Prices of African in Texas

Many do.
single animal safaris often are: leopard, buffalo, rhino, elephant, lion. I have seen single animal deals on sable and roan as well.
Could be found some more.
When you're hunting lion or leopard, who shoots the bait?

I could not, but I also wouldn't want it, so that is still a positive, at least for me.
I agree it isn't for me but if there wasn't a market for the hunts this wouldn't exist.

I know that I looked at a south Texas warthog hunt. It almost cost more than my hunt inSouth Africa this last June did.

I am sorry. Were I invited to a trophy room, and the host started to regale me about his awesome Bongo, Kudu, or Tahr taken just south of Kerrville, I am pretty sure I would excuse myself and go check out the TV to see who was playing football.

high fenced hunting of non-indigenous animals in Texas isn't something that appeals to me in any way.
I will

But only when it is the only way to take that animal

For example, I don’t think you can hunt S-H Oryx in Africa anymore

And I will happily hunt Free Range Nilgai and Blackbuck in Texas. I aint going to India to hunt even if you can hunt them in their homeland

But that is about it as far as hunting the listed animals in TX

Go price a markhor hunt in Texas. You could fill your truck for what it costs to hunt a wild one.

But yeah, nah....

I will

And I will happily hunt Free Range Nilgai and Blackbuck in Texas. I aint going to India to hunt even if you can hunt them in their homeland

I would too! I just want somebody else to pay for the hunt. I'll drive my truck and bring the meat back?LOL

if you hunt privite ranches in africa the prices are very low compared to texas. 7 of the animals i shot on that list were under 1000.00, the 8th was a eland for. 1400.00

DSCN9030 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The best reason I can see to hunt an African animal in Texas or anywhere in the states is MEAT, I’ve seen cow eland for as “little“ as 3500.00 I might be tempted just to fill the freezer.

I will

The key is the term "free range." Nilgai, Axis and Aoudad have essentially become new "indigenous" species across much of south central and southern Texas, extending into New Mexico. These are great, challenging hunts - particularly Nilgai and Aoudad. Like the Limpopo, the same animals can be potted behind a high fence. It tends to be not quite the same experience.

A Nilgai on the free range coastal plains of southern Texas are one of the wariest and most challenging animals I have ever hunted anywhere. An Aoudad taken from the mountains around Alpine or Marathon can be as challenging as a desert bighorn.

The same animal on a thousand acres behind a fence outside Kerrville in the Hill Country is a very different experience.

The key is the term "free range." Nilgai, Axis and Aoudad have essentially become new "indigenous" species across much of south central and southern Texas, extending into New Mexico. These are great, challenging hunts - particularly Nilgai and Aoudad. Like the Limpopo, the same animals can be potted behind a high fence. It tends to be not quite the same experience.

A Nilgai on the free range coastal plains of southern Texas are one of the wariest and most challenging animals I have ever hunted anywhere. An Aoudad taken from the mountains around Alpine or Marathon can be as challenging as a desert bighorn.

The same animal on a thousand acres behind a fence outside Kerrville in the Hill Country is a very different experience.
Agreed.

I dont' know of any free range S-H Oryx but Aoudad, Axis, Blackbuck and Nilgai can definately be taken Free Range in Texas.

Agreed.

I dont' know of any free range S-H Oryx but Aoudad, Axis, Blackbuck and Nilgai can definately be taken Free Range in Texas.
There are several herds of free range SH Oryx continuing to expand in the Alpine area. Two were started by land owners on open range during the last twenty years. I have no idea if anyone is offering hunts yet.

What would be expected cost to hunt Nilgai, Axis and Aoudad free range (not estate hunt) in Texas?
Are they free to shoot (being introduced), or there is a tag system?

There are more and more reports on free roaming warthogs in Texas.
How are they handled? (i mean, "managed"?)

What would be expected cost to hunt Nilgai, Axis and Aoudad free range (not estate hunt) in Texas?
Are they free to shoot (being introduced), or there is a tag system?

There are more and more reports on free roaming warthogs in Texas.
How are they handled? (i mean, "managed"?)
Keep in mind that "Free Range" does not equate to "Public Land".
There is not a ton of Public Land in Texas. There is some but it is pretty rugged and remote. And hopefully you don't run into drug smugglers and coyotes...not the small 4 legged dog kind. (think "No Country for Old Men")

"Free Range" still is mostly private property that simply ISN"T high fenced so you are still generally paying an outfitter to hunt, just like if you were paying to hunt private land for Mule Deer in Wyoming or Eastern Colorado

The license is cheap...and you don't need to draw tags generally. I see the hunts offered in the $3500-$4500 range +/-

+1 what Terminator said! I really wanted to hunt Aoudad last year and started researching early in the year. Found out that I could hunt high fenced for a “guaranteed” animal for cheaper than I ended up going. I didn’t go that route because it wasn’t what I wanted. I knew that I would never pay what it costs for a bighorn hunt but still wanted the experience.

I went with a guide in October. It was the most challenging hunt that I have had so far. Walking 8-9 miles the first day through those rocky hills in 90 + degree weather was very tough. Honestly, I was dehydrated and in the early stages of heat stroke before it was over. I drank around 6 bottles of water that day and never peed one time. His property was a little over 14,000 acres and had a low cattle fence around it. We had a group of them cross the property line and we just had to move on to find others The hunt at the time was $3,500 plus a $50 license. It was worth every penny and I scored on a 33” Gold medal free range ram.

That ranch also had some stud free range elk that is also considered non-native but those hunts were more than I was willing to pay. Lol

I know a couple real good outfitters for Aoudad. Private ranch hunts but low fence. PM if you want a couple names. Poor man's sheep hunts.

Or ask BLJC30 who he hunted with...

Thank you @TERMINATOR
I will keep you in mind.
My wife and me are planning in foreseeable future a trip to the states to see some friends.
When we get to more precise date, then I will drop you the message!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross