Prices of African in Texas

I have six safaris down in Africa. One hunt was a single animal. The next smallest was 3 animals. Generally speaking, even when on a single animal hunt, I will take an animal of opportunity on one or more occasions.

Those prices may be intended for folks with more money than sense.

My family has taken 3 Nilgai here in Texas and the total trophy fee was less than the fee listed above for one Nilgai. A couple of months ago my son and I shot Blackbuck (small African antelope) and the price was $500 for the first and the second one free! Drove down and back in one day and returned with a cooler full of meat after a fun shoot with friends followed by a belly full of tasty hamburgers.

As usual, there can be a BIG difference between opportunities. BTW my main reason for going was to shoot something with my newly regulated .45-90 DR --- Dead on out at 45 and 100 yards!

Would love to know where that blackbuck deal was @crs if you’d share.

"Blackbuck are not African"
Oopsie!!
I forgot they are from India . And I have a nice buck mounted, These were the first does I ever shot . Thanks for correcting me.

One of my friends, Joe, has been associated with the wild game ranch business for several years and when he finds a good deal, he contacts me. These deals are usually cull hunts to reduce an over population of one or more species. One time it was Axis, and another time cow elk, red deer, Nilgai, etc.

This herd of 100+ blackbuck was mostly does and had a few bucks. I told another buddy and he has already taken a buck from the ranch.

I will contact Joe on how to handle inquiries (I will not do it) and post on that.

I guess it’s a matter of perspective…the prices at the Texas high fence are a little on the high side compared to what I normally see but Labor and input costs in the US are considerably higher than in Africa. Personally the journey and adventure is what draws me to Africa!
I will say that as the increase challenges of traveling to Africa and more so with firearms is continuing to make travel to Texas more and more enticing. Time will tell.

HH

Just think, you could leave your job a little bit early on Friday afternoon and catch a flight to Texas. Get up Saturday morning and go shoot a couple of animals and perhaps another one on Sunday then hop a flight back home.

Let's see you do that with Africa from the US. It wouldn't be for everyone but they are takers out there who will do just what I described

Texas has become little more than a game ranch where you shoot animals fed from a bucket and cut the ear tags off for pics. It’s not hunting.

Oh there are several animals on the list that aren’t African but I wasn’t going to cut and paste. It was just a concept piece ;)

Kudu killed this week in Texas. I know this guy and his wife killed this freaky one.
64DB4066-05F7-4B27-A7B6-CDDB15BEDB40.jpeg

Just think, you could leave your job a little bit early on Friday afternoon and catch a flight to Texas. Get up Saturday morning and go shoot a couple of animals and perhaps another one on Sunday then hop a flight back home.

Let's see you do that with Africa from the US. It wouldn't be for everyone but they are takers out there who will do just what I described
Where’s the meat?! LOL

Those prices may be intended for folks with more money than sense.

My family has taken 3 Nilgai here in Texas and the total trophy fee was less than the fee listed above for one Nilgai. A couple of months ago my son and I shot Blackbuck (small African antelope) and the price was $500 for the first and the second one free! Drove down and back in one day and returned with a cooler full of meat after a fun shoot with friends followed by a belly full of tasty hamburgers.

As usual, there can be a BIG difference between opportunities. BTW my main reason for going was to shoot something with my newly regulated .45-90 DR --- Dead on out at 45 and 100 yards!
What DR is that? Looks nice.

I do, I hunt every year and Africa and take one animal at a time. Of course I realize I am more the exception than the rule :)
I mostly take one at a time too, makes it more special I feel. The exception is an add-on impala for camp meat or biltong. I like the build up to the hunt thinking upon that specific animal, then when you are there relentlessly pursuing it. Once mine is done it is as much fun to be with the next person taking theirs.

To each there own….I’ve been to Africa 3x…. I went for the animals& the experience.got those that cannot go or do not want to for whatever reason, it’s nice that there is an option for them. I have no problem with “exotic” hunting if done ethically.
Happy hunting!

BWH - a Texan

Actually, that Tahr price is fairly reasonable. Most New Zealand outfitters want $5k USD. By the time you add helicopter you are right at 7k. And you don’t have the airline ticket cost and long flight.

There's nothing in Texas that appeals to me quite like the real Africa. Not even close. Africa is a way better deal no matter how you slice it. And I wouldn't fly there for one animal, even an elephant. I'd definitely be taking whatever plains game jumped out at me while I'm there lol to each his own I guess.

I can fly to Namibia and shoot a Gemsbok for less than that.
This is what I was going to say. I live in San Antonio, looked into shooting a zebra at a Texas ranch, and decided it would make more sense to go have the real experience in Namibia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois