Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, NWTF, DU, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Guatemala, South Africa x4, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Poland x2, Czech Republic, Spain.
In late September 2014 my wife and I traveled to central Poland to hunt for Red Stag and Roe Deer. Our outfitter was Michael Spalt of Hunt Adventure Company. http://www.huntadventure.pl

IMG_0548.JPG

I selected to hunt with Michael for many reasons. His email communication was absolutely fantastic; very timely and detailed. Michael took the time to determine what type of hunting experience we were looking for. He offered numerous hunting areas, game species and lodging options for us to customize our own adventure.

Our flights went smoothly. Seattle to Amsterdam, finishing in Warsaw. After collecting our luggage we met with Michael in the greeting area of the airport. We loaded our gear into his vehicle and traveled south for nearly two hours to reach the hotel near the Piotrków Trybunalski hunting area. After checking in at the hotel we discussed the game plan for the following morning before retiring for the evening.

Anticipation was at an all-time high for the first morning of the hunt. We left the hotel and reached the nearly 20,000 acre hunting area in less than five minutes’ drive. As light slowly started to filter through the heavily wooded landscape we parked the vehicle and started to walk. Upon reaching a large clearing we could see several Red Deer females and one very nice stag on the far edge of the clearing. I was so transfixed watching the Red Deer stag through my binoculars I nearly did not see the mature Fallow Deer stag skirting the wood line. The wind was good and we made a stalk getting within 250 meters of the stag. Too many eyes in the herd and a wary female ended the game. The remainder of the morning was spent listening to stags roar in the heavy forest and stalking in an attempt to close the distance. We saw numerous Red Deer, Fallow Deer and a few Roe Deer before the rain started and it was agreed to return to the hotel for breakfast and some dry clothing.

The first evening of the hunt found us sitting in a high stand overlooking a very dense block of timber. Our Polish hunting guide, Robert, said the area held a few good Red Deer stags. As we settled in to begin the wait the sounds of roaring stags cut through the air. Nearly 30 minutes into the wait a nice stag quietly slipped into the small clearing chasing a female. He stopped behind some dense undergrowth. Only his neck, head and antlers were visible. He stood for what seemed like an eternity, quietly staring into the forest. The .308 was ready and as the stag moved he presented a good quartering away shot. At the shot he reacted well and crashed into the nearby cover. He stumbled into a very small opening and I was able to connect with two additional insurance shots to anchor him. After a brief wait we approached the downed stag. I was captivated by his dark and heavily crowned headgear. Upon further inspection the stag had a large puncture wound through his upper jaw and a fractured lower jaw as a result of fighting for breeding rights. He would not survive another Poland winter. The traditional European branch ceremony was conducted to celebrate both the animal taken and the fortune of the hunter; a once in a lifetime experience. Our guide Robert returned to his vehicle to phone for assistance in retrieving the stag. He returned as we were taking trophy photos with a shot glass and a bottle of Polish vodka to celebrate the end of a successful hunt. Additional help arrived and we reached the vehicle with the stag just as darkness set in. After processing and hanging the stag we returned to the hotel for a cold beer and some sleep.

Days two and three were spent pursuing Roe Deer. Glassing agricultural fields bordering heavy forest during early morning and late evening produced many Roe Deer sightings. We saw several dozen Roe per outing, including multiple trophy bucks. On the third evening we spotted a good Roe buck bedding in the open on the edge of some heavy woods. I was able to use the wood line to conceal my approach and soon was within 75 yards of the bedded buck. After getting my breathing under control I whistled for the buck to rise. Nothing… After making several noises over the course of 3-4 minutes the buck finally stood. One shot behind the shoulder anchored him. The traditional branch ceremony was performed in honor of a successful hunt. I was elated to have both of the primary species I was seeking on this trip in the salt with one hunting day remaining.

Sunrise on day four found us sitting in a high stand overlooking a grassy swamp for wild boars. There were numerous and heavily used game trails leading through the swamp. Although we saw no boar on this morning it was a wonderful experience with great company.

During the midday break from hunting Michael took us to several nearby towns to sightsee and photograph daily life in Poland. A visit to a local hunting store was a highlight for me. These excursions were great in addition to our hunting adventure.

Our final night of the hunt was spent in a high seat overlooking a harvested wheat field in search of wild boar. There was pig sign everywhere on the edge of the field and we felt our chances were good. Throughout the evening many Roe Deer fed into the field and at last light a group of Red Deer broke the tree line. It was great to hear the stag roar one last time as our hunting concluded.

Michael took us to the train depot in Lodz the following morning. We traveled south to visit the town of Krakow; an incredible old city that fortunately survived WWII. We toured multiple castles, historic monuments and the Auschwitz/ Birkenau camps from WWII. We were impressed by many aspects of our stay in Krakow; the warmth and hospitality of the local people, the easy transportation and the affordability of lodging and meals. A must see city and a great side trip.

IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

Anyone wishing to hunt in Eastern Europe should check out Hunt Adventure Poland’s website and contact Michael Spalt. Absolutely everything was top notch and exactly as described at very reasonable prices. Truly a great value-for-money hunt; much more affordable than most European countries. Hunt Adventure offers Red Deer, Roe Deer, Fallow Deer, Wild Boar, Mouflon Sheep, and European Bison. We are already planning our next adventure with Michael for Fallow Deer, Wild Boar and Mouflon in 2016. Feel free to contact me with any questions about our experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottG

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Wow great hunt, great adventure looks like a trip well worth taking.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Thanks for posting your hunt report.
Very nice trip.

Is the Roe Buck just shedding summer color?
Borrowed firearm?

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Thanks for sharing!

nkjonas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, NWTF, DU, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Guatemala, South Africa x4, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Poland x2, Czech Republic, Spain.
The Roe Deer were transitioning to their winter coats. Euro mount on the Roe for sure..

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Did you rent a rifle? I assume so.

nkjonas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, NWTF, DU, RMEF
Hunted
We traveled with our own rifle. It is not legal to rent or borrow a firearm in Poland... Very easy process as long as you do your homework on paperwork/ permits required for transiting through countries with a firearm as checked luggage.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Thanks. That is easy enough to figure out.

ROCKET

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
mghunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, South Africa
Very good trophies both of them, great place, roe buck in Europe allways is around in my mind.....!!!!

Thanks for share this good hunting report.....!!!!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Excellent hunt and post! We are going to hunt Romania in 2016 with Horia. I never thought of hunting Europe until I saw posts like this here at AH. Now it looks like Poland is going on the bucket list too!

adgunner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) South Africa (6) Argentina
Thanks for sharing, some of the first writing I have seen on Poland, very interesting.

accipiter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, USA
Nathan I am glad that you were able to make the trip to Europe. It looks like you chose the perfect time of year for the hunt too. Congratulations on a very successful hunt!

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Congratulations on your trophies. Sounds like a great hunt.

Enjoyed all the photos including the sightseeing ones.

Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hi Nathan! Dont foreget to post final plaquet on the wall ! :)
Thank you for vising us and see you again!

Last edited by a moderator:

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Great hunt report and pictures, I enjoyed it a lot!

UKHunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
Reading your story really took me back to my trip to Poland in 2010. I would love to go back, it is a country full of tradition and great hunting.

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Reading your story really took me back to my trip to Poland in 2010. I would love to go back, it is a country full of tradition and great hunting.
Thank you UKHunter. Iam glad that you are happy with hunting in Poland and our hunting traditions.
All the best.
Witold

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I have every intention of hunting Poland one day. I just need to get some of these Africa trips done first.

UKHunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
Thank you UKHunter. Iam glad that you are happy with hunting in Poland and our hunting traditions.
All the best.
Witold

Witold,

When I plan a return trip Ill be in touch for your recomendations of where to go.

ATB,

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AracelySha

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh