Pongola Game Reserve - South Africa

JJRMT

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone hunted the Pongola Game Reserve in SA? I’m considering a Buffalo hunt there, but need some feedback! Definitely don’t want the high fence experience and this seems as close to free range as possible in SA. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!!

There was a thread very recently. Do a search, I’m sure it will pop up.

There was a thread very recently. Do a search, I’m sure it will pop up.
I saw that, but looking for others opinions on the feel of the place. Being that it caters to sightseeing tourists etc., I just want to know what it’s like! I’ve done the high fence in Limpopo and that’s not what I want.

Reactions: WAB
I saw that, but looking for others opinions on the feel of the place. Being that it caters to sightseeing tourists etc., I just want to know what it’s like! I’ve done the high fence in Limpopo and that’s not what I want.

Not sure what "high fence experience" means. I've been let loose in a property small enough I could shoot across it. That will never happen again.
Pongola is not that kind of place.

Leeukop/PGR caters to game drives and hunting.
The nice part about that is that there is ZERO shooting from vehicles. ZERO. You must be 200 Meters from vehicles before you can shoot, it's the KZN law, and they follow it. On top of that, if the game runs from vehicles the game drives are worthless. Not in their interest.
So, the "tame" animals are tame right up until you drag your butt from the vehicle. Then see what happens when they see a two legged predator.

It is not the Zambezi Delta. There are fences.
It is not a small property, it is also not the Niassa Reserve.

There may be some properties next to Kruger that may be an option.

If you are truly fence shy, head to Moz or Tanzania.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I hunted plains game there a number of years ago. Had a great experience. Like Brickburn said, this place has fences but is you won't really notice. It is a very large property. There were some folks in camp that hunted buffalo. They both hunted hard for five days and got mature bulls.

South Africa has fences. Some places are huge and some are not. If you do not want any fences - take a look in other countries but also be prepared for a price premium. A lot of those places are more remote and require more logistics.

I hunted there, very large property, about 22.000 hectares if I remember well.

Great experience, you will see buff, elephants, rhino, crocodiles, hippo... and a lot of plainsgame.

I even saw leopard tracks !

I hunted there, very large property, about 22.000 hectares if I remember well.

Great experience, you will see buff, elephants, rhino, crocodiles, hippo... and a lot of plainsgame.

I even saw leopard tracks !
That's a good reminder - we could hear a leopard sawing each night while in camp. It certainly added to the campfire experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.