Practice session with the Ruger #1 450/400

Sturgeondrjb

AH member
Reaction score
Getting ready for my upcoming Cape Buffalo/ Kudu hunt with Ken Moody. Using 400 gr Swift A-frames at 2200fps. VX3 1.5-5 for optics. Second rifle making the trip is a Zastava LK M70 LH in 375. It has a Nikon Monarch 1.75-6 that I purchased from a member here. Gunsmith just finished up bedding the action,trigger work and smoothing things up. It now is smooth and reliable.
IMG_20230301_142942041.jpg

For a DG hunt with a Ruger No 1, is it advisable to practice speed reloading? I saw a TV hunting show where a guy was hunting American bison and he had a couple of rounds between his fingers on his right hand. He could pull the trigger, work the action and reload amazingly fast.

I've also seen elastic sleeves that go over the barrel and stock, just in front of the action that hold 2 more cartridges. I couldn't find a picture of it on a Ruger No 1, but it looks something like this...
1677931253943.png

Do yourself a favor and do dry fire drills with snap-caps to practice reloads. Muscle memory is real.

I've also seen elastic sleeves that go over the barrel and stock, just in front of the action that hold 2 more cartridges. I couldn't find a picture of it on a Ruger No 1, but it looks something like this...
View attachment 520836
Do yourself a favor and do dry fire drills with snap-caps to practice reloads. Muscle memory is real.
I have used a 2” piece of bicycle inner tube under the scope & put a round on each side of the bbl. Of a #1 .375 H&H Mag. It holds them firmly enough to withstand the recoil of a .375 H&H Mag. Be sure to zero with ctgs in place.

I have used the elastic sleeves that @BeeMaa is referencing on several of my Ruger No 1
IMG_0097_1.jpg

In my experience, they work well; however, I have never had to do a quick follow-up shot on a DG hunt. The one I use is from a USA company called Beartooth Products out of Montana and they are made in the USA (if that matters to you).

Getting ready for my upcoming Cape Buffalo/ Kudu hunt with Ken Moody. Using 400 gr Swift A-frames at 2200fps. VX3 1.5-5 for optics. Second rifle making the trip is a Zastava LK M70 LH in 375. It has a Nikon Monarch 1.75-6 that I purchased from a member here. Gunsmith just finished up bedding the action,trigger work and smoothing things up. It now is smooth and reliable.View attachment 520481
Just for giggles, have you also zeroed the iron sights at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg