POLAND: Roe Bucks 2022

Waidmannsheil @375Fox ! Very nice bucks you took! Were you also allowed to take some meat home?

So I have actually wondered about the weight system myself.

All Roe deer heads are weighed and then 90 grams are subtracted from the total weight to eliminate the skull weight?

I am assuming it’s the same for Fallow and Red Deer, but subtracting a larger amount?

Thanks for the info. I attempted to goggle that scoring system one time and couldn’t figure it out lol
The weight system seems to be more central and Eastern Europe. Western Europe seems to go with CIC score. It’s my guess the -90 is to eliminate the skull, but it seems the standard with roe buck. You can see some skulls are visibly bigger than other skulls though. I haven’t hunted trophy red stag or fallow in Europe but the price lists I found state weight with skull (no subtractions). It’s listed under similar threads under this thread but my big roe buck from Spain this year was 434g and 130.5 CIC. They weighed it because I asked them too but 130.5 CIC should put it in low gold medal. It’s difficult to compare the polish and Spanish bucks because bucks are very different genetics.

Waidmannsheil @375Fox ! Very nice bucks you took! Were you also allowed to take some meat home?
I didn’t ask, but think it would cause some issues getting home for me, particularly going through JFK on way back. I was really happy with dinner they had on final day with roe deer and boat meat. They commercially sold all the meat we took to generate more income for their club. They had a lot of nice high stands, food plots, and other hunting improvements. They also introduced fallow deer in 2020 (which unfortunately happened to be same year wolves appeared in area).

Exceptional deer! I really like the old one with the mass and pearling. Would be a trophy of a lifetime back in the day in Germany.

So I have actually wondered about the weight system myself.

All Roe deer heads are weighed and then 90 grams are subtracted from the total weight to eliminate the skull weight?

I am assuming it’s the same for Fallow and Red Deer, but subtracting a larger amount?

Thanks for the info. I attempted to goggle that scoring system one time and couldn’t figure it out lol
Have a look here on the CIC website for some info - http://www.cicukteb.com/uk-species/index. It depends on species as to whats important - Red deer, Roe deer weight is really important. However, Muntjac and Sika for example its all about length of beams / tines.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.48.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.48.59 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.49.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.49.00 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.49.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.49.02 AM.png
    499.5 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for sharing sounds like a super hunt did you bring your own rifle or used rifles from the club?

The weight system seems to be more central and Eastern Europe. Western Europe seems to go with CIC score.
This is partially true.
But to get CIC points you need somebody with CIC certificate, and it takes time.
To be more efficient in commercial hunting, more and more operators proceed the route of weight measuring.

This is partially true.
But to get CIC points you need somebody with CIC certificate, and it takes time.
To be more efficient in commercial hunting, more and more operators proceed the route of weight measuring.
Agreed. As weight is also the largest determining factor in score, its never usually far out charging by weight compared to what it will then score CIC method.

Did I ever mention, I hate CIC score system (equal to pricing)?
Uff, I hate it!
Many times I was sweating, should I shoot, or not shoot?

Thanks for sharing sounds like a super hunt did you bring your own rifle or used rifles from the club?
We borrowed their rifles. I used a steyr in 7x64 with a Swarovski scope. It’s too easy to rent and I’ve only seen high quality rifles and scopes in Europe.

You mentioned that the hunting was good in the area due to the strict rules the Residents must follow.

Are those rules age related etc? Sounds like a very nice hunt indeed

You mentioned that the hunting was good in the area due to the strict rules the Residents must follow.

Are those rules age related etc? Sounds like a very nice hunt indeed
I was very impressed with their knowledge about roe deer age because of the rules they must follow. The oldest buck they had personally harvested was 12. I think the hunting was very good because of that particular club’s management. The rules they told me they are required to follow as Polish hunters are trophy bucks (bucks where the tine that kicks back greater than 3 cm) must be at least 6 years old. The other category of buck is called select/management where that tine is less than 3 cm. The buck pictured in photo 7 is actually a select buck because of this. There is no age minimum on select bucks. However, they said this is only enforced for Polish hunters not visiting hunters by their overall hunting association in Poland, not all my trophy bucks will meet 6 years old. They said their quota is up to 40% trophy and 60% select. However, I don’t think they would have shot any of the bucks I killed as trophies for themselves. They were identifying select bucks they wanted to take after I left that were true management bucks that would never have any trophy potential. They also wanted to get the huge buck I missed on final morning, but generally they appear happier to take management bucks than trophies and only hold out for huge trophy bucks. They also seem most excited about hunting boars. Also, per their club rules they can only take trophies themselves after middle of rut. They make exception for visiting hunter but it’s only a small part of their quota most years and not every year. They will harvest select bucks at any time during season. They do this to ensure genetics are protected. I’ve only hunted with this club in Poland, but I really think the hunting is dependent on particular club you hunt with. This club has a smaller membership and seem to all get along great. Different clubs will have different practices and game management.

I’m booked to hunt roe deer in Sweden in June and I asked for a quote to rebook this Polish hunt next year, so I’ll get a new country to compare next year. Sweden sounds like large private landowner and professional game keeper, so different management style again.

Very impressive management. Sounds like the resident hunters have to contain a lot of knowledge too.

Do you use the same agency to book the Sweden hunt?

I was very impressed with their knowledge about roe deer age because of the rules they must follow. The oldest buck they had personally harvested was 12. I think the hunting was very good because of that particular club’s management. The rules they told me they are required to follow as Polish hunters are trophy bucks (bucks where the tine that kicks back greater than 3 cm) must be at least 6 years old. The other category of buck is called select/management where that tine is less than 3 cm. The buck pictured in photo 7 is actually a select buck because of this. There is no age minimum on select bucks. However, they said this is only enforced for Polish hunters not visiting hunters by their overall hunting association in Poland, not all my trophy bucks will meet 6 years old. They said their quota is up to 40% trophy and 60% select. However, I don’t think they would have shot any of the bucks I killed as trophies for themselves. They were identifying select bucks they wanted to take after I left that were true management bucks that would never have any trophy potential. They also wanted to get the huge buck I missed on final morning, but generally they appear happier to take management bucks than trophies and only hold out for huge trophy bucks. They also seem most excited about hunting boars. Also, per their club rules they can only take trophies themselves after middle of rut. They make exception for visiting hunter but it’s only a small part of their quota most years and not every year. They will harvest select bucks at any time during season. They do this to ensure genetics are protected. I’ve only hunted with this club in Poland, but I really think the hunting is dependent on particular club you hunt with. This club has a smaller membership and seem to all get along great. Different clubs will have different practices and game management.

I’m booked to hunt roe deer in Sweden in June and I asked for a quote to rebook this Polish hunt next year, so I’ll get a new country to compare next year. Sweden sounds like large private landowner and professional game keeper, so different management style again.
Would you mind sharing the contact in Poland?

Wow! Now that I’ve seen roe deer in England I really want to go back and hunt them during the rut. These are some very nice heads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!