Post your top five biggest African animals!

32” Warebuck from North West area fenced. Snap shot as it jumped from bed at 50 yds.
37.5 “ Livingston eland. Niassa running at 100yds.
4&3/8” Suni. Niassa. Stalking through forest. 40 yds off sticks.
Cape Bushbuck 15.75 free range Natal. Cross canyon 150 yds off tree branch.
16..25” Springbok. Namibia free range. 265 yds of sticks. My best shot off sticks thankfully. Small target.
Honorable mention!
41.25 by 39.5 with 8.5” bases. Gemsbok bull.
I can’t believe PH could let this happen! In Namibia they have a buffer zone of 20 feet or so between free range barbed wire and 10 strand low game proof fence -5 ft tall. This bull was trying to get into fenced area from free range. Anything in between fence is free. PH just pulled over- I shot from truck. 265 yds. When we pulled up to dead animal-PH that’s a 40” gemsbok!! He never looked at animal- just shoot it!!! I took pic between fences. Could have been trophy of a lifetime.

View attachment 524795View attachment 524797View attachment 524798View attachment 524800View attachment 524809View attachment 524810View attachment 524811
Helluva Suni

My best and favorite five .......

My first buffalo (almost 43") taken while wading around the Caprivi with Driese Alberts and Jamy Traut. One shot and dropped in his tracks. Always use enough gun! - 300 gr TSX from a .375 is just about perfect. :cool:

42 Dugga Boy - Caprivi

Two great Eland. The Cape Eland with Jamy on the same safari, and the Livingstone with Mashambanzou in Mozambique.

38 Eland - Eden Namibia

Livingstone Eland - Mozambique

The 45"+ sable that I will never better with our own @spike.t Mike Taylor, @PeteG Peter Goneos, and Andrew Baldry at Takeri in Zambia. And the gold medal bull blue duiker taken with the same friends on the same hunt representing the culmination of a hunt for a mature bull with a rifle over 20+ days on three previous safaris in two different countries.

View attachment 524653
View attachment 524654

And a non African honorable mention. An ancient SCI gold medal Beceite Ibex from Spain, and my longest shot at a game animal.

View attachment 524660
Love that Ibex!

I am smart enough to know that these five animals are exceedingly modest, compared to what many of you have accomplished. I do not have numbers, and do not care, though the numbers would likely reveal exactly what I said: modest.

I am grateful enough, and introspective enough, to know that it took me over 50 years to make to Africa for the first time, and I am beyond-words thrilled with every single one of these animals, in addition to the others I have been blessed to hunt and take.

P1010273.jpg

P1010974.jpg

P1010891.JPG

P1010317.jpg

P1010347.jpg

I am smart enough to know that these five animals are exceedingly modest, compared to what many of you have accomplished. I do not have numbers, and do not care, though the numbers would likely reveal exactly what I said: modest.

I am grateful enough, and introspective enough, to know that it took me over 50 years to make to Africa for the first time, and I am beyond-words thrilled with every single one of these animals, in addition to the others I have been blessed to hunt and take.

View attachment 586232
View attachment 586233
View attachment 586234
View attachment 586235
View attachment 586236
Had no idea you used a 99 on your Oryx. What a wonderful rifle - and a fairly early one with the elegant Schnabel. What loading?

Had no idea you used a 99 on your Oryx. What a wonderful rifle - and a fairly early one with the elegant Schnabel. What loading?

It's a 1947 EG in .300 Savage. I used it on my gemsbok, impala, a warthog, and my kudu. Handloads using 180 grain Accubonds. The shot on the gemsbok was 170 yards. It is one of my favorite rifles.

It's a 1947 EG in .300 Savage. I used it on my gemsbok, impala, a warthog, and my kudu. Handloads using 180 grain Accubonds. The shot on the gemsbok was 170 yards. It is one of my favorite rifles.
The original .308 before there was a .308. I probably have owned eight or ten over the years. Only one currently is also a .300 EG like yours. Just a great cartridge married to an even more elegant design.

Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to hear this was a good experience; I just put my deposit down with Somerby for 2026!
I just signed on yesterday for my 3rd trip with Somerby also at the Harrisburg outdoor show

Some amazing animals Gentlemen. Greenchile could post top 5 animals and all from his last hunt. Especially his Zim Eland with LDE genes

Mine are not high scoring I tend to be drawn to odd, or past prime animals. My buff was not the most mature in his group. But when they rose from their beds. He gave me the best angle and shot opportunity
IMG_7762.jpeg
20220503_211943.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_5750.jpeg
IMG_0251.jpeg
IMG_0224.jpeg

Weight wise, this Zimbabwe Buffalo is probably my biggest.
GKHtUOch.jpg

Next would probably be this Eland from the Eastern Cape.
s2SzjGZh.jpg

I think this was my biggest Kudu from the Limpopo
cJPFVMsh.jpg

Then my best Sable, from Mozqmbique
U8YlcJLh.jpg

And my only other Big 5 animal is this Mozambique Leopard with some Canuck that I found over there,
jhiYTqoh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some amazing animals Gentlemen. Greenchile could post top 5 animals and all from his last hunt. Especially his Zim Eland with LDE genes

Mine are not high scoring I tend to be drawn to odd, or past prime animals. My buff was not the most mature in his group. But when they rose from their beds. He gave me the best angle and shot opportunity View attachment 586290View attachment 586291View attachment 586292View attachment 586293View attachment 586294View attachment 586304
That Gemsbok and Impala....I couldn't have passed those up either. I love the 'different' look.

View attachment 586232
View attachment 586233
View attachment 586234
View attachment 586235
View attachment 586236

View attachment 586232
View attachment 586233
View attachment 586234
View attachment 586235
View attachment 586236
that’s a beaut of a Kudu! Congrats!

Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to hear this was a good experience; I just put my deposit down with Somerby for 2026!
That's when we will be back Hippos and Crocks on the menu for the next one. They will treat you very well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg