Pre64 Model 70, 30-06 to 458

Let me rephrase my question. Did you buy the 300 RUM for that purpose or decide to convert it from a gun you didn't care for?

I purposely bought a .300RUM in M70 because first it's a M70. The M70's just generally feel the best in my hands and I prefer the 3 position safety. I bought the 300RUM because it only takes a minor amount of work to make it work for a 404J. The RUM calibers have the same length action as the .404J.

I found a smith nearby that should be able to do it either way. I've decided to keep it simple and just stick with the 458 Win Mag. However I've had a move in the meantime, and the barrel is stuck in a storage unit.

Saw someone else mention a 404; long before I bought the pre64 in question I bought a model 70 in 300RUM, sent it to PacNor and it's now a 404J. More important than the length, is the magazine box. 404 (with some very minor changes like a rebated rim) is the parent case for the RUM's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.