Powder & Primer Deals Today

Not directly related to the question above but in a pinch you can use small rifle primers in a small pistol case. All of the above rules apply of course, you will need to rework the load. The small pistol and small rifle primers are the same dimension, the small rifle primer has a harder cup so if you are using a pistol that has a light hammer spring you might have issues. You can not go the other way though. Small pistol primers have to thin of a cup to stand up to the pressures of a rifle cartridge. Large rifle and large pistol primers are dimensionally different so that won't work either, but small rifle in small pistol will work in an emergency.

...The small pistol and small rifle primers are the same dimension, the small rifle primer has a harder cup so if you are using a pistol that has a light hammer spring you might have issues. ...
Yep, small rifle primers won't ignite in my competition guns (Infinity 2022 .40 S&W). There seem to be plenty of small pistol primers available though.

I believe you can use magnum primers in place of large rifle primers but not the other way round for magnum calibres ofcourse.

Not directly related to the question above but in a pinch you can use small rifle primers in a small pistol case. All of the above rules apply of course, you will need to rework the load. The small pistol and small rifle primers are the same dimension, the small rifle primer has a harder cup so if you are using a pistol that has a light hammer spring you might have issues. You can not go the other way though. Small pistol primers have to thin of a cup to stand up to the pressures of a rifle cartridge. Large rifle and large pistol primers are dimensionally different so that won't work either, but small rifle in small pistol will work in an emergency.
@Backyardsniper
I know some people use small pistol regular and magnum primers in their 22 Hornet and get better accuracy. Then again it is a lower pressure cartridge. I would NOT use them in a 222 or bigger case. That would be asking for TROUBLE.
Bob

Probably a silly question, but is it interchangeable to use "regular" large rifle and magnum large rifle in non-magnum cartridges? Let's say a 25-06 or 308 as examples.

I know it changes your load development some that you can't freely interchange them for the same result.
I always use CCI #34 Nato spec primers (considered to be magnum)
for any 7.62x51/ 308W reloads. I used to shoot a FAL in the 3-Gun games. FALs can slamfire if the operator foolishly drops the bolt on a live round loaded
with a soft primer (amhik).

Swift A-Frames in 375 are in stock directly from Swift.

https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/bullets

1672777404652.png

For those local to DFW...

Alpine Shooting Sports in Ft. Worth had a surprising amount and variety of powder available this past weekend.

The IMR 4064 is gone.. I bought every pound they had on hand lol (6lbs).. but they had several options in both 1lb and 8lb jugs (probably 20 different powders available).. and they had a reasonable supply of primers as well (selling in increments of 100)..

Prices weren't bad at all by today's standard... I paid $39 per lb for the IMR 4064.. 2 years ago, the last time I saw it on the shelf, I paid $34.99...

unrelated.. but.. they also had a huge amount of shotgun ammo available at reasonable prices.. a flat of fiocchi 20 or 12 ga in 7.5 or 8 shot, was $84.99 ... a flat of federal was $89.99.. (better pricing than Ive been able to get from either cabelas or academy lately, and much more available to purchase)..

Alpine Shooting Sports in Ft. Worth had a surprising amount and variety of powder available this past weekend.

The IMR 4064 is gone.. I bought every pound they had on hand lol (6lbs).. but they had several options in both 1lb and 8lb jugs (probably 20 different powders available).. and they had a reasonable supply of primers as well (selling in increments of 100)..

Prices weren't bad at all by today's standard... I paid $39 per lb for the IMR 4064.. 2 years ago, the last time I saw it on the shelf, I paid $34.99...

unrelated.. but.. they also had a huge amount of shotgun ammo available at reasonable prices.. a flat of fiocchi 20 or 12 ga in 7.5 or 8 shot, was $84.99 ... a flat of federal was $89.99.. (better pricing than Ive been able to get from either cabelas or academy lately, and much more available to purchase)..
How many boxes are in a "flat"? Anyway, around here trying to find a box of 12ga #6s is a snipe hunt. If you find ONE it's $16/box! Twice the price of now almost three years ago. I've never seen shotgun shell prices staying this high after all the previous "shortages"? In fact, I don't remember a shortage of them in the past when rifle, pistol ammo and components were MIA? Just different this time around I guess.

Flat = 10 boxes

Our youngest shoots competitive shotgun so we’re constantly buying shells (sitting on 10 flats out in the garage now)… I’ll keep an eye out for #6 12ga… if I see some I’ll grab it and let you know!

never been there before but now I have to go thanks for the heads up

I’d never been there before this past weekend either. It’s about a 1 hour drive from where I am in the metroplex, but we had a sporting clays shoot there so we made the drive..

They’re really more of a range facility than a gun shop… but the shop they have is decent and well stocked… you can tell they cater to competitive shooters (pistol, rifle, and shotgun).. so not a lot of hunting stuff…but still a decent selection nonetheless…

They’re really more of a range facility than a gun shop… but the shop they have is decent and well stocked… you can tell they cater to competitive shooters (pistol, rifle, and shotgun).. so not a lot of hunting stuff…but still a decent selection nonetheless…
I've been there a few times and agree with this entirely. Decent selection, reasonably stocked and priced. Didn't seem to jack up the prices like some other ranges tend to do.

*edit* - and a fun course to shoot sporting clays.

I’d never been there before this past weekend either. It’s about a 1 hour drive from where I am in the metroplex, but we had a sporting clays shoot there so we made the drive..

yea I am about 2 hours from anything in FW. I typically frequent Scheels / Cabelas in Allen and all the other local gun stores in that area. Way closer to my neck of the woods

Thanks for sharing, Dave; and good to know! I haven't been out to Alpine in many years (probably at least 15 years); but my parents used to live in the Mid-Cities area, and I would go there periodically with my Dad. I seem to recall they had a pretty good range and gun shop setup, and I know my Dad bought stuff from them pretty regularly over the years. Glad to hear that is still the case.

yea I am about 2 hours from anything in FW. I typically frequent Scheels / Cabelas in Allen and all the other local gun stores in that area. Way closer to my neck of the woods
Same here. McKinney is a bit of a haul to the FTW side of town; and those toll charges have gotten insane. :)

Next time you hit the Cabelas give me a holler... I can literally walk there in about 15 minutes (there is a running trail that is adjacent to my subdivision, that also runs right past the back of the Rudys and the Cabelas.. when the weather is nice I make that walk pretty frequently just to get out and get some fresh air..).. Its less than a 5 minute drive.. and only takes that long because of all of the traffic lights on Stacy Rd. between here and there..

A cup of coffee, or a brisket sammich at Rudy's is on me.. :)

Next time you hit the Cabelas give me a holler... I can literally walk there in about 15 minutes (there is a running trail that is adjacent to my subdivision, that also runs right past the back of the Rudys and the Cabelas.. when the weather is nice I make that walk pretty frequently just to get out and get some fresh air..).. Its less than a 5 minute drive.. and only takes that long because of all of the traffic lights on Stacy Rd. between here and there..

A cup of coffee, or a brisket sammich at Rudy's is on me.. :)
sounds like a plan. I will be down in the city next friday to get my rifles on the 4457. Rudys is fine by me. Havent had brisket in a minute

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!