Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
IF YOU SUPPORT HUNTING LEOPARD WITH HOUNDS AS A METHOD ANSWER YES.
It's my failure in question design, when I made the question personal and not about the method of hunting.

Given the fact that the Anti's are pressuring consultants and government game departments on the subject of Hounds and Leopard, I wanted to know what HUNTERS thought on the subject.

You know, the people who foot the bill for conservation in Africa.

Please vote and get everyone else you know to help us get a result to pass along to the various interested bodies.

For my education, for those of you who vote NO can you send me a PM with the reason to help me present a balanced view of the reasons. Thanks.

Last edited:
Actually really thought about it and have been searching into it a little more since ActionBob went on his hunt.

I'm so desperate to get a leopard at this point I'd do it over hounds with a spoon if I had to.

Actually really thought about it and have been searching into it a little more since ActionBob went on his hunt.
Holler at Simon, he's got the best hounds man out there.

I had the opportunity to actually be on a leopard hunt with hounds last summer. Was one of the most memorable experiences while I was there. It's hands on looking for tracks, following the Houndsman and dogs, and wet your pants exciting when you hear that leopard roar in a tree. Unlike any other hunt out there, and probably your best bet to get an opportunity at a leopard. For me personally, I can't sit still long enough to ever be able to hunt out of a blind, and from some of the unlucky stories I've heard about 2+ trips over with sitting for endless hour and days, not for my style. I've also had the opportunity to hunt mountain lion and bobcats behind great hounds, and let me tell you, if you enjoy watching working dogs do what they are bred for, for me, it's as addicting to hunt with those hounds as it is to hunt in Africa. If you have the funds to hunt leopard, I wouldn't think twice about not doing it without hounds. Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

@EZRider , would you be against other hunters using hounds?

No, I'd be for everyone to use hounds to hunt the leopard. Every country that bans it is doing a disservice. Stop the poisoning of the leopards and let the houndsmen come help catch these leopards and increase the economic result as well for those safari outfits and land owners.

I just got a PM and found the weakness in my question design.
As Simon noted, someone can support hunting with hounds and not do it themselves. Which is the case here.
Oh well, another lesson learned.

Not at all. I believe it to be as valid a hunting method as any other.
I, personally, would not hunt leopard at all as I only hunt what I wish to eat which excludes all predators.
This is my own, admittedly narrow, hunting ethic and does not cause me to judge any other hunter as long as his hunt is legal and ethical within the broader hunting community.
I mistook the purpose of this poll and am, in spirit, changing my vote to: If I wished to hunt leopard I would consider hunting such with hounds.

I mistook the purpose of this poll and am, in spirit, changing my vote to: If I wished to hunt leopard I would consider hunting such with hounds.

I just changed the settings so anyone can change their vote.

I would hunt leopard with dog, hell yes!

What I am looking for is as much input to take to the government. I truly believe if we give a hand, they will want the arm as well.

@EZRider , thanks for your honest reply.

I voted "NO".
Before getting to final conclusion, following questions should be asked.

When hunting with dogs, does the driven Leopard have better chance of getting wounded, as opposed to type of hunting when Leopard is shot on bait?

If chances of wounding leopard are higher when hunted by dogs, what are additional risks involved for hunter, trackers, PH, and others in hunting party? (Leopard is DG, so its not hard to guess)

Really to get a good answer for this question it would be advisable to get some numbers in which type of hunting the leopard get wounded in most cases? If some official statistics is not available, then proffesional PH's could give their views based on their experience with this.

From my point of view: Experiencing a driven hunts for boar in Europe, there is very high percentage of wounding the game, bringing other sets of questions to this type of hunting, which brings concerns on my side, from this particular angle.

my wife and i hunted bear with dogs and the african lynx with dogs.toughest hunts weve ever been on,not a piece of cake.defiantly fair chase.

I am not very keen on hunting cats....I would never spend high dollars on doing it. If asked I would take out a problem animal...leopard or lion.

But back to the question....I voted yes. Why..? Because I find hunting from a blind rather unsportsmanslike, when trophy hunting is conserned. I think shooting from a blind is just that...shooting, not hunting.. I find using dogs on leopard much more fair chase, in all respects..

Just my 2 cents..

Leopard over hounds is a dream hunt! Would love to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.