Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
In my Pelican 1750 rifle case, there is space for two rifles.
I will take only one rifle to Africa (this time). So there is some extra space.

Question:
What other smaller items, equipment, bits and pieces do you guys put into your rifle case for travel together with your rifle?
Like - Shooting stick, binos, range finder, knife, etc?

Do you put your rifle scope in pelican case, or do you take it in hand laguagge?

I usually pack my knives in my gun case, but carry my optics with me in my carry on (daypack). I buy a new insert for each rifle or combo of rifles I travel with and cut them to fit what I'm bringing with me. I try to keep things separated as I've read stories of various agencies throwing fits over what's in the gun case with your rifles.

Configurations from my first and second trips to South Africa:

4H0wsF6l.jpg
cnlM226l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually pack my knives in my gun case, but carry my optics with me in my carry on (daypack). I buy a new insert for each rifle or combo of rifles I travel with and cut them to fit what I'm bringing with me. I try to keep things separated as I've read stories of various agencies throwing fits over what's in the gun case with your rifles.

Configurations from my first and second trips to South Africa:

View attachment 464715View attachment 464716

What case is this?

Boyt H51

Perfect. My 1750 didn’t survive my last trip and I’m in the market for a replacement. I like that layout, not enough room in the Pelican to do that.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In my Pelican 1750 rifle case, there is space for two rifles.
I will take only one rifle to Africa (this time). So there is some extra space.

Question:
What other smaller items, equipment, bits and pieces do you guys put into your rifle case for travel together with your rifle?
Like - Shooting stick, binos, range finder, knife, etc?

Do you put your rifle scope in pelican case, or do you take it in hand laguagge?
I keep the scope on the gun and put a gear bag with some misc stuff in there.

Is a fixed blade knife allowed in the airline rifle case?

I always pack my knives (fixed blade and folder) in the rifle case.. Have traveled like that with Qatar, American, and United to South Africa.. and never had a problem with any of them...

It’s a volume vs weight issue. I have a Tuffpack that I can stuff a lots of clothes and sleeping bag in which is added protection for the gun in a soft case. Also, including only soft material keeps the x-ray images clean which helps eliminate suspicions. Add heavyer objects too make weight limits, if needed.

I usually put binos, knives, etc in the gun case.

What I would not do is pack a bunch of clothes and such in the gun case. I see people do this and it just gets messy going through security and customs.

Take the foam out, place rifle in a soft gun bag, and pack your clothes around it.
Eliminates the need for a second item of luggage, and gives you a soft bag to use in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you