Preferred powder for 25-'06?

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
Next week or two, I am taking delivery of a new, custom Ruger No. 1 in 25-'06. I'd like to start load development and have a number of powders that might be suitable; MRP, N204, H4831SC, IMR 7828 and 7828SSC, RL22, H870 and a couple others. So many choices I thought I'd ask here?

I have several boxes of Nosler AB 110s and BT 100s.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been satisfied with Hodgdon or IMR4831 powders for 120's in my .25-06 Sako AV. And for the 100 grain bullets I like H or IMR4350. I found magnum primers were very slightly more consistent than standard primers too.

All the powders you mention work well. However, I’ve had great results with Hodgdon’s Hybrid 100V. I use it with both the 100gr and 115gr Barnes TSX. Great combination of velocity and accuracy.

My most accurate load is 54 grains of RL22 with a velocity of 3300 fps, but 56 grains wasn't bad but I'll sacrifice some velocity for accuracy any day

As that's a popular deer/antelope/varmint round in America, you should have NO trouble finding pet handloads online. That said, don't go crazy w/ pressures as that single-shot does not have the extraction power of a bolt-action! ;) IMR 4350/4831/7828/RL19 work well in that one in order of decreasing V (I've had a pile of 25s and burned the bbls out of many!) Idt too much load development is required for such a well documented round. 50ish gr of IMR 4350 w/ all the proper prep and a seating depth ideal for your rifle, using 100 gr pills, and that should do it! The 2506 uses pretty much the same loads as the 257 Ackley (i.e. 50.0-51 gr of 4350 will yield between 3,300-3,450 in both guns depending upon bbl length, primer, chamber dimensions, temp., etc.) RL19 fills the case better, and similar Vs, but isn't always most accurate in every gun. If you're headed to Africa with it, use the heaviest 120+ gr slugs (but there are of course better choices, unless you're doing the pygmy antelope slam, springbok and impala.) They sell 0.250" hardwood and soft metal rods at the store if you get any cases stuck. Stuck cases will fold a cleaning rod. ;) OMT-there's NO advantage to using SSC (super-short cut) powder in a LA cartridge (it's simply the same #, cut into shorter rods, to stuff as much powder into a Short cartridge like WSM, et. al.) Don't waste your time in a long 06 case. 100%+/- case full loads shoot consistently best (no air space, powder column doesn't change at diff angles, etc.)

Remember RL-22 is temperature sensitive. Most of the others would do well for you.
Bruce
Bruce,

I found a table with temperature sensitivity data. I've also read that at typical hunting distances, say 300 yards or less, temperature sensitivity is not a major deal. For 1000 yard target shooter, it is significant. From the table, I see why H4350 is well liked. RL23 is not listed on this table, but I've read where it is essentially a temp stable version of RL22. I've been wanting to try some RL23, but not at $100 per pound or more.

Comments?

Dave

1648345475383.png

IMR 4350 and it's (more modern) eq. Varget are winners! Super consistent/accurate. Use the 1st in 257, 757, anything 06 case, and Varget in the 458 WM and 416 Taylor.

Where T sensitivity IS a problem, is when you have your fav max (maybe even compressed) load that shoots 1-hole groups (at 45F in typ New England nice days afield) and you happily pack it up to hunt TX or Namibia (or Cameroon!) and you find that, in those places, flames shoot out of the bbl in low light, you get 1 shot (as it's overpressure and the case sticks in the chamber,) and in all likelihood the shot was quite a bit higher than expected! ('had these experiences early on using 7828 in 257 Wby and 7828/RL 22 in 338 A-Sq.) Always test your loads in the heat of summer, if Africa or 100F pronghorn or prairie dogs/woodchucks are in your future. This often results in re-calibration (dropping the pet load by 0.5-3 gr for the sake of consistency.) How the long-range velocity is affected, is of secondary concern in most factory guns. An old-timer knew I loved woodchuck hunting, so in '07 he picked me up on my birthday and took me around to a bunch of new-to-me farms never hunted. He had a #1 in 25-06 and I my new 264 WSM (it was all dialed in-just practicing for bigger things to come.) We had a great day in the heat until a lightning storm began at day's end. No issues with either, after a considerable amount of reloading trial & error. That fly is still bugging me about the gun to this day! After 2,000+ rds of hot handloads, it needs to be re-barreled (groups have opened up to neary 1" on this Bansner's Ultimate Ovis-and that's paltry!) lol

TheFarmz082607 013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CW... I live in SE Arizona. In the mountains. A nice day here is 85 to 95 degrees. This rifle is intended for Coues deer hunting (and New Mexico antelope). Long difficult shots at tiny deer over substantial distances.

I load RL-22 in my 7mm RM loads and it preforms well. Sub MOA groups. If I could find more RL-22, I'd probably start with that, but I'd prefer to find a powder that I can dedicate to the 25-'06.

Thanks for your insight... much appreciated.

'Friend in Tucson is a city EMT by day, but guide and expert Coues hunter on weekends and time off (he guides up in WY during their deer/elk/antelope season.) Darryl Newburn. Yeah that's like typ summer high temps in the NE! Not hard to kill either them or the speed goats, so the 100 gr will work just fine (You might even wish to try the Berger Hunting bullets, as they may group even better.) That said, most 257s I've had shoot 100 gr Nos PT, BT, Accubond, SSTs 5-shots touching or better (like a varmint gun.) You will have much success with it! Is the #1 bbl 26"? My 1 Wby and 257 AI custom really like that bbl length (the AI is nearly identical to what you've got.) Will you use normal bullets or did you get the twist to support the high bc 130+ gr bullets? Even the right 100 gr bullets sans any wind have enough E to kill out to 750-850 yds, but nothing compares to the latest, greatest ballistics of the heavier slugs. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.33.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.33.06 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.33.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.33.07 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.33.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.33.10 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 100
i have not found or had any extraction problems with any of the ruger #1,s i have owned(13) or the ones i own now (5). they have extracted any and all loads or reloads i have fired in them. .223-35 whelen-.460 S&W-45-70-475 linebaugh.

'Friend in Tucson is a city EMT by day, but guide and expert Coues hunter on weekends and time off (he guides up in WY during their deer/elk/antelope season.) Darryl Newburn. Yeah that's like typ summer high temps in the NE! Not hard to kill either them or the speed goats, so the 100 gr will work just fine (You might even wish to try the Berger Hunting bullets, as they may group even better.) That said, most 257s I've had shoot 100 gr Nos PT, BT, Accubond, SSTs 5-shots touching or better (like a varmint gun.) You will have much success with it! Is the #1 bbl 26"? My 1 Wby and 257 AI custom really like that bbl length (the AI is nearly identical to what you've got.) Will you use normal bullets or did you get the twist to support the high bc 130+ gr bullets? Even the right 100 gr bullets sans any wind have enough E to kill out to 750-850 yds, but nothing compares to the latest, greatest ballistics of the heavier slugs. Enjoy!
CW -

The rifle has a 25" Brux barrel, with 9-1/2" twist, McLaughlin forend hanger, and has generally been worked over. I will post a photo when I have it in my hands. Scope is a S&B Summit 2.5 - 10X... really nice scope. I also have a .257 Roberts (Dakota 76) but not AI. I expect to shoot 110 and 120 grain bullets. I tend to like Noslers because they have always worked well for me. The Nosler Accubond 140 shoots very well in my 7mm RM from my 24" Hobaugh barrel.

Not taking this rifle to Africa this year, but will hunt Coues deer with it this fall and I am planning a New Mexico trip next year.

Last edited:
Bruce,

I found a table with temperature sensitivity data. I've also read that at typical hunting distances, say 300 yards or less, temperature sensitivity is not a major deal. For 1000 yard target shooter, it is significant. From the table, I see why H4350 is well liked. RL23 is not listed on this table, but I've read where it is essentially a temp stable version of RL22. I've been wanting to try some RL23, but not at $100 per pound or more.

Comments?

Dave

View attachment 459194
Good information, I've not seen that chart before. Thanks!

Viht N160 and N165 will do a lot of good things for you
SCrumbag - I only recently started messing with VihtaVouri powders - stumbled across a great deal o 4 lbs of N-150 that I am using for loads in my .404 Jeffery. Works well in 30-'06 and .375 H&H also. I've been wanting to try N-160/165 and N-560 in my 7mm RM, but no joy in finding any for sale yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg