Politics

@mdwest

Dave... I gotta ask... that description: "the D's could run the offspring of an orangutan crossbred with a feral pig"... are you suggesting that the Dems will run their own version of Trump? :unsure:

It was sounding to me like they were going to run Hillary again!

Him running as an independent would be a disastrous situation. However, you believe he won't get the nomination as a GOP? Dare I say it but the poll numbers speak otherwise. I hope you're right though. DeSantis would likely be an absolute landslide victory over any of the Dem nominees, especially Biden.

I really believe if he doesn't get the nod from the GOP to run he will finally (for the most part) go away.
I have to agree that it would be a disastrous situation.

My wife keeps reminding me that we are a long way from 2024 and a lot can happen in the meantime. She really wonders about both Biden and Trump's ages in terms of health. She practiced as a RN for 45 years including home health and hospice. She may be right and I should stop worrying.

It was sounding to me like they were going to run Hillary again!

No need to insult orangu-hogs like that!

I know this must seem impossible to some, but the Speaker looks like he may have known what he was doing. :unsure: Moreover, with such overwhelming support, it allows Chip Roy and ilk to politically rail against the wind to their hearts' content without doing serious damage to the economy.

I know this must seem impossible to some, but the Speaker looks like he may have known what he was doing. :unsure: Moreover, with such overwhelming support, it allows Chip Roy and ilk to politically rail against the wind to their hearts' content without doing serious damage to the economy.

Joe Biden, and his troop of flying monkeys, are laughing their asses off, and popping the champagne.

974dbce6-e751-45b9-89d0-11a408dedb05.png

Why is Grassley going so gently on Wray? I just don't understand how the Republicans operate, if this were the other way around there would be fire and brimstone. Is it a smoking gun or isn't it?

Why is Grassley going so gently on Wray? I just don't understand how the Republicans operate, if this were the other way around there would be fire and brimstone. Is it a smoking gun or isn't it?
If it was the other way around and Wray was a Republican he’d already be under the freaking prison…….

I know this must seem impossible to some, but the Speaker looks like he may have known what he was doing. :unsure:

If the Speaker's original goal was to capitulate to the dems once again and squander the leverage that the republicans had, I agree..

In all seriousness, how do you categorize this as overwhelming support with 70 republicans voting against it? Let's assume for the sake of argument we dismiss the opinions of the 40+ "MAGA" republicans in the Freedom caucus as radical outliers... You still have some very intelligent, and experienced republicans who argue that this bill does little to nothing toward actually reducing the deficit in any real terms... This was no victory for fiscal conservatism in this country...

Many of the old guard Republicans are spineless, and have no balls. It is one of the many reasons why Democrats get away with what they do.

If the Speaker's original goal was to capitulate to the dems once again and squander the leverage that the republicans had, I agree..

In all seriousness, how do you categorize this as overwhelming support with 70 republicans voting against it? Let's assume for the sake of argument we dismiss the opinions of the 40+ "MAGA" republicans in the Freedom caucus as radical outliers... You still have some very intelligent, and experienced republicans who argue that this bill does little to nothing toward actually reducing the deficit in any real terms... This was no victory for fiscal conservatism in this country...
We clearly disagree.

I think the Speaker had almost no leverage, and I find the Freedom Caucus totally disingenuous. Had the country followed Chip Roy's apparent desire to default - we would have entered a fiscal territory without precedence. Wouldn't even be able to sell a T-Bill. However, I think he is fairly bright, could count the votes himself, and knew he had the freedom to demagogue the process without consequence. All of which I am certain the other intelligent members you mentioned fully understood as well (ok, probably not Lauren Boebert who couldn't even remember to make the vote). They could also count on their followers to cheer along without even considering the potential impact of default. I was impressed that MTG had the courage not to cynically play to her base.

Is 1.5 trillion over a decade a staggering claw back against our debt? Of course not - but unless the party with the votes wants to deal with the 86% of spending that isn't discretionary, then what he was able to get is pretty remarkable.

I keep wondering why we have a debt "ceiling" when we keep raising it.

Why imagine that - after a lot of bluster, the demagogues are starting to deal with reality. Jim Jordan and MTG are emerging as practical minded representatives of the people trying their best for their constituents within the constraints of a paper thin house majority (just like Kevin McCarthy). Much respect to both of them on this issue.

And who the hell cares if Biden tripped and fell. We had better focus on how to maximize our vote come November a year from now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg