Reaction score
Website
www.namibiahuntingsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NAPHA, SCI
Here in Namibia poaching has steadily been on the rise and is certainly a big problem today. We now have an anti poaching team of 6 guys who live and breath the bush 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We caught a few poachers this year, most got fines and a couple ended up in jail for a few years for attempted murder after coming at our guys with a knife and a machete (our guys have even had spears thrown at them), luckily no one on our anti poaching team has been hurt so far. When needed they call for back up with their provided cell phones. We make arrests, usually shoot the dogs on site if present and call the police. Catching poachers is not an easy task especially over a large area. Having an anti poaching team in place is a little bit of a deterrent but does not stop the poachers just slows them down. Our team is constantly monitoring our hunting territory looking for poachers but also collecting snares and traps that they come across on game trails which they turn in. Here are the snares found over the last couple of weeks, since the beginning of November (19 days, 93 snares).

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Here is a pile of snares found over the last 6 months which have been destroyed by cutting them apart to ensure that they are not ever used again.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Once the animal is in the snare, poachers use spears (the ones below average 1.40 meter/55 inches long) to finish off the animal if not already dead. Here are some recovered poachers' spears which I kept, all made of metal. The worst part about the snares is that the poachers leave behind many set snares that will continue to catch and kill animal that come into contact with them for years after the poachers have moved on.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Abselutely terrible state of affairs with these poachers. Great to see you are dedicated to erradicating it, seems like a never ending cycle in Africa. Heart breaking to stumble onto a scene were a animal was caught in a snare. Great work and best of luck.

Snares are certainly the worst case scenario for creating animals suffering.

Wish the guys good luck in their continued efforts.

Glad you now have an anti-poaching team. The Gemsbok I shot in Namibia had a wound on its neck from a poacher. It has to be a European mount but the horns are outstanding. Its still a great animal and probably saved it from a painful death from infection.

Keep fighting and thanks for sharing. It sure seems like an uphill battle....

Jerome,

Solid steel spears seems unusual and heavy. Is this the standard in Namibia or is it just what the poachers use to kill snared animals?
I guess it is easier than having a blacksmith cut/pound a blade out of leaf spring.

How much does poached meat sell for in Namibia?

Wish you the best in keeping the poaching down.(y)

Keep catching them sir. Maybe you let them sit snared up for a couple of days then call the police.

Is this the standard in Namibia or is it just what the poachers use to kill snared animals?
The steel spears are indeed heavy and rigid, not really something to throw or at least not very far. I can imagine that the weight of them actually helps in penetrating the animal. I think mostly something that poachers use to finish off snared animals.

How much does poached meat sell for in Namibia?
Don't know specifically about poached meat as it does not come labeled as poached but here in the shanty town, they sell off of the street packet meat of about a kilogram for N$ 30 per kg. At the stores and butcher shop, a kilogram of game meat sells for about N$ 65 per kg. The carcass/meat weight of an average Oryx is about 85 to 95 kilogram. Keep in mind that meat prices vary also based on where it is sold and if it is prime or not.

A cycle for sure.

thank you for sharing.

The steel spears are indeed heavy and rigid, not really something to throw or at least not very far. I can imagine that the weight of them actually helps in penetrating the animal. I think mostly something that poachers use to finish off snared animals.

Don't know specifically about poached meat as it does not come labeled as poached but here in the shanty town, they sell off of the street packet meat of about a kilogram for N$ 30 per kg. At the stores and butcher shop, a kilogram of game meat sells for about N$ 65 per kg. The carcass/meat weight of an average Oryx is about 85 to 95 kilogram. Keep in mind that meat prices vary also based on where it is sold and if it is prime or not.

Thanks for the education.

It is obviously a good paying criminal gig if they don't get caught.

All the best in keeping them off your property and in jail!

IMG_1578.JPG
My snaring/poaching days. o_O

Never made the step up to big game.

Wish you the best of luck in your efforts, Jerome !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you