Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I cannot find the first bit of powder to reload my 470 NE. Does anyone know where any INSTOCK H4831 or Alliant 19 is available please?

I cannot find the first bit of powder to reload my 470 NE. Does anyone know where any INSTOCK H4831 or Alliant 19 is available please?
I’m not aware of anyone who has either of those powders in stock right now. Or much of ANY powder in stock now.
If I may ask a couple questions though, do you already have loads developed for those 2 powders or are you just beginning development of loads that will regulate properly in your rifle?
If you already have loads worked up with those powders and just need 1 pound to load some ammo I may be able to help you out with a “Christmas gift” to get you by, as I have some RL-19 on hand. Not a lot but enough that I could let you have a pound. If you are just starting out with load development, you are probably going to need more than just a pound, right? ;) You will be a lot better off getting 5 or 8 pounds (or more!) so you have enough of the same lot batch of powder to keep you shooting for a while.

You guys are the very best. Just ordered 5 pounds of IMR 4955 trusting I can make that work when the time comes. I am sure when I go to my reloading book there will be no load for this in 470 NE. What should I use for the closet? Thanks!

You guys are the very best. Just ordered 5 pounds of IMR 4955 trusting I can make that work when the time comes. I am sure when I go to my reloading book there will be no load for this in 470 NE. What should I use for the closet? Thanks!

I would call the company and ask, they can get you an appropriate starting point. H4831 is very close, but I would still call.

There seems to be several sources for IMR 4451 (an Enduron powder) and it is one that Hodgdon does list for the 470NE on their reloading data site.

Last edited:
Some more data. I can look up in any shot you want by ASQURE send you some more data.
The new ENDURON IMR powders are temperature insensitive. They are eqivalant of some Hodgdon powders which are becoming av available.

20201213_001331.jpg

Another powder equivalent to h4831is IMR 4955

Product Information​

This new Enduron® Extruded powder is a top performer with such great cartridges as the 270 Winchester, 25-06 Remington 280 Remington and 300 Winchester Magnum and many many more. It falls directly between IMR 4451 and IMR 7977 in burn speed, providing top performance for all cartridges used for big game. As with all Enduron® powders, it is temperature insensitive, clean burning, minimizes copper fouling and is totally safe for the environment. Adding this propellant to the Enduron® line filled in an important place in the chart. IMR 4955, plus the original three, provides top loading for cartridges from 223 Remington to the massive 500 Nitro Express Magnum.
Comparable to Hodgdon H4831. Consult Hodgdon loading manual for appropriate loading data.

Hodgdon data for woodleigh bullets. Did not list imr4955.

Screenshot_20201213-100946_Chrome.jpg

For what it is worth I did a QuickLoad simulation for you using a 500 Gr Hornady DGX pushed by 99.7 Gr. of IMR 4955. Pressure is 39,060 psi vs a P-max of 39,160. Velocity is 2077 FPS with 4,787 ft. lbs. of energy. No idea how well it shoots. Use at your own risk, but it should be a place to start. BTW I assumed a barrel length of 24 ".

Thanks Shootist43!!! What are your thoughts being so close to maximum pressure?

Ya. I'm having the same problem finding H4831 (lucky I have a few pounds in reserve). Same with Retumbo. You just can't find it. I'm also looking for .270 Win brass. Its NOT available.

Rare Breed, personally I don't have any concerns about being close to max pressure. QuickLoad uses "set" internal capacities for every cartridge / case / caliber. But their numbers are generally below actual for a fired but unresized case. Apart from that many of today's "Max Loads" were "yesterday's" joke. Take a look at some old reloading manuals and you'll see what I'm talking about. On top of that there is a "safety factor" before getting to the "Proof Loads" established for each caliber respectively.

Having said all that, your firearm must be in perfect condition. I'm not advocating that reloaders go beyond the various manufacturers recommended loads, any decision to do so is your own.

Thanks so much! Respect your thoughts and thanks for working up the load for me!!!

I am super low on all my powders.

I haven't seen any Varget since before the 'rona.

can't find any
Win748
CFE223
2000MR
Big Game
IMR4831
RL7
RL15
RL17
H4350

Even Vihtavouri and Norma powders are all gone.

I’m occasionally able to find a pound or two of H110 or IMR4064.. those are my two primary powders... I can cover 80% of what I load with those...

It’s primers that I still can’t find anywhere..

I might have a pound of IMR4831 on the bench that I could let go...if I do I’ll let you know...

I'm not hurting for IMR4831, I just don't want to run out. I'm under a pound, but the only thing I use it for is ELD-X 143 for my 6.5x55, and I've got about 100 of those sitting in ammo boxes, waiting to be fired.

Ya. I'm having the same problem finding H4831 (lucky I have a few pounds in reserve). Same with Retumbo. You just can't find it. I'm also looking for .270 Win brass. Its NOT available.
I have a bunch of once fired .270 brass if it’s any use to you mostly federal and a couple boxes of Hornady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.