Price of a custom wood stock

Eric Anderson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA
How much can I expect to pay to have one made in the states? The only price I can find online is for one made from a copy of another. So it is not one made to custom size.

I’m sure there are others but I talked with Shurley brothers out of Austin Tx at the DSC. He had some beautiful stuff and was pleasant to talk with. I asked that question and he said starts at 3k for the stock put on existing gun. Best of luck.

You can be North of $5k plus blank cost pretty quickly when considering having a piece turned to your specifications and any other add ons you may want.
Several well know stock makers that do an outstanding job but that experience comes at a price.

Sit down when you are talking to them. Accurate Innovations has some nice options and you can see exactly what it will cost you as you pick options

When putting together a new rifle from the ground up, the stock design must be part of the overall design.
For instance, my Simpson DR has the Talley grooves milled into the rear rib to facilitate a very low scope mounting. This results in the scope line of sight as low as the express sight and that allows the stock to be made to mount the same for either express sight, scope sight, and in the case of Talley, the Talley peep sight which fits the same scope grooves.
This plus the right hand palm swell, cheek piece, recoil pad, and stock dimensions can make for a perfectly balanced shooting system for the person for whom it was designed.

Attachments

• 54557_600x400.jpg
    54557_600x400.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:
try making one yourself and value your time at $x.00 per hour.
you could outsource the checkering if you so desire.
remember that a truly great stock should also be made from a quarter sawn blank, and this will cost extra.
bruce.

try making one yourself and value your time at $x.00 per hour.
you could outsource the checkering if you so desire.
remember that a truly great stock should also be made from a quarter sawn blank, and this will cost extra.
bruce.
I make furniture on the side. I know how many hours go into it, and what I need to charge for it. This is beyond my expertise though, I could copy an existing stock and probably have 30 hours into it, start to finish, and $100 in consumables plus wear and tear on tools.
If I was satisfied with the fit of my existing stock though, I would not be wanting a custom built one.
That’s the rub, it is the wrist area that doesn’t fit that well, and I have no idea how to design it properly.

With craftsmanship, the actual work is pretty cheap, what you are paying for is the knowledge of the design.

I use LeRoy Barry, Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks. He is one of the best. He can get you into a full custom stock with exceptional wood for about $3k.

I have used Daniel Aubihl, 419-294-7570, for several side by side shotguns. His work is great
Approximate pricing for a dangerous game magazine rifle stocking is $1500 to $2000 with Checkering.
Wood will be extra although Dainiel has some English Walnut rifle blanks on hand.

And I neglected to mention that the overall rifle and stock design and wood selection was done by gun maker Bob Hynden who made the .405 WCF double rifle. The actual wood work was done by Brian Dudley who is well known for his work with Parker shotguns; http://bmdgunstocks.com/

Daniel Aubihl restocked a 450 NE express for me. Beautiful wood, high quality work, excellent customer service. Highly recommended.

Well, I've used Jim Kobe, David Christman, and James Anderson. Figure $4500+wood and extras. I get my wood from Roger Vardy in Australia.
David Christman Mexican Mauser in 7x57

725amq.jpg

Jim Kobe 458 Lott

20usqbt.jpg

9bd3x4.jpg

James Anderson 416 Rigby on a Mod17 Enfield
ifrj9j.jpg

23k7kac.jpg

Attachments

• 9bd3x4.jpg
    9bd3x4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • 20usqbt.jpg
    20usqbt.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 23k7kac.jpg
    23k7kac.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 725amq.jpg
    725amq.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF0032.jpg
    DSCF0032.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 217
  • ifrj9j.jpg
    ifrj9j.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 241
Well, I need to start setting aside money then.
I figure i still have a couple of years left until the wood I have finished curing out.

Roger Vardy's wood in Australia is at least cured 10 years. He is very reasonable, inexpensive shipping, and the money exchange rate is very good for the USA folks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 10.22.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 10.22.06 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 255
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 10.22.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 10.22.09 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
For the past 40 years or so I have had all my stockwork done by Gary Goudy of Dayton, WA. He has always charged right at $4000 for a complete custom job, not including wood. I also know James Tucker and he recently told me he charges about $6000 for a complete custom job, not including wood. Both these men do awesome work, but you will not get discounted prices. They are busy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg