Potentially new dangerous game cartridges coming to market?

my LH MRC 404J was only about 2500. but it only took me about 10 years to find it.
I feel your pain. How do you like your MRC? I was eyeing them up before they shut down.

I've been looking for years, but not seriously. I almost bit the bullet on a Ruger #1 in .458WM a month or two ago, but waffled too long. I figured that I could get my money back out of that if I didn't like it. There were a few .416RM's on Gunbroker recently too for semi-reasonable prices.

My main roadblocks are that this will just be a toy for me, even the .375's are toys for me at this point but I can see hunting with them in the future. I don't see myself ever truly having a use for anything bigger, so I don't want to buy something unless I know I can get most of my money back out of it. I bought the two .375's new for less than the price of one new one now with the intention of rebarreling one to .458WM in the future. I still may, but I definitely wouldn't be able to get my money back out of a project like that.

The second roadblock is recoil. I don't have any problems shooting the .375's, but I've never shot anything bigger (unless you count some truly vicious 12 ga. turkey loads), so I don't know where my recoil tolerance ends. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money into a big bore and find out I can't shoot it worth a damn.

The last one is just priorities. I finished my .300WM custom recently which will be my plains game rifle when I finally get to Africa. Now I'm starting on a custom .223 bolt gun which will mainly serve as a practice gun/range toy to practice shooting off sticks, etc. Once that's done and my wallet recovers I'll be a bit more serious about finding a big bore to play with.

@WI-2021 The second roadblock is recoil. I don't have any problems shooting the .375's, but I've never shot anything bigger (unless you count some truly vicious 12 ga. turkey loads), so I don't know where my recoil tolerance ends. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money into a big bore and find out I can't shoot it worth a damn.

I am a man of modeat means. I bought a 458 Lott just to see what the recoil felt like. Watched the videos, read the reports, and figured it couldn't be that bad...could it? It wasn't. Maybe try to find someone in your area who has something larger than what you have and test fire. Do some reading how to properly hold and fire a rifle with substantial recoil. Met a guy with a 416 Rigby, he let me shoot it. No coaching, nothing. Holy hell, did it twist my body and hurt me. I have a few larger rifles in the line up now. Hold them properly, work your way up in caliber. You will be ok I'd say or tap out at some point when you reach your limit.

@WI-2021 The second roadblock is recoil. I don't have any problems shooting the .375's, but I've never shot anything bigger (unless you count some truly vicious 12 ga. turkey loads), so I don't know where my recoil tolerance ends. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money into a big bore and find out I can't shoot it worth a damn.

I am a man of modeat means. I bought a 458 Lott just to see what the recoil felt like. Watched the videos, read the reports, and figured it couldn't be that bad...could it? It wasn't. Maybe try to find someone in your area who has something larger than what you have and test fire. Do some reading how to properly hold and fire a rifle with substantial recoil. Met a guy with a 416 Rigby, he let me shoot it. No coaching, nothing. Holy hell, did it twist my body and hurt me. I have a few larger rifles in the line up now. Hold them properly, work your way up in caliber. You will be ok I'd say or tap out at some point when you reach your limit.
Recoil and how it effects you is a direct reflection of a few things. One of the most important is rifle fit. Shooting a friends 416RIGBY, may not fit you like your 458LOTT. A few other factors are technique and what load you are shooting.

BTW - The most vicious recoil I've ever felt is from my SBE3 shooting 3.5" turkey loads. I'm glad that shotgun fits me properly.

I feel your pain. How do you like your MRC? I was eyeing them up before they shut down.

I've been looking for years, but not seriously. I almost bit the bullet on a Ruger #1 in .458WM a month or two ago, but waffled too long. I figured that I could get my money back out of that if I didn't like it. There were a few .416RM's on Gunbroker recently too for semi-reasonable prices.

My main roadblocks are that this will just be a toy for me, even the .375's are toys for me at this point but I can see hunting with them in the future. I don't see myself ever truly having a use for anything bigger, so I don't want to buy something unless I know I can get most of my money back out of it. I bought the two .375's new for less than the price of one new one now with the intention of rebarreling one to .458WM in the future. I still may, but I definitely wouldn't be able to get my money back out of a project like that.

The second roadblock is recoil. I don't have any problems shooting the .375's, but I've never shot anything bigger (unless you count some truly vicious 12 ga. turkey loads), so I don't know where my recoil tolerance ends. I'd hate to throw a bunch of money into a big bore and find out I can't shoot it worth a damn.

The last one is just priorities. I finished my .300WM custom recently which will be my plains game rifle when I finally get to Africa. Now I'm starting on a custom .223 bolt gun which will mainly serve as a practice gun/range toy to practice shooting off sticks, etc. Once that's done and my wallet recovers I'll be a bit more serious about finding a big bore to play with.
I expect I'll like it a lot more when I put a stock on it that actually fits me - my summer LOP is 16", winter is 15.5". It has a standard LOP of 13.75

All that aside, I find the bolt pull smooth and the trigger crisp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross