Politics

One thing that can be said about the "machine" of Richard J Daley is that he would never had allowed the current events as that Lightfoot thing has.

Remind me. Is Lightfoot the one who shut her city down and then went to her beauty salon?

I believe your former Gov. Long perfected that term.

I moved to Louisiana in the mid 70s when I was in the 11th grade, which is the grade that Louisiana state history is taught in high school. I remember my history teacher telling us this story about Huey P Long:

While campaigning in southern Louisiana, Huey Long, who was from north Louisiana, knew that most voters were Catholic. Huey would begin his speeches with, “When I was a boy, I would get up at six o’clock in the morning on Sunday, hitch up a horse to a buggy and I would take my Catholic grandparents to mass. I would bring them home and then at ten o’clock I would hitch the old horse up again and I would take my Baptist parents to church.” A colleague later said, “I didn’t know you had any Catholic grandparents.” To which Huey replied, “Don’t be a damned fool. We didn’t even have a horse.”​

Then of course there was 4 term governor, Edwin Edwards, who during his 1983 campaign said: "The only way I can lose this race is to be caught in bed with a live boy or dead girl."

1920's.....2020's....the Roaring 20's part 2... who says history can't repeat itself.

There's something to that. In the 1920s there was prohibition which a large population chose to violate. the money involved was sufficient and the social values were such that the police had "other" crimes to deal with. So organized crime groups entered the market place. With a few publicized killings, the politicians intervened and the crime groups reached a fragile agreement on geographic boundaries. so each group was allowed to operate unchallenged within their area. Knowing that survival meant keeping a good relationship with the citizens, the gangsters settled internal disputes with as low key as possible and went so far as to have the pre-runner of welfare for those in the community facing hardship. In the view of a significant portion of the Chicago citizenry Al Capone was well thought of- he kept the peace, supplied the products that the puritanical lawmakers had prohibited, and if you had needs, he could be approached for help- although it generally had strings attached. this was more than could be expected of the city government.

So now we have a situation where drugs have replaced alcohol as the product in demand and several groups are vying for control of the market. There is no dominate gang and so several gangs are attempting to establish boundaries. This process involves staking a claim to a geographic area and defending it. the conflict arises when two or more groups claim the same area. The resulting conflict involves shootings, which generally don't get a lot of press because the media and politicians are focused on other issues.

the difference between the 1920s and now is that in those days there weren't well funded groups that wanted to destroy America. To make matters worse, several politicians are seeking advantage by supporting those anti-America groups. There is no motivation on the part of the officials to cause the gangs to reach a truce in their boundary disputes, so the killings continue while the "demonstrations" continue in their attempt to revise history. There is a large fork in the road in November. The one that the US follows will be determined by that election.

20200727_133444.jpg

Reactions: CJW
WHY NOT LIKE TRUMP

Someone asked "Why do British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief. Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul. And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: 'My God… what… have… I… created? If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

The funny thing is he isn't polished but he calls a spade a spade as far as the British pretty much knows how that worked out for them
WHY NOT LIKE TRUMP

Someone asked "Why do British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief. Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul. And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: 'My God… what… have… I… created? If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

A show of American hands, from those who care about what the Brit's think of Trump.?

Bueller....?.......Bueller...?

The funny thing is he isn't polished but he calls a spade a spade as far as the British pretty much knows how that worked out for them

A sad state of affairs when the United States has two people running for president who have mental issues.

I've been fortunate enough to spend a bit of time in England, Wales, and Ireland over the past few years, and so many locals that I've come in contact with (even just briefly) at shops or pubs, B&Bs and campgrounds, etc. have a very positive opinion of our current president, both young and old. It was actually surprising the number of people that simply heard an American accent and -entirely unprompted - said how much they liked Trump, particularly his unerring knack for riling the mainstream with true but non-PC comments and policies. I do tend to gravitate towards the smaller towns and away from large cities, which likely has much to do with the political outlook of the people I've primarily come in contact with over there (just like it does here in the US). While I’ve yet to meet a person who agrees with every action and policy of any world leader (myself included), what I’ve experienced abroad certainly goes against the popular globalist narrative that Trump is the hated or laughed at the world over.

I had a day and a half in Iceland last year, and there appeared to be a lot of support for Trump there also. A small restaurant we ate at in Keflavik even featured a burger called the "Trump Tower" (and yes, it was good!).

This election is a Win-Win either way. If Trump wins, the economy can continue its climb, the several minorities will continue to be elevated both economically and socially and those countries that are seeking to take advantage of the US will be stifled. If the never-was wins, it will be mere months until the Vice-President assumes power and enacts the several off-the-edge left policies that are guaranteed to plummet the US and the world into chaos. The result will be a straight-forward conflict with very clear lines as to who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. When it's all over there will be unlimited opportunities for those that have survived.

So either way, a Win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross