Poachers Are Winning The War

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
30 November 2016

Namibia is a country hit by devastating poaching there is certainly no doubt about that. Activists and the Ministry of Environment and Tourism have particularly turned the tide against this surge for rhino horns and elephant ivory and while it has led to a number of arrests, there is still no end in sight to this disturbing phenomenon. Efforts to combat poaching have been complemented by the Namibian police, which have carried out a series of operations across the country. There have been success stories here and there, which led to the arrest of perpetrators, but the wider problem of demand, corruption and organised crime still continues to rear its ugly head. At this rate it seems that the poachers are winning this battle as global efforts against rhino horn traffickers still fall short. Wildlife trafficking is estimated to generate billions of dollars a year globally and AFP reported in September this year that poaching syndicates have shipped large amounts of African elephant ivory last year despite global calls to dismantle the trafficking networks. In most cases, these networks collude with corrupt officials and conservationists, while the middlemen and kingpins orchestrating the trade continue to live at large. This begs the question if law enforcement is winning the war against illegal rhino horn trafficking. Just a week ago a Chinese strolled through airport security with a suitcase containing 18 rhino horns. The horns were detected on the scanners, but he was nevertheless allowed to proceed. Ye Zhiwei who was in transit from Windhoek to Hong Kong, was still allowed to board a South African Airways flight bound for Johannesburg where he was fortunately arrested. Again this shows that there is plenty of corruption. Yet, nobody is really uncovering the identities of these kingpins, the well-connected ringleaders and the corrupt officials who aid and abet them in their heinous crimes. There is little hope of success given the organised crime syndicate behind rhino horn trafficking. Guns alone will not win the war against poachers. Bigger fines, longer jail sentences and the political will to enforce the law might do the trick.

Source: https://www.namibiansun.com/news/poachers-are-winning-the-war/

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the in field death penalty might help,or the hacking off of the front of the face as they do to the rhinos and letting them live or die as the case may be.if they lived they would be forever recognized for what they are.

We have not won the war on drugs. Demand will find a supply, so either we extinguish demand, which has not happened yet and does not look to happen any time soon, or we find a way to sustainably fill that demand. Swaziland wanted to be able to sell rhino horn. It seems to me that allowing rhino horns to be sold could very quickly reduce the street value of the horns, which will greatly affect the profitability of poaching while still maintaining the risk. It would also open up the industry of horn farming. Perhaps that is the way? I know it won't work with ivory, but we can harvest rhino horn without killing the rhino.

Swaziland is a prime example that rhino poaching can be stopped. I stayed at one of the reserves last year in Swaziland, rhino poaching is just about "zero", poachers know they will be dealt with harshly.

Mozambique has just passed a bunch of new laws regarding poachers, hopefully this will help.

Swaziland is a prime example that rhino poaching can be stopped. I stayed at one of the reserves last year in Swaziland, rhino poaching is just about "zero", poachers know they will be dealt with harshly.

Mozambique has just passed a bunch of new laws regarding poachers, hopefully this will help.

Good to hear the laws are improving but will the enforcement improve? Time will tell!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross