AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Benefactor, Freemasons, Shrine, Eagle Scout,
Hunted
US
Had an extra reloading press so I figured WTH, figure out a portable press and this is what I came up with. It looks like it would wobble but does not. I made the legs and turned them in lathe and measured them with very long caliper and they are all within about .005" IIRC.

Cap screws hold them in place. The heads are exposed on the understand and sink into the carpet base and prevents the top side from moving. It is tall so I can do my loading standing up. I gave up on sitting down to reload many years ago. A Doc told me the longer you stand when you are young the longer you can stand when you are older and this is based on sound mechanical principle "When you legs go your rearend is not far behind." So I have been standing to load for last 40 years.

The vise is secured by bolts in tapped holes ground of smooth on bottom.

4mFaIECh.jpg

Note the indents in carpet the bolt heads make as indicated in fronts of the fired cases.

Note the base plate if laying on sections of rubber back commercial carpet and I can learn on it and it doesn't move on that steel table. Note I put carry handles on it so it is easier to move and placed them so the load would balance when I picked it up and if another helped carry it.

ttSecdvh.jpg
AIywoBKh.jpg

The top plate is drilled and tapped 7/8X14 so I can screw in extra dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JLF
Hummer, none of the links worked for me!

Me either when I clicked a link it took me to some strange site saying zoink and says there are no pictures there.

Dido

Let me try something else. It has started to give problems in the last month.

I may have to go take more pics.

Last edited:
Please try upload pics this sound interesting.

OK lets try this.

Port Reload Assy.JPG

Attachments

• Port Reload Assy.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
Geez! That looks like it weighs as much as I do!:LOL::eek:

Certainly going to be weighty, but if it’s works.
I had always wanted something to be able to reload on the range for testing And a I think an arbor press does that too but I’ve never really needed to load in the field but this would be great if you have the ability to transport it
Also it’s would work for someone who can’t have a designated bench or workspace for a permanent bench.

There was supposed to be two pics but if the top of the pic black bar is tapped it will open up full screen so you guys can see the details of how the bolts attach to the columns. Basically it is set up for loading 8X60 ammo at my friend's house when I took it up about 18 months ago.

I estimate it weighs about 50 lbs. I also have four arbor presses and one is about 150 lbs, one is about 40 lbs and the others are maybe ten and 15 lbs.

My tooling is set up that I need a vise to hold powder measure, case trimmer etc. so having everything bolted to same plate works.

WHen I sent to national championships I had a portable bench built and it came in handy but was bulky and took a few minutes to assemble.

I like that set up.
Would be perfect for what you described.
Having all the stuff to go with it...gonna need a bigger truck. ;)

to be honest I was surprised it is as sturdy as it is and I think it is because the columns are basically the same length and about 3/4" stainless steel. It helped that I have a lathe and a mill to make the columns and the top plate. Already had the 7/8X14 tap.

Wow, nice set up, but when is the last time you've picked it up and taken it to the range? I am sure it is stable and robust but to me it looks better suited for something more permanent. I have a similar set up in me garage for case prep. I can't tell if it is 3/8" or 1/2" PL but 3/8" weights 15.31# per sq. ft. & 1/2" is 20.4# per sq. ft.

I hauled it to Virginia to load my friends ammo back in 2018. Wasn't a pain as I did not have all my shooting gear with me haha.

I fixed the image issue.

Put an axel under that bad boy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg