Preferred gun weight and barre length of 9.3x74

sernv99

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a like new Browning/FN Herstal custom shop double O/U rifle in 9.3x74 from a private seller. He needs the cash fast, so he is willing to let it go for about $4700 USD. Barrel is 24 inches with a weight of just over 7 lbs. I would like to get into double rifles and like Browning firearm products but a 7lb double rifle in 9.3x74 seems way too light for this round? What would be the lightest gun weight you would go in a double rifle for a 9.3x74? What about barrel length?

Thanks.

Hello sernv99, I have a Sabatti 9.3x74R that weighs 7lbs 4oz. The rifle fits me very well and the recoil isn't bad at all. As long as the rifle fits you properly it should be fine unless you are sensitive to recoil.

I have a Chapuis and a Pedersoli both in 9.3X74R. The Chapuis is less than 7# IIRC and the Kodiak is about 9#. I prefer the Chapuis with the 23.75" tubes. The Pedersoli is too heavy IMO.

Sernv99,

It must be fine balanced rifle chambered for .366 , the barrel length for O/U is optimum , & since its a custom rifle the owner must have had taken care of all the minute technicalities. If the rifle suits your requirement & is comfortable in practical usage you certainly should be decisive in procuring a custom piece instead of having one from the regular line of production...

Happy Buying a fine custom double ( once you do please share the photos)

Monish

I am looking at buying a like new Browning/FN Herstal custom shop double O/U rifle in 9.3x74 from a private seller. He needs the cash fast, so he is willing to let it go for about $4700 USD. Barrel is 24 inches with a weight of just over 7 lbs. I would like to get into double rifles and like Browning firearm products but a 7lb double rifle in 9.3x74 seems way too light for this round? What would be the lightest gun weight you would go in a double rifle for a 9.3x74? What about barrel length?

Thanks.

Of the O/U double rifles the Brownings are one of the best! The average barrel linght in 9.3X74R double rifle is 24 inches, and in an O/U that is about perfect. The Merkel S/S model 141 double rifle chambered for 9.3X74 has 23 inch barrels, and weighs in at about 7 lbs, and with a good recoil pad, and if it fits you like the Merkel it will work. I have two double rifles chambered for the 9.3X74R a Winchester grand Europien ,O/U and Merkel 140E S/S. The Winchester weighs 8 pounds without the scope attached, and the Merkel weighs 8.3 pounds, and the O/U theough lighter feels about tha same as the heavier Merkel as far as recoil goes.

Before you buy the Browning you need to find out if it regulates well, but the quality is there, if it fits you and shoots well it is worth the asking price.

Good luck, and when you get the rifles let me welcome you to the DRSS (link in my sig line below)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois