Possibly ruined Kudu cape?

Washingtonmuley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My crate arrived from South Africa so I went to my taxidermist to have him open and go over it with me. I have 7 animals dipped and packed with 5 hides. My kudu arrived with some flesh still attached to the hide and mold on it. Both of my impala skulls still had some flesh and dead bugs all over it. I can deal with the impala but not with the lack of care of my #1 animal my kudu. What should I request from South African taxidermist for his poor work? I am expecting nothing but hoping for something. I will not give taxidermist's name until he is given time to make this right.
Thanks,
Tim

received_329395191122071.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say you’re owed a replacement cape with shipping on him or a full refund.

Sorry for your troubles. Good luck with whatever comes! I agree a replacement cape at a minimum!

Sorry this happens to you sir! Hope things work out for the best!

What will a replacement do for you? It’s not YOUR kudu then? If it’s just a small spot maybe a taxidermist can repair it?
Going by the pic it looks like there’s a fair bit of flesh still there though in a lot of places?

Absolutely astounding that product was even sent.
Quality control ZERO.
(That includes the Outfitter)

Last edited:
Brickburn,
Those are my thoughts as well. I have dried many hides on my own and they all have been better than that and I am not a professional .

.....and the guy who did it probably wanted a tip to boot....

Sad to see.

Quite often the issues arise in the skinning shed(field preparation). The skinning and the initial treatment of the hide at the hunting location is the first and most important part of the trophy preparation process. If it gets screwed up there it could ruin the trophies before they even arrive at the taxidermy.

It is however shocking to see that it went through all the paid for processes and end up with the hunter in that condition.

I sincerely hope it can be recovered, kudu if not properly done to start with are prone to hair slip....

Criminal! Send out a cape like that! I'm really getting fed up with these guys.

Absolutely piss poor work.. that guy should be strung up for sending out such a skin AND other skull mounts in poor condition!
Sorry for your bad luck here...

As a taxidermist I can agree that it was taken care of poorly, but the fleshing and the turning of ears and lips are done at the outfitters!! This looks like the outfitter didn't over see the work his skinners and fleshers were doing. Dip and pack is just that, not fleshing capes! I think you should contact your outfitter.

As a taxidermist I can agree that it was taken care of poorly, but the fleshing and the turning of ears and lips are done at the outfitters!! This looks like the outfitter didn't over see the work his skinners and fleshers were doing. Dip and pack is just that, not fleshing capes! I think you should contact your outfitter.

And I got a g that says that they wanted tips an the man with the screwed pelts was smiling when he handed over his hard earned money for a job that was supposed to be well done.

For the prices that the dip and pack companies are charging there should be a inspection of the capes or hides to make sure that this doesn't happen.

So are you willing to put out the names of the dip and pack company along with the outfitter?

I feel it is the taxidermist's job to make sure the hides are dried properly as I paid him for more than inspecting and crating them. At this time I will not disclose who I used as I want to give him a chance to respond.

This was field prep - the salting and the drying. If you have a contract with a taxidermist that somehow guarantees the quality of the shipment, then he should have replaced this cape. I would be a little surprised that he provided such a guarantee. I think that I would even be more upset with my PH/outfitter.

If the capes are not handled properly at the outfitters no amount of dipping or chemical treatment is going to undue the damage already done. The dip& pack are not going to do the Skinner's job. Your invoice should show that you paid for the required chemical treatment a Vet certificate and crating`. I'm not saying that capes aren't ruined at D&P but at least leaving meat on the cape is not their fault, the bug problem is and maybe other things. The D&P have no control over how the shippers store your hard earned trophies, like leaving them in the weather for a few days to draw dampness. Every year I have people bring me capes in very poor condition and some how think I have a magic wand to fix their poor handling.

If the capes are not handled properly at the outfitters no amount of dipping or chemical treatment is going to undue the damage already done. The dip& pack are not going to do the Skinner's job. Your invoice should show that you paid for the required chemical treatment a Vet certificate and crating`. I'm not saying that capes aren't ruined at D&P but at least leaving meat on the cape is not their fault, the bug problem is and maybe other things. The D&P have no control over how the shippers store your hard earned trophies, like leaving them in the weather for a few days to draw dampness. Every year I have people bring me capes in very poor condition and some how think I have a magic wand to fix their poor handling.

I think you mentioned you’re a taxidermist so you know better than me if so. But is there not some level of responsibility on the taxi doing the D&P work to notify the outfitter and client that he has questionable material to work with before even starting the work?

Myself I notify the client, but it's his responsibility to sort it out with the outfitter. I've also had clients bring in capes that were in extremely poor condition, starting to slip, cut to short and still insist I do my best and send it to the tanners. I think some of the D&P places aren't going to bring up issues with the outfitter as they rely's on them to bring more business,they'll just process what was brought, sometimes their caught in the middle, maybe not right but I suspect they would rather piss off a client than a outfitter. I know butchers here that when when somebody brings dirty or poorly handled meat that smells, they take the position that their not there to babysit and the end product will be terrible but that's what they were brought . The very best D&P that I have received were done by places that only do dip and pack and specialize in only that, they usually have fast turn around so there less time for bugs and poor storage. The D&P is not there to grade capes and make sure the outfitter did his job, hell work with what he gets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg