degree of insulation and immunity against the negative ramifications of being known as a hunter: yet still provides them with truly magnificent hunting opportunities. (I too love wing-shooting, but won't hold my breath for a personal invite through the post from either Prince Bill or Harry to drop in for the annual pheasant shoot).

But as for the official statements regarding their views on sensible conservation, I think the Duke of Edinburgh may need a little bit more coaching on that one.

Cheers!

That whole "royal" thing is a bunch of BS anyway. They are no better than anyone else. Like someone else said, they won the birth lottery. They should do away with Buckingham Palace. I definitely give him credit for his military credit as I do all veterans, here and abroad.

I respect both as they have to a degree broken away from the mould - and the other word "mold" is interchangeable here too! (Jeez!! I can be witty sometimes!! LOL!!). I also respect both Harry's overseas military service, and Bill's service as a helicopter rescue pilot.

That said, my point is despite them being pro-sustainable hunting or conservation, it's because of their birth right that they simply cannot enter into the debate over this (or any other) issue: and unfortunately, will only ever remain looking in from the sidelines, giving an occasional (even-handed) wave of support. :A Happy Wave:

Nevertheless, in keeping with their spirit of breaking away from the mold (interchangeable again! LOL!) I'd be deeply impressed and fully suportive if either, or both, publicly mentioned the benefits sustainable hunting provides, and it's contribution in increasing wild specie populations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.