Press statement on the illegal hunt of a collared lion in Hwange District on July 1, 2015

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
PRESS STATEMENT ON THE ILLEGAL HUNT OF A COLLARED LION IN HWANGE DISTRICT ON 1 JULY 2015 BY THE MINISTER OF ENVIRONMENT,WATER AND CLIMATE, HONOURABLE O.C.Z MUCHINGURI AT ZIMBABWE PARKS AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY HEAD OFFICE ON 31 JULY 2015.

Ladies and gentlemen I make this statement with great sadness following the loss of an iconic attraction Cecil, the lion which we had successfully managed to look after both in terms of conservation and protection from a cub to a fully grown lion of 13 years. This is a lion we have been using for the purposes of research to monitor its movement patterns within the range of Hwange National Park and its surrounding areas.

The Government of Zimbabwe through the Parks and Wildlife Act Chapter 20:14 is mandated to manage and conserve wildlife in the country. This function is exercised through the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, whose main mandate is to conserve Zimbabwe’s wildlife heritage by ensuring that there is sustainable utilization of the natural resources. The Authority is charged with the responsibility to administer and regulate hunting, carry out antipoaching operations, carry out outreach programmes, manage human-wildlife conflicts, undertake research and to monitor programmes.

Trophy hunting in Zimbabwe can be conducted in safari areas, private land and CAMPFIRE areas and is regulated through the Parks and Wildlife Act Chapter 20:14. Hunting quotas are therefore allocated on a sustainable basis using scientifically proven methodologies on the wildlife populations available. Area specific hunting quotas and permits are issued out to land owners on an annual basis. Each hunting permit specifies the species, numbers and sexes of animals to be hunted in specific hunting areas. Trophy hunting is done and supervised by qualified professional hunters whose licenses are issued by the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and can be withdrawn in the event of breaching any hunting laws and regulations.

There are two forms of wildlife utilization, i.e. consumptive and non-consumptive. Consumptive utilization is done in specific hunting areas for example safari areas such as Chewore, Chete and Matetsi. Non-consumptive utilization is done in strictly non-hunting areas for example national parks such as Hwange National Park, which was home to Cecil and his pride.

Ladies and gentlemen, on the 7th of July 2015 after receiving a tip-off, our law enforcement officers immediately started investigating the matter and discovered that on the 1st of July 2015, this lion was illegally killed by Dr Walter Palmer, a United States of America national and Theo Bronkhorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris on Antoinette farm in Gwayi River Conservancy. The lion had a fitted GPS satellite collar as part of current research efforts being done in Hwange National Park and its surrounding areas. The lion was well known and regularly sighted by tourists.

Mr Honest Trymore Ndlovu owner of Antoinette farm was issued with a hunting quota for 2015 which excluded lions. Antoinette Farm is located in Gwayi River Conservancy in the Hwange Rural District and is adjacent to Hwange National Park. The professional hunter is alleged to have connived with the Antoinette land owner to kill the lion. The incident came to the attention of the Authority on the 7th of July 2015 through an informer. This was followed by an investigation which clearly demonstrated that the illegal killing was deliberate. Firstly the land owner was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015. Secondly, the use of a bow and an arrow was meant to conceal the illegal hunt by using a means that would not alert the rangers on patrol.

Execution of the illegal hunt violated a number of provisions of the Parks and Wildlife Act.
  • The professional hunter violated Section 66 of the Act which regulates the manner in which trophy hunts are conducted.
  • Both the client, Dr Palmer and the professional hunter violated Section 123 of the Act which controls the use of bow and arrow for hunting.
  • The client also violated the Act through financing an illegal hunt.
  • The land owner violated Section 59 of the Act which controls hunting on private land in that he allowed a hunt to be conduct without quota and necessary permit.

From investigations carried out so far it shows that the whole poaching event was properly orchestrated and well financed to make sure that it succeeds. The professional hunter, client and land owner were therefore all engaged in poaching of the lion.

As we frantically try to protect our wildlife from organized gangs such as this one, there are people who command respect in the society such as Dr Walter James Palmer, a well known dentist and Theo Bronkhorst, an experienced licensed professional hunter who can connive to undermine Zimbabwean laws, international laws and CITES regulations. One can conclude with confidence that Dr Palmer being an American citizen had a well orchestrated agenda which would tarnish the image of Zimbabwe and further strain the relationship between Zimbabwe and the USA. This must be condemned in the strongest possible terms by all genuine animal loving conservationists who believe in sustainable utilization of natural resources.

I take this opportunity, therefore to appeal to all conservationists, animal lovers and all institutions interested in the protection of wildlife biodiversity to come forward and assist the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority with resources to undertake its mandate effectively in areas such as game water management, antipoaching, road and fire guard maintenance, and transport. It is important that we all ensure that the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority is adequately resourced to conserve and protect our biodiversity from organized international poaching as happened in this case. Failure to adequately resource the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority can easily subject our antipoaching units to temptation from those offering huge financial rewards for illegal activities.

Lastly let me thank our law enforcement agencies who upon receiving information of the illegal hunt acted swiftly and apprehended the locally based poachers who are now facing the wrath of law but unfortunately it was too late to apprehend the foreign poacher as he had already absconded to his country of origin. We are appealing to the responsible authorities for his extradition to Zimbabwe so that he be made accountable for his illegal actions.

I thank you.

Source: The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority

At last we hear the facts, if this is the case they all need to be brought to book!!! They have caused irreversible damaged to the hunting industry. A lot of ZIM hunters have had hunts cancelled, even at OR T ambo the other day, I was chatting to ph's lost major bookings.

If this is how it happened, then i agree that the law should run its course. It is a pity though as it could be very detrimental to the already fragile hunting industry in Zim.

yup simon, but even through all that they still manage to get the begging bowl out after they have fkd up the country and its infrastructure.........

"I take this opportunity, therefore to appeal to all conservationists, animal lovers and all institutions interested in the protection of wildlife biodiversity to come forward and assist the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority with resources to undertake its mandate effectively in areas such as game water management, antipoaching, road and fire guard maintenance, and transport"

At last we hear the facts, if this is the case they all need to be brought to book!!! They have caused irreversible damaged to the hunting industry. A lot of ZIM hunters have had hunts cancelled, even at OR T ambo the other day, I was chatting to ph's lost major bookings.

I'm still going to wait before passing judgment Simon.

This is a press release, not court documents. And we all know that press releases are generally sided for a specific agenda and to get a specific point across. In this case I find it interesting that this release also all but comes out and asks for general donations to Parks. I don't have a problem with donations being asked for, but that is part of the motive here., not just to declare guilt.

There is still a court case that needs to be tried. And then if the same information still comes out, they will get what they deserve at that time.

Royal, I hear you, but no way they can place a fact, no quota if not the case...

Reactions: Ado
They can if it turns out they did one of those stupid quota transfers that Zim allowed. Idiotic, but legal!

So due to that, even if the landowner had no lion quota it doesn't mean the hunt was illegal.

I will disagree, the whole thing stinks!!!

I will disagree, the whole thing stinks!!!

Oh, don't take me wrong, I think at the end of the day you could very well be right. And if you are, I hope examples are made!

Just not ready to condemn before the court case.

And exactly why I'm willing to wait another month before condemning, or proclaiming that the whole group was innocent and taken advantage of by people with an agenda!

Royal...notice..I did say...if this is the case...

A few questions still remain for me:

1. I've read of bowhunting DG in Zim numerous times, why is it now declared illegal?

2. This press release does nothing to prove to me that Dr. Palmer was somehow engaged in this conspiracy as an active participant versus just being a rich guy trying to get a lion hunt. He may have been, but please show me the proof.

3. As Royal says, there is this practice of quota swapping that until this whole incident I've never heard about. If this was what happened and with the blessing and regulation of the Zim Parks dept. then it was not an illegal hunt. Or maybe it is and this quota swapping deal isn't documented to be legal but has been a great way for some folks to take bribes. However at the same time when quota is issued specific to an area, it had better spell out clearly it is for that area and that area only. Either way once again, Dr. Palmer may have had no knowledge that this is how the lion tag was secured. These are the kinds of details that need to be revealed I think before arriving at a conclusion.

Whatever the truth of this matter may be, I agree Simon the whole thing stinks.

a lot of typical flowery speech used ...... iconic....sorry to nobody apart from the guides who had contact with the lion during photo safaris and the tourists and researchers whom i dont think would have numbered in reality a great amount. this lion wasnt the only male in hwange . they looked after it o_O....sorry it was wild and therefore taking its chances

"Ladies and gentlemen I make this statement with great sadness following the loss of an iconic attraction Cecil, the lion which we had successfully managed to look after both in terms of conservation and protection from a cub to a fully grown
lion of 13 years"

as for this... sorry but a load of bullshit!!

"One can conclude with confidence that Dr Palmer being an American citizen had a well orchestrated agenda which would tarnish the image of Zimbabwe and further strain the relationship between Zimbabwe and the USA."

and i could go on pulling other parts of the statement down here and questioning them , but cant be bothered.............

if they can rig the quota deal they can also rig the trial.whos going to tell the world the truth? the media?

if they can rig the quota deal they can also rig the trial.whos going to tell the world the truth? the media?

Remember though, they (meaning Zim gov) will do what is in their own best interest. And, a witch hunt and railroad conviction of an American hunter isn't in their best interest. They still want hunter $$$. A rigged trial would cripple that. Not saying in can't happen, but don't think it likely.

But, if they can scream about it, keep hunter dollars, and get anti dollars that they didn't get in the past what a beautiful thing from their perspective. They are riding the line, just like Vegas with the point spread.

We are appealing to the responsible authorities for his extradition to Zimbabwe so that he be made accountable for his illegal actions.

I thank you.

Source: The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority

Made accountable? As in a lynching BEFORE he is even tried?

I have for years, refrained from commenting about others choices to hunt in Zimbabwe.

I firmly believe in free will, the free market, and do understand the enormous pressures and challenges wildlife and those
brave professionals who manage the conservation there are under.

I do understand that management costs money, and without the money and management the flora and fauna will suffer.

I am supportive of both the professional and their clients in Zimbabwe.

That said, unless or until The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority either clarifies or retracts the portion
I have quoted above, there is not a chance in hell my family I will ever set foot in their beautiful and diverse country.

Last edited:
Remember though, they (meaning Zim gov) will do what is in their own best interest. And, a witch hunt and railroad conviction of an American hunter isn't in their best interest. They still want hunter $$$. A rigged trial would cripple that. Not saying in can't happen, but don't think it likely.

But, if they can scream about it, keep hunter dollars, and get anti dollars that they didn't get in the past what a beautiful thing from their perspective. They are riding the line, just like Vegas with the point spread.
i dont think they know what their best interest is.look at their country.magabe still alive.one american dollar can buy a suitcase full of their money.i think they are prime examples of ,cut off their nose to spite their face.

Very possible edward. Im tyically an optimist. ...

Unfortunately Dr Palmer has lost his credibility "IF" the allegations of his past hunting transgressions are true. But, being the cynic that I am, I believe very little that is put forth by either the media or the internet; they are both strictly businesses that thrive on sensationalism, not integrity or ethics by any stretch of the imagination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!