Poachers - It Happened To Me... In Germany

yumitori

Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Europe
Most of you know that in Germany huntin grounds are leased . Some leasers have game keepers. Ans such a game keeper with Special examination and copper badge I was from 1979 to 1984 .
In spring 1980 I heared large caliber rifle shots when I was on a stalk. My master of the hunt denied the possibility o poaching - till I found a young roebuck, doubtless shot in the stomach with a .223 (I could find the bullet).
Police was informed and in early winter I controlled the hunting ground one late afternoon when I suddenly heared something scratching through the branches of the spruces, followed by a loud bang - a rifle shot.
I hit the deck ( I did not carry a rifle or a handgun....) and waited till darkness, then made my way to the hunting cabin .
One should know that cellphones were but a dream in those days in Germany.
Next morning I drove to the next Police Station - the told me I should be happy tobe alive because a hunter in a ground not 2 miles away from ours hat been hit by a .308 shot and was brought to Hospital.
In summer 1981 I made a walk with my dog (German short haired pointer), Axel by the name, at 2 PM, bright sunshine, the roes had rutting time an I was allowed to shoot an old one, so I could hardly wait to get on a high stand . No really old roebuck stepped out so me and my dog made our way to the cabin in deep darkness.
Suddenly a powerful beam of a Spotlight flashes about 20 Yards away and moved along the forest edge, finall catching us. Axel was snarling and again we both hit the deck, we hunkered down behind an old stub .
The law in Germany says that when one is notin active hunting, the rifle or shotgun has to be unloaded; so was mine. I just had controlled the leash of my dog - he was my best frieend at those times - when gunfire held us down...
After what I felt a quarter of an hour the engine of a car roared and I was happy that the poachers had not been nosy and did not look whether they hit us or not.

Yes, this is the end of the Story - in 1985 some poachers had been arrested but it never could be investigated whether or not they were the gang of the said occurrences.
The lesson is: Where there lives game, there is poaching.

Always good Shooting and take care

Yumitori

Last edited by a moderator:
Poachers don't want to be caught. Unfortunately this same struggle continues today. Most of the time the poachers are not apprehended.

Very true that most poachers are never caught. However, it's good to see when they are. I pitty the fool who shoots at me in the woods. Hot metal inbound deserves hot returned. An accident is one thing but more than one shot isn't an accident!

Very true that most poachers are never caught. However, it's good to see when they are. I pitty the fool who shoots at me in the woods. Hot metal inbound deserves hot returned. An accident is one thing but more than one shot isn't an accident!
in this situation you will need more than a double with two shots,better keep your bolts,ill keep my poor two shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross