Politics

1678249328508.png

I guess you and I are watching a different governor named DeSantis. Given an opportunity, I'll gladly vote for the articulate debater and MSM nemesis who won Florida by nearly 20% than the New Yorker who can't carry his own state and barely won Florida by 2.

DeSantis wouldn't carry New York either. Unless one his talking about a piece by piece transfer of New Yorkers to Florida. Yeah, they love him up there.

Trump's primary residence is in Florida. Since 2019.

In the elections since '76, in 12 elections, New Yorkers only voted Republican twice. Both times for Reagan.

DeSantis has been an inspirational governor. Who replaces him, there?

I don't see a good outcome no matter what reasonably probable scenario occurs in 2024. The looting has begun.

I think its very important to look at Afghanistan through the lens of success or failure because this is a conflict that has cost 2.3 TRILLION dollars: https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar...etary-costs-date-us-war-afghanistan-2001-2022

It has resulted in the Taliban not only returning to power but also expanding their control over Afghanistan. The 15% of Afghanistan that was held by the Northern Alliance pre-9/11 is now more or less under Taliban control.

I do not know if anyone makes a deliberately bad choice regarding national security but the way that the withdrawal from Afghanistan happened defies logic. Not only did it take place during the Afghan fighting season but it also resulted in large amounts of equipment getting left behind. The whole withdrawal also appeared rather rushed and chaotic.

This is slightly off topic, but another foreign policy decision that is mind boggling is the decision to invade Iraq. Hussein was a little splinter in America's pinky finger. However if you were an Islamic nutcase who even dreamed of forming an organization like ISIS in Saddam's Iraq you would wind up 6 feet under. Not to mention that Saddam's Iraq represented a pretty serious threat to Iran... So trillions of dollars later you now have an Iraq that's Shiite run and far friendlier to Iran than Saddam ever was and further this country is also now a rather fertile breeding ground for militant Islamists...

While NATO troops were in Afghanistan the Taliban and coalition forces where in a stalmate. With NATO in the country the Taliban could not sieze control of the country. But at the same time coalition forces where unable to defeat the Taliban insurgency. Once NATO forces left Afghanistan it was rather obvious that the balance of power would shift in the Taliban's favor. So them wanting to engage in a power sharing agreement, in good faith, really does not make any sense. Why engage in a power sharing agreement when you are the side that has the upper hand??

The Taliban may not have aims that extend beyond their borders, but they never really did. The problem with them is that they are a bunch of Islamic nutcases who are presiding over a country that was always on the verge of being a failed state. These conditions created and probably will continue to create fertile breeding grounds for all sorts of Islamic terrorist movements.

But getting to the question of the equipment. First of all most of the equipment that NATO left behind will probably turn into fancy desert ornaments. For instance, I doubt the Taliban have the know how to operate the western aircraft that were left behind. However they certainly do not have the technical know how or the requisite supply chains to maintain and service this aircraft. So in a few years they will probably be inoperable. However, I am sure China is interested in getting their hands on a few of these aircraft and examining them and even maybe copying or reverse engineering them. Given that the Taliban are eager to establish relations with other countries, I do not think that it is far fetched to think that at least some of this tech will fall into Chinese or say Iranian hands...

There are already reports that some of this equipment has shown up in Kashmir and in other parts of Pakistan...
I take no issues with your opinion as I have my own. I spent a bit of time in Afghanistan. I was there during 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 20117, 2018, 2019. The gaps were filled with other countries tied to GWOT or what ever our nation asked of me. I personally do not see it as a failure. I hope the Afghans whose lives were made better and those exposed to a different and less extreme ideology can steer the country in the right direction. Global powers has been meddling in their business since the dawn of time. Thanks for your thoughts.

I hope the Afghans whose lives were made better and those exposed to a different and less extreme ideology can steer the country in the right direction.
I think this is a very important point. The United States of America is based on an idea expressed in our Declaration of Independence.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

People from many cultures are attracted to this idea and adopt their version of this idea after being exposed to it by encountering American Culture. (Caveat, stop looking at how the media projects American culture. Look at the people around you. There are amazing people right next to you and there is a bunch of them.)
Right now on the surface Afghanistan looks like a loss. I wonder what the British were saying about the withdrawal from the US in the 1780’s? How has that British/US relationship developed over time? Vietnam, the Vietnam/US relationship was not very good in the late 1970’s. Today, i have several things in my house that say made in Vietnam. So, what will our relationship be with Afghanistan in the next 50 years? Hopefully, it will be as positive as it is with Vietnam.

Ideally we spread the American Idea through trade, negotiations, and tourism. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to punch each other in the nose. Sometimes, those who have traded punches become close friends.

@roverandbrew, thanks for helping to spread that concept of “All men are created equal…”

Split the support translates into split the vote. Continue down that path and see what happens. I liked ole Ross, because he had good ideas. But I refused to support him at any level, knowing the probable outcome of a split. I still run into sheepish acquaintances who, after the fact, admit their mistake in that support. My only response regrettably is, “Told you so”. I remember the outcome of that election like it was yesterday. With Slick Willy and Hi Larry still gracing our presence along with all the long term residual effects of that election outcome. We continue reaping the rewards in so many ways. Yes, TDS is a mysterious affliction.

Via the Babylon Bee. As someone who lives in Alaska and reviles Biden, I don't know whether to laugh, get pissed, or cry. A little of each? Sometimes satire can hit on so many different emotions.

1678296117674.png

The discussion of American equipment left in Afghanistan reminded me of an article I once read about America’s attempt to keep south Vietnam’s advanced american aircraft out of the hands of the north. The uss midway managed to collect 101 aircraft during the evacuation of Saigon and subsequently from Thailand where many south Vietnamese pilots landed their aircraft.

This is a favorite website of mine. The author details the use of wwii equipment post wwii with some still in use today. For this article, the uss midway was commissioned 8 days before the end of wwii.

I think this thread is appropriate to bring to light what's going on in the NE/Mid-Atlantic with the wind-farms and whale/dolphin deaths. As an offshore fisherman, waterman, and just someone who loves the ocean: I am beyond furious. Anyone who is not in the know should take a strong look into this. Before you know it these useless pieces of trash they want to install will be ruining a natural space near you. Whether it's public farm land, ocean, etc. Worst of all, they want to implement a ridiculous November - May speed restriction for vessels to "protect the Right Whale" when they've killed about 10 humpbacks, 1 right whale, and numerous dolphin in the construction of these windmills.

Who thinks Trump won't make it through the primaries? He has hugely more support that Desantis, who among other things is not a good debater, doesn't have a personality, and has a curiously "deep" CV.

What criteria are you basing your opinion of Governor DeSantis exactly?? I could not disagree more with your assessment of him..

DeSantis is an formidable debater, extremely sharp, and is an excellent overall speaker. I encourage you to watch some more video of his past debates, and press conferences. He has particular talent for his ability to systematically dismantle the MSM every time they try him..

He's also a very engaging individual who is very well liked by his constituency. The sane people of this state love him..The only people who don't like him are the ones who he has humiliated by exposing their lies and bullshit narratives.

What criteria are you basing your opinion of Governor DeSantis exactly?? I could not disagree more with your assessment of him..

DeSantis is an formidable debater, extremely sharp, and is an excellent overall speaker. I encourage you to watch some more video of his past debates, and press conferences. He has particular talent for his ability to systematically dismantle the MSM every time they try him..

He's also a very engaging individual who is very well liked by his constituency. The sane people of this state love him..The only people who don't like him are the ones who he has humiliated by exposing their lies and bullshit narratives.

The only complaint I have heard from any conservative Floridian about the possibility of him running for POTUS is that he would no longer be the Governor..

Sounds like a pretty decent option for a candidate to me..

Unless something changes between now and next March, Trump is the R nominee. (And that a lifetime of time.) Today, Trump stated that the D states are not going to stop ballot harvesting, and the R need to start now preparing to ballot harvest in those states. I could agree 100%.

Unless something changes between now and next March, Trump is the R nominee. (And that a lifetime of time.) Today, Trump stated that the D states are not going to stop ballot harvesting, and the R need to start now preparing to ballot harvest in those states. I could agree 100%.

I liked Trump, voted for him, and was a fan of all the policies he enacted during his term. With that being said, the WORST possible thing to happen for the GOP would be he gets the nod for 2024. He will lose, terribly. And we will endure another 4 years of pure hell. If he's our nominee I will still vote for him because I will die before I ever vote blue. However, I am not voting for him in the primary.

There's a lot of talk about DeSantis and "who will be governor" if he wins. Who cares? Sorry Florida, your interests don't supersede the needs of our nation. They will figure it out. Period. I personally think a DeSantis/Haley card is our best chance. Lets work through this:

1) He's well-spoken. A better and more polished version of Trump.
2) He has an outstanding approval rating in his state.
3) He is hugely supported by immigrants. My wife's Colombian family flipped blue to red, just because of him.
4) He has a military service background.
5) The big one: His COVID policies. There are a LOT of people crossing party lines that may vote for him just because of that.

Trump's day is done. He didn't get a fair deal but that's life. Now, the GOP has to get together and figure this out the right way.

I liked Trump, voted for him, and was a fan of all the policies he enacted during his term. With that being said, the WORST possible thing to happen for the GOP would be he gets the nod for 2024. He will lose, terribly. And we will endure another 4 years of pure hell. If he's our nominee I will still vote for him because I will die before I ever vote blue. However, I am not voting for him in the primary.

There's a lot of talk about DeSantis and "who will be governor" if he wins. Who cares? Sorry Florida, your interests don't supersede the needs of our nation. They will figure it out. Period. I personally think a DeSantis/Haley card is our best chance. Lets work through this:

1) He's well-spoken. A better and more polished version of Trump.
2) He has an outstanding approval rating in his state.
3) He is hugely supported by immigrants. My wife's Colombian family flipped blue to red, just because of him.
4) He has a military service background.
5) The big one: His COVID policies. There are a LOT of people crossing party lines that may vote for him just because of that.

Trump's day is done. He didn't get a fair deal but that's life. Now, the GOP has to get together and figure this out the right way.
I love the thought of a DeSantis/Haley card. Unbeatable!

I love the thought of a DeSantis/Haley card. Unbeatable!

Unbeatable if the American public wakes up, which may very well be the case. The big one is COVID policies. There are a lot of people, even on the blue side, that realized everyone else got it really wrong. I have several buddies who were blue and now said if DeSantis gets the nomination he's got their vote but Trump, no way.

Like I said, Trump got a raw deal. Jan 6th may not have been what it appeared to be but he got it wrong. His response was poor. He can't keep his mouth shut. This is the free-world and not a locker room or bar. I don't mind someone who is not afraid to tell you like it is. DeSantis has the talent to do that AND do it in a way that passes the smell test.

God help us if Trump doesn't get the nomination and runs as an independent. We're done.

"He can't keep his mouth shut. This is the free-world and not a locker room or bar."

This, in a nutshell. As a former elementary teacher, I have often compared his behavior to a petulant kindergartner. Some folks on here have argued that his behavior is irrelevant if he gets stuff done. Maybe I'm just too idealistic but I want stuff done and done so with class. I have also heard some on here put forth an argument to the effect of "well they started it; he's just fighting back." Again... so what? You can stand your ground without being a belligerent ass about it. Anyway... that's my 2 cents. @HookMeUpII, I think you stated what a lot of us feel very well.

I have said many times my hope was always DeSantis/Noem. That's still my hope but maybe Noem won't be interested. I could/can certainly get behind DeSantis/Haley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,