NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Media Statement from Limpopo Media Centre
Corporate Communication
South African Police Service

LEPHALALE - The Provincial Commissioner of the South African Police Service in Limpopo, Lieutenant General Nneke Ledwaba is elated by the sentence meted out to the convicted Rhino poacher, Freitas Antonio Xavier aged 57, who was on Monday 2018-05-07 sentenced by Lephalale Regional court to R1 million fine or ten (10) years imprisonment.

This sentence emanates from a case that was investigated by the Endangered Species Unit of the South African Police Service. The case was reported in Lephalale in January 2017. The meticulous detective work that was carried out by members of this unit ensured that the accused ended up pleading guilty to the charges.

Prior to the apprehension of the said game farmer, the investigating team was led to the scene at his farm in a well-coordinated operation. On arrival the following were recovered:

• eight (8) rhino feet in a cold room
  • seven (7) carcasses in a cold room
  • one (1) decomposed rhino carcass
  • two (2) rhino hides (skins) and some bones dug from the ground at the same farm.
  • two (2) rhino heads in a cold room
The accused was convicted and sentenced on charges of hunting of specially protected animals without permit, Possession/donation of rhino parts without permit and selling of rhino meat without permit.

The Provincial Commissioner has commended all members who were involved in these investigations and urged them to leave no stone unturned until all those who received the rhino horns are also arrested.

The police are still following up on the information that a helicopter was seen in the vicinity which raised the suspicion that the rhino horns might have been taken to other destinations. Anyone with information is requested to contact Warrant Officer Johannes Jurgengs van Heerden at 0828144300.

Media Enquiries: Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo - 0828766429

Screenshot (75).png

Source: https://www.saps.gov.za/newsroom/selnewsdetails.php?nid=15609

Last edited by a moderator:
So, 7 Rhino at an average of 3kg of horn per Rhino.
$60,000 to $100,00 USD per Kilo of horn.
1,260,000 USD (on the low side)

15,525,770 RAND

I think he can afford the fine!

Oh, and the money from the meat sales apparently.

The find AND 10 years in jail might actually be a deterrent.

Sounds like he may have been poaching off his neighboring farms.

He probably made a lot more poaching and can easily pay the fine.
Better would have been take all his property, 30 years prison and/or death.
Then others might think twice about poaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross