Poachers Kill 250 Lions Annually In Tanzania

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
full

In Summary
An official from the Tanzania Wildlife Research Institute (Tawiri) Dr Dennis Ikanda said the number of lions has dropped from about 25,000 in 2010 to 16,000 currently.

By By Habel Chidawali @TheCitizenTz

Dodoma. A total of 250 lions are killed every year in Tanzania by poachers raising fears of the possible extinction of the "king of the jungle" in the country in the foreseeable future. An official from the Tanzania Wildlife Research Institute (Tawiri) Dr Dennis Ikanda said the number of lions has dropped from about 25,000 in 2010 to 16,000 currently. Speaking during the commemorations of World wildlife Day Dr Ikanda noted that Tanzania still hosts the largest number of lions of any other country but if the poaching trend is worrying.

The theme of the World Wildlife Day was “Big Cats: Predators Under Threat" and it was aimed at sensitizing the public on the importance of protecting the big cats. About 80 per cent of the lions live in national parks, Dr Ikanda noted, but it is the remaining 20 per cent that lives in the unprotected forests that is in high risk of poaching. Speaking on behalf of the Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa, the Minister of Natural Resources and Tourism Dr Hamisi Kigwangala said Tanzania has signed various international agreements on the protection of wild animals, and that it will continue working the talk on the signed pacts.

He went on to ask the religious leaders and the civil societies associations to continue to speak against poaching. “It’s a cross-cutting issue that needs active participation of every member of the society, these animal are for the present and future of the country,” he said.

Source: http://www.thecitizen.co.tz/News/Po...in-Tanzania/1840340-4327174-pk7pmh/index.html

Does anyone know how many legal hunting permits are issues for lions in Tanzania each year? I understand with them being illegal to import (Brickburn's post above) that the hunts are way down. Just wondering what the comparison was of legal take vs poached. I'm sure legal is WAY smaller. To me, it's the other half of the stat that is important when talking to non-hunters.

EU-reported imports also showed that the EU was a significant importer of hunting trophies, with 1355 Panthera leo, 1828 P. pardus, and 1532 Hippopotamus amphibious trophies reported as imported, compared to 3238, 3470 and 1188, respectively, trophies of the same species reported as exported by Tanzania globally between 1980-2005.

For comparison purposes. Over 25 years on average 129 Lion Exported from Tanzania.
(If the report is to be believed. )

Going to get worse I’m afraid. Say goodbye to Tanzania as a premier destination.

Sad to hear that the opportunities to hunt the famous destination are shrinking. The consequences as we all know will be fewer animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,