Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Natasha Adam Bulawayo Bureau

A SUSPECTED rhino poacher was recently killed in a shoot-out with Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZimParks) rangers at Save Valley Conservancy in Masvingo Province.

ZimParks spokesperson Mr Tinashe Farawo said two other suspected poachers escaped.

Mr Farawo said the suspected rhino poachers were armed and ZimParks rangers managed to recover firearms at the scene.

images-1.jpg

He described the incident which occurred on Monday last week as unfortunate.

The ZimParks spokesperson said the incident is still under police investigation and no arrests have been made yet.

“It is unfortunate that one suspected poacher was shot dead in Save and two other suspected poachers managed to escape. We were able to recover a rifle that we suspect they were using, a silencer and four rounds of ammunition,” said Mr Farawo.

He said ZimParks had adopted zero tolerance to poaching.

Mr Farawo said on December 31 last year four ZimParks rangers were shot and killed during an exchange of fire with poachers in Kariba.

“We are on high alert. National parks are protected areas. They are no-go areas for illegal activities and poachers should be warned, “ said Mr Farawo.

“It is difficult to arrest armed people so at the end of the day you have to fight fire with fire.”

Last month, three suspected poachers, among them a cop stationed at Bulawayo’s Pumula Police Station Nhlanhla Nkomo (43) appeared in court for allegedly poaching rhinos at Bubye Valley Conservancy outside Beitbridge.

Last year in May, two poachers were shot and killed during a shoot- out with rangers at Bubye Valley Conservancy. The two poachers who were armed with a rifle and an axe, had contact with rangers while tracking a rhino.

https://www.herald.co.zw/poacher-dies-in-shoot-out/

Kill one, two more pop up. It's like the drug business in the states.

It's like the drug business in the states.

And just like street level Dope dealers...with the exception of corrupt Gov't Game scouts...They'er doing what they can to survive and feed their families. The Wilderness of the Veld or the Wilderness of inner-city ghettos different jungle same survival of the fittest laws of nature...

Loosely translated we call that " the risks of the trade" . In other words good riddance.

Sad the other two got away

Well, if they try it again maybe they'll get busted or dusted, too.

Namibia: Senior Cop Arrested Over Rhino Poaching:

A senior police officer at Oshakati's protected resources unit was the mastermind behind the poaching incidences which occurred in Etosha National Park last month.

In an interview with New Era yesterday, Minister of Environment and Tourism Pohamba Shifeta confirmed that two rhinos have been poached to date this year, where a senior police officer who is heading the protected resources unit was involved.

Shifeta said the police officer together with other members of the Oshakati Town Council were arrested when caught red handed while removing the horns of two poached rhinos in the Etosha National Park last month.

Both suspects appeared in the Oshakati Magistrate's Court and were denied bail.

"There is a syndicate. The middleman is a police officer who was commanding the protected resource unit. Imagine, someone who is supposed to protect the wildlife is involved in poaching. They appeared and were denied bail. It's a serious matter, especially when it involves a senior police officer," Shifeta said.

Shifeta said there were incidences of poaching last year which involved soldiers.

$900,000 U.S. for 30 lbs. of rhino horn (about one mature specimen) or $30k a pound. If rhinos were native to the U.S., they'd have been gone a long time ago. It's a miracle there are any remaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross