Website
dhuntmag.com
Media
Member of
Safari Club Intl. / NRA / Serve Outdoors
Hunted
South Africa
I leave next Saturday!

I'd often wondered what it would take to make it to Africa someday, all that goes into the planning, prep and packing, especially the packing. Well, since today is a week and two days away from my second trip over, I think I have a pretty firm grasp of it now. Turns out that the packing is the smallest part of the whole process.

First of all, as part of the Safari Club Pathfinder award, I was given a safari to Namibia which includes a friend to go with me. That friend for me is one of my childhood friend, Greg Goerig.

For the past 4 weeks, I've been working on getting everything I need to have with me in order to take my rifle. That's the main difference between my last safari and this one. Ever since I found out I was getting to go back with the Pathfinder award, I decided to take my own gun. Then when Vortex Optics became one of my sponsors, the deal was sealed.

Here's the list I was told I needed to have to bring a gun:
1. Passport
2. Invitation letter from my PH
3. US Customs Form 4457
4. SAP (South African Police) temporary permit (for overnight stay in JoBurg)
5. Namibia Permit for Hunting Safari
6. Ammo in a lock box in luggage

That looks like a lot, I know, but it's not. #4 & #5 can be filled out once you arrive at the airport, and I'm told that we may not need the SAP permit if we can check our bags all the way through to Namibia. I hope we can because it'll save $100.

Another key addition to this trip is the Afton Guest House in JoBurg. They cater to hunters and they'll meet you at the airport to help you through the gun permit process while also providing all the transportation that you'll need. I love that! The Safari Club contacts came through with that one.

The second project we had to take care of was our part of Safari Care's blue bag program. It's basically where hunters going on safari volunteer to take relief supplies for school-age kids in the area where they'll be hunting. Lucky for me, I had a friend who took it upon herself to spearhead this project for us. I'll go into those details later, but she and her high school FCCLA classes came through with over 150 pounds of donations (school supplies, sports equipment, games, clothes, etc.) for Greg and me to try to figure out how to haul over there. A lot of airlines will let you take safari care bags for free, but after contacting Delta twice about it and getting 2 'blah blah blah we can't's in return, I'm not holding onto too much hope of that happening. It's for a good cause though. We'll pay if we have too.

Now, this doesn't leave us with much room for clothes. I'm already taking a rifle, a blue bag, one suitcase, an extra suitcase for my travel shower chair, and one carry-on bag. Before I can start packing, I have Greg's clothes (his suitcase is filled with donations), a lock box for ammo and about 10 pounds of supplies to go in my suitcase & carry-on. I'm thinking that we can get by on 3 changes of clothes apiece, I hope.

So the itinerary is set. I board a plane in Houston next Saturday for Atlanta, GA, then it's the 16 hr flight to Johannesburg where we spend one night at Afton House and the next morning we catch a short SAA flight to Windhoek, Namibia. Someone from Oelofse Safaris is supposed to meet us there. Nothing to it right?

For a disabled traveler, it's these long flights that cause the most angst. I'll be taking an extra memory foam cushion to sit on (sometimes I use the gel pack off my cushion), dressing warm for the long cold flight (I'll probably wear under armor compression to help with circulation and to keep my legs warmer) and bringing an empty bottle to use as a "portable latrine." I'm lucky that that's pretty much all I need to make it. In addition, we're bringing an ipad with movies & music on it (you can't count on airlines having anything decent to watch), a book to read, lots of snack food and something to help me sleep (like melatonin).

That's enough for today. I'll be blogging on my DHM site while on my trip so get ready for the updates.

It sounds like you have a really good attitude that as a disabled person, will serve you well in your travels. Those long flights are hard enough for those of us who are relatively normal and I use that term advisedly for myself! My hats off to you. Good luck!

It appears that you have everything covered...

We will await your return to see how successful your safari was...

Have a great trip...

Good luck Wheelz. I'll be watching for your posts.

Have a good one sir.
and looking forward to your feed back
All the best,
ibie

i just spoke with my outfitter. weather is cool and the vegetation is very thick this year because of the rains. should make for a very challenging hunt. good luck.

Wish you a pleasant trip, and a great hunt !

Have a great trip wheels, I will be there in a week.

If you are flying Delta, even in coach class you will have an unbelievable selection of on demand movies. I just made the flight from Jburg to Atlanta on Delta in coach and watched like 5 movies in my seat.

Good luck hunting!

You are very well prepared! I hope you have a awesome trip and come back to AH and post pictures and tell us about your hunting trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,