cal pappas

Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gentlemen:
As many of you know, I am thinning out the majority of my double rifles and the stuff that goes with them. I have some brass and would like to get your opinion on what price to put on it, and also bullets. I can’t ship ammo out of Alaska so I won’t list any for sale.

All of the BELL brass I had has been sold and at the gun show all bullets for double rifles from common makers such Speer, Hornady, and Sierra.

What I do have remaining:

Bertram new brass, .600 nitro
Bertram new brass, .405 Winchester
Bertram new brass, 450 no2

Hornady new brass, .450-400 3”
Hornady new brass, .450-400 3 1/4”
Hornady new brass, .450 nitro

HH new brass, .577 3”

Woodleigh bullets:
.600 900 grains soft and solids
.577 750 grains soft and solids
.577 650 grains soft and solids
.500 570 grains soft and solids

Cutting Edge Bullets:
.577 650 grains Safari Solid

I understand some of the above may no longer be in production. I will keep what is currently available.
Thanks for looking and I appreciate your feed back.
Cal

I have no idea but, I was at a gunsmith a few days ago and he had some brass on consignment- it was once fired Weatherby 300 brass and it was $1.50 each. Which seemed quite high to me but the gunsmith said it now sells for considerably more. that's the problem when I buy a box of bulk brass 10 years ago and haven't monitored the increase in price of anything copper.

@cal pappas on the Bertram brass Graf and Sons list 600NE for239.99( Instock) 450 No2 147.99 (in stock) No listing for 405, . On the hornaday 450/400 brass midway currently list 20 rounds for $49.99(out of stock) and Graf and Sons 46.99(in stock), 450NE46.99 (not in stock) all the 450/400 3.25 no one has in stock. So for the instock stuff a price close to that would be fair. The out of stock is what ever the demand will pay for.

Woodleigh softs and solids in 500 are 36 and 48 for 25. So any price in that ball park
577 are 53 and 70 for 25 both in stock at midway.
600 are 70 for 25 softs couldn't find any solids but my guess that $100 for 25 is in the ball park.

With the current state of brass and bullet supply on the popular smaller cases prices are crazy for stuff that isn't available. A friend of mine that owns a shop has had people come by for 300 miles away to just see if he has any of the common pistol and black rifle rounds in stock. But the panic buying with all the current (Covid, election, street violent protests) it will be a couple years before they are able to fill the current back orders in his opinion.

I just want to be sitting buy a fire in africa with a cup of coffee in my hand looking forward to see what Africa provides for that days adventure.

Gentlemen:
As many of you know, I am thinning out the majority of my double rifles and the stuff that goes with them. I have some brass and would like to get your opinion on what price to put on it, and also bullets. I can’t ship ammo out of Alaska so I won’t list any for sale.

All of the BELL brass I had has been sold and at the gun show all bullets for double rifles from common makers such Speer, Hornady, and Sierra.

What I do have remaining:

Bertram new brass, .600 nitro
Bertram new brass, .405 Winchester
Bertram new brass, 450 no2

Hornady new brass, .450-400 3”
Hornady new brass, .450-400 3 1/4”
Hornady new brass, .450 nitro

HH new brass, .577 3”

Woodleigh bullets:
.600 900 grains soft and solids
.577 750 grains soft and solids
.577 650 grains soft and solids
.500 570 grains soft and solids

Cutting Edge Bullets:
.577 650 grains Safari Solid

I understand some of the above may no longer be in production. I will keep what is currently available.
Thanks for looking and I appreciate your feed back.
Cal
Good morning Cal
Sandra and I are going to the cabin this morning. Thought we would stop by and say hello on Sunday. Don’t sell “my” rifle please.

AZ Dave: thanks, your post is most helpful.
Robert: Yes. I've sold 20 doubles in 2+ years with 8 to go. More ammo, brass, books, than aI know what to do with. Four drawers of a filke cabinet with Africa and double articles from the 1940s-1980s, catalogs, etc. Selling over the internet is a pain as 99% are tire kickers. Gun shows are best but limited market for my stuff here in alaska. I may take my rifles to some qun shows in the States in April and May. Plus Skulls, mounts, art, etc., from Africa.

@cal pappas of the 8 doubles you have left can you tell me what you have, I am in the market for another double. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill: They are:
double rifle:
450 no2 Lang
450-400 Gibbs
12-bore Rodda
20-577 Holland
8-bore Locke
577-500 Gye and Moncrieff with extra and original 12-bore shotgun barrels (in two tier oak case with many accessores for both barrels, and amazing history of the original owner)

double shotguns:
8-bore Needham
8-bore Scott with extra and original 10-bore barrels for ball
plus a 12- and a 10-bores shotguns.

I am selling the doubles to fund some knitting needles and fabric.
Cal

Last edited:
450 no2 brass has been sold.
Thanks,
Cal

Cal: The Lang 450 No2 is a beautiful rifle.

Thanks. It's ohe of the best I have and targets 10 shots in 2" at 50 yards.
Cal

Yes I have 5 boxes of Bertram new brass remaining. All once fired brass and other new brass has been sold. I have been told the .405 is out of stock and out of production. The same individual told me it should sell for $100 a box as it is not available. Is that fair? I have a .405 rifle for sale and will include the brass in the rifle sale if it does not sell. What do you think?
Cal

Regarding the post above about panic buying and shortages:

The local news channel just showed a line around a small gun shop in a small East Texas town not far from me because they posted on Facebook they were scheduled for an ammo delivery yesterday.

Before store opening when employees got there, they already had a line of people outside in the cold ~30MPH wind. They had customers from over 600 miles away drive in and a whole bunch in the ~300 mile range.

They sold $30,000 of ammo in one day at this small rural store!

With new never before gun owners now in the market, if they bought only two boxes of ammo, that would exceed production capacity right now. Remington's (Freedom Group) bankruptcy taking down the largest ammunition plant in the USA didn't help but, thankfully now they are back at full production 24x7. Now add ammo hoarders and we have the situation now which is just like the recent Toilet Paper craziness.

What? No TP on the shelf! :eek: Panic and run around like a chicken with its head cut off ...

Thankfully I don't need TP right now and, as I walk by some in another store, I rush to get a shopping cart and stack it high and overflowing with toilet paper! Just kidding :ROFLMAO:

In my little rural town about 2 months ago, I was chatting with the lady behind me at the grocery store thinking they must have moved here from Dallas like so many others. Nope, turns out she drove down from KANSAS looking for TP because Kansas was OUT! :ROFLMAO:

This ammo situation is not a whole lot different from my recent TP experience ...

Periodic ammo draughts and ammo shortages in America never stop to amaise me. (land of guns and gun industry - i mean - GUN INDUSTRY!!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg