Please Recommend A 220 Grain .30-06 Springfield Factory Load

mawla,
pictures of dead animals, in the field or on the floor/wall prove nothing other than the fact that you have not had a problem yet.
i am not the only one to have had problems.
i have seen how much more effective better bullets are terminally.
hopefully you stay alive long enough to find out, and also that not too many animals suffer in the process.
bruce.

mawla,
pictures of dead animals, in the field or on the floor/wall prove nothing other than the fact that you have not had a problem yet.
i am not the only one to have had problems.
i have seen how much more effective better bullets are terminally.
hopefully you stay alive long enough to find out, and also that not too many animals suffer in the process.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
People have definitely had problems with Nosler Partition bullets , just like people have ( at one point or another ) had problems with Hornady bullets or Woodleigh bullets or even Barnes bullets . Bullets are manufactured by human beings and not God ( or some other divine infallible entity ) , so every bullet company’s history has had a problem with a bad batch of products at some point or another . People have also had problems with the .458 Winchester Magnum and Spanish shotguns , but I have been using both for more than 40 years now without any problems ( but not even once do I doubt any of these claims ) . The harsh reality of commercial products is this : For every 100 people who like a particular product , there will be ten who are critical of it .

I have been using Nosler Partition bullets in most calibres , ever since the 1980s . I have used them to hunt game for the larder . I have used them to hunt trophies . And I have also used them on Problem Animal Control work to hunt things which have killed people . I have never had a problem . I am not saying that it cannot happen at all . But the law of averages mandates that if it has not happened to me in 40 years of hunting , then I am reasonably safe .

In regards to animals suffering , I have only myself to blame whenever I bungled a shot . I am pleased to say that most of the time I have shot game animals with Nosler Partition bullets , I did not need a second shot and I did not really have to partake in much of a tracking job either .

While modern bullets are always a welcome technological advancement , many people suddenly begin to form the view that the older bullet designs are completely ineffective . I cannot agree with such a view , even though I will respect it .

And yes , I own 500 grain Norma A Frame soft nosed factory loads for my .458 Winchester Magnum too .
45DADA75-45E4-4856-A9E8-80393FC75A3A.jpeg

They are excellent bullets but I am content with the Nosler Partition .

Last edited:
The Remington Core-Lokt is a standard in Alaska. I have kept my eye open for a friend who likes them for moose. That said I have seen lots of 150 and 165 grain in brand new boxes so the brand still exists, but no 220 grain. The 220s are probably still being made but they are definitely a niche market and less frequently produced. Keep your eyes open and cross your fingers, they could still show up.

While I understand you want to use one powder for multiple cartridges, there are limitations. Bruce's knowledge is spot on. I just looked in the Lee manual, which generally has data on as many powders as will work for a cartridge, and IMR3031 is not mentioned for 30-06 in anything beyond 165 grain jacketed bullet. Win 760/ H 414 is a much better idea for that cartridge and bullet weight. But I'm not the one pulling the trigger so I certainly can't stop you.

The Remington Core-Lokt is a standard in Alaska. I have kept my eye open for a friend who likes them for moose. That said I have seen lots of 150 and 165 grain in brand new boxes so the brand still exists, but no 220 grain. The 220s are probably still being made but they are definitely a niche market and less frequently produced. Keep your eyes open and cross your fingers, they could still show up.

While I understand you want to use one powder for multiple cartridges, there are limitations. Bruce's knowledge is spot on. I just looked in the Lee manual, which generally has data on as many powders as will work for a cartridge, and IMR3031 is not mentioned for 30-06 in anything beyond 165 grain jacketed bullet. Win 760/ H 414 is a much better idea for that cartridge and bullet weight. But I'm not the one pulling the trigger so I certainly can't stop you.
@Ryan
That is most sensible advice which you have given . Even though I prefer IMR3031 for my hand loaded .458 Winchester Magnum rounds , I see absolutely no problem whatsoever in switching more a more appropriate gunpowder for hand loading .30-06 Springfield rounds . Win760 , Accurate 2230 , Somchem S321 or other gunpowders are perfectly acceptable alternatives .

Professor if you cannot get 220 grain bullets I would not hesitate to use 200 grain Nosler Partitions. I have used them with great results.

I never used the 220 gr Core Lock but I used a 30-30 and 303 with Core Locks (170 and 180 gr) when I was a boy. The Core Locks seemed to be a bit softer then Nosler Partitions. My personal opinion is that a 220 gr bullet makes sense for soft projectiles like the Core Lock. If you have something tougher like a Partition the extra weight is probably not necessary unless you are driving the bullet through a moose's shoulder bones.

This spring I shot a small black bear with a 308 loaded with 200 gr. Partition bullets. It was very close range so we can assume the 308 performed roughly like a 30-06 would at longer range. The 200 grain bullet penetrated through both sides of the bear's ribs but opened up enough to cause massive internal damage. I don't think a tougher or heavier bullet would have been more effective.

Later a young friend of mine shot a caribou with a 308 using my 200 gr. load at about 180 yards. The bullet penetrated through both sides of the caribou's rig cage and exited out the far side. The caribou died within a few seconds. Internal damage to the caribou was a bit less, probably because of lower velocity at long range. For a 30-06 at longer range I think a 220 gr Partition might be a bit too tough. Impact velocity will be relatively low and the bullet might not expand fully. I'd stick with a 200 gr or even a 180 grain bullet.

Just my thoughts but you've shot a lot more animals then I have so take it with a grain of salt. Below is the caribou taken with the 200 gr Partition to give you an idea of the size. You can see the exit wound on the right, not particularly large.

P1110751 - Copy.jpg

This hunt was a special one by the way, that boy is an Alaskan Native friend of mine. This caribou was the end of a year long quest to get him his first kill.

For what its worth I also shot a similar sized caribou with a 180 gr SST out of the same 308. I could not see much difference between the two bullets. Both penetrated and blew a big hole in the lungs. If anything the softer SST might have been a bit better.

Good evening .
As many of you gentlemen know , I hunt Himalayan ibex once every alternate year .
View attachment 371106
In 2021 , I shall be going off again . Like I sometimes do ( when hunting in foreign countries ) , I shall be using the outfitter’s rifle - A .30-06 Springfield ( a sporterized Springfield Model 1903 ) this time around . The last Himalayan ibex which I had shot with a .30-06 Springfield ( pictured ) , was hunted by using 220 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nosed factory loads . However , my outfitters are currently unable to source any 220 grain Remington Core Lokt ammunition for my use in the .30-06 Springfield . I suspect that Remington going bankrupt has a hand in this . My outfitters can source .30-06 Springfield ammunition from most other brands for me , however .

I would be most grateful if anyone here would be so kind as to recommend a 220 grain soft nosed factory load for the .30-06 Springfield , which is currently being manufactured . But the bullet should be one of acceptable quality ( good expansion and at least 75 % weight retention) , because Himalayan ibex are very big animals .

With very best wishes ,
Anayeth
Prof.,
the loading of such a heavy projectile only brings disadvantages in the sense of an external ballistic or target ballistic performance for mountain hunting.
A heavy bullet in this -not exactly fast calibre- its strength only plays out at a short distance .
80 m is the end.
Beyond that distance there is nothing, but nothing that a 180 gr bullet cannot do better.
Each calibre has its ideal ballistic parameters, so I would stick to 180g in any case for an ibex.
Regards
Foxi

Professor if you cannot get 220 grain bullets I would not hesitate to use 200 grain Nosler Partitions. I have used them with great results.

I never used the 220 gr Core Lock but I used a 30-30 and 303 with Core Locks (170 and 180 gr) when I was a boy. The Core Locks seemed to be a bit softer then Nosler Partitions. My personal opinion is that a 220 gr bullet makes sense for soft projectiles like the Core Lock. If you have something tougher like a Partition the extra weight is probably not necessary unless you are driving the bullet through a moose's shoulder bones.

This spring I shot a small black bear with a 308 loaded with 200 gr. Partition bullets. It was very close range so we can assume the 308 performed roughly like a 30-06 would at longer range. The 200 grain bullet penetrated through both sides of the bear's ribs but opened up enough to cause massive internal damage. I don't think a tougher or heavier bullet would have been more effective.

Later a young friend of mine shot a caribou with a 308 using my 200 gr. load at about 180 yards. The bullet penetrated through both sides of the caribou's rig cage and exited out the far side. The caribou died within a few seconds. Internal damage to the caribou was a bit less, probably because of lower velocity at long range. For a 30-06 at longer range I think a 220 gr Partition might be a bit too tough. Impact velocity will be relatively low and the bullet might not expand fully. I'd stick with a 200 gr or even a 180 grain bullet.

Just my thoughts but you've shot a lot more animals then I have so take it with a grain of salt. Below is the caribou taken with the 200 gr Partition to give you an idea of the size. You can see the exit wound on the right, not particularly large.

View attachment 371198

This hunt was a special one by the way, that boy is an Alaskan Native friend of mine. This caribou was the end of a year long quest to get him his first kill.

For what its worth I also shot a similar sized caribou with a 180 gr SST out of the same 308. I could not see much difference between the two bullets. Both penetrated and blew a big hole in the lungs. If anything the softer SST might have been a bit better.
@Alaska Luke
Thank you very much for your excellent advice . The 200 grain Nosler Partition does indeed seem like a viable alternative.

Prof.,
the loading of such a heavy projectile only brings disadvantages in the sense of an external ballistic or target ballistic performance for mountain hunting.
A heavy bullet in this -not exactly fast calibre- its strength only plays out at a short distance .
80 m is the end.
Beyond that distance there is nothing, but nothing that a 180 gr bullet cannot do better.
Each calibre has its ideal ballistic parameters, so I would stick to 180g in any case for an ibex.
Regards
Foxi
@Foxi Thank you very much . I wholeheartedly admit that the 180 grain loads in the .30-06 Springfield may be a perfectly reasonable choice . However , I am an old soul and I prefer the original 220 grain factory load ( if procurable ) . As a young man growing up in the 1970s , our generation always considered the 220 grain offering to be THE .30-06 Springfield factory load . I suppose that this sensibility ( for me ) has not eroded over time , since the last 48 years .

I will make one point , however . At the ranges where I hunt my Ibex , the reach of the 220 grain bullet in the .30-06 Springfield has proven to be absolutely no disadvantage . I understand that the 180 grain bullet offers about an extra 100 metres or so , of range . However , I believe that I have not had any problems with the 220 grain bullets so far ; because I like to stalk my game to ranges which are a little closer than most gentlemen . Generally speaking , I am a massive admirer of the heavy - for - calibre bullets .

Sako hammerhead bullets in 220 grain. I like the 220 grain as well and these are what we get here in that weight

@spike.t
Thank you very much for bringing these excellent bullets to my attention . I also understand that PMP in South Africa offers a 220 grain soft nosed factory load for the .30-06 Springfield.

@Foxi Thank you very much . I wholeheartedly admit that the 180 grain loads in the .30-06 Springfield may be a perfectly reasonable choice . However , I am an old soul and I prefer the original 220 grain factory load ( if procurable ) . As a young man growing up in the 1970s , our generation always considered the 220 grain offering to be THE .30-06 Springfield factory load . I suppose that this sensibility ( for me ) has not eroded over time , since the last 48 years .

I will make one point , however . At the ranges where I hunt my Ibex , the reach of the 220 grain bullet in the .30-06 Springfield has proven to be absolutely no disadvantage . I understand that the 180 grain bullet offers about an extra 100 metres or so , of range . However , I believe that I have not had any problems with the 220 grain bullets so far ; because I like to stalk my game to ranges which are a little closer than most gentlemen . Generally speaking , I am a massive admirer of the heavy - for - calibre bullets .
Oh,it all works when you practice and you are an experienced hunter.
At home, where I can go into the woods every day, I also try out things that are suboptimal and I still succeed (and have a dog on my side).
I like to optimise myself for -mostly- expensive hunts abroad.
Only my thoughts on your initial question,not more.
Regards
Foxi

p.s.in which subject area do you teach ?

1602235003102.png

1602235100585.png

Last edited:
Professor.
The Remington .220gn Corelokt is THE load i shoot in my '06 7600 pump gun featured in another thread.
Even here in Aus they are extremely difficult, and expensive, to find as i am not sure that they produce them (or at least import them to Aus) any longer which is a terrible shame.
This particular load seems to elevate the '06 in to another class of weapon altogether.

For my specific use, where i am hunting a medium/large deer species, Sambar, in thick forested country over an indicating dog, where shot ranges are seldom in excess of 100-150yds i find the .220's give me all the penetration AND terminal damage required to dump the deer close to where they are shot.
Follow ups have tended to be short and minimal.

I have about ten packets remaining in my posession, which when combined with the use of other rifles, i hope will see out my deer hunting career, if not, like you i will be at a loss to replace them as i absolutely LOVE this particular load.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
Good health and good hunting, that's all we need

Oh,it all works when you practice and you are an experienced hunter.
At home, where I can go into the woods every day, I also try out things that are suboptimal and I still succeed (and have a dog on my side).
I like to optimise myself for -mostly- expensive hunts abroad.
Only my thoughts on your initial question,not more.
Regards
Foxi

p.s.in which subject area do you teach ?

View attachment 371240

View attachment 371241
@Foxi
I teach environmental management at Murari Chand College . I graduated from there in 1972 and secured a teaching position there , in 1982 .

I have used Barnes TTSX on my last 3 trips to Africa and 2 moose hunts in Newfoundland, taking a total of 16 animals, most taken with .30 cal 180 gr TTSX and almost all were 1 shot kills. They are very accurate, penetrate deeply and retain almost 100% of their weight. You can get 30-06 Barnes TTSX from Barnes and from Choiceammunition.com Happy hunting. Ed

Professor, I agree with Bruce Moulds re IMR 3031 for use in a 30-06. I did a QuickLoad simulation using it. At comparable pressures the 3031 load produces 100 FPS less velocity. Its' case loading was 84% which is much lower than preferred. I've used Win. 760 for my 30-06(s) for close to 40 years and am very satisfied with it.

Professor, I agree with Bruce Moulds re IMR 3031 for use in a 30-06. I did a QuickLoad simulation using it. At comparable pressures the 3031 load produces 100 FPS less velocity. Its' case loading was 84% which is much lower than preferred. I've used Win. 760 for my 30-06(s) for close to 40 years and am very satisfied with it.
@Shootist43
That is perfectly acceptable with me . I can also use Win760 or Accurate 2230 for hand loading my .30-06 Springfield rounds , as you so wisely advocate .

Years ago, the 30-06 shooting 220g Core-Lokts was considered serious brown bear medicine in Alaska

Professor, I'm not too sure that we are on the same page yet. IMR 3031 is not a good powder to use in any 30-06 load. Of the powders you have available Win. 760 is your best option for that caliber.
@Shootist43
I sincerely apologize for any miscommunication on my part . What I meant to say is this : I will NOT be using IMR3031 gunpowder to hand load any .30-06 Springfield rounds ( even though I prefer this gunpowder for hand loading my .458 Winchester Magnum rounds ) . Should I be hand loading any .30-06 Springfield rounds , then I WILL BE following your advice and using a more suitable gunpowder such as Win760 or Accurate2230 . Even though my preferred gunpowder is always IMR3031 when hand loading rounds for the .458 Winchester Magnum , it is perfectly acceptable for me to use Win760 when hand loading rounds for the .30-06 Springfield .

one thing about 760 is the fact that you can get very uniform charges using only a powder thrower.
of course you need to clearly establish the weight of said charges with a scale first.
760 is much more temp sensitive than h4350, and creates harder to remove fouling.
bruce.

Hi, Woodleigh makes a 220g soft point in .308 caliber. As much as I like the Core-Lokts, the Woodleigh is a far superior bullet. MidwayUSA has them in stock.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.36.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.36.01 AM.png
    740.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.36.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.36.03 AM.png
    871 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.36.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.36.05 AM.png
    689.7 KB · Views: 110

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg