Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
Can anyone tell me what mounting bases these are ? Thank you
5A83D023-60BD-418C-8ECB-C1885513F34A.jpeg
66C19863-82A9-48E0-B27D-C1303D744DA0.jpeg

Talley. If you e-m them a pic (w/ the gun details,) they can confirm exact specs. Excellent quality-can't tell if it's a low (0.3") or med (0.4") off the receiver. Can see it's a large ring M98 by the diff in base heights (in which case the rear may be much higher.) Good stuff! Not many have a (scope ring) recoil lug incorporated! ;) From the numbers alone, you will be able to figure it out in Talley's on-line catalog (I've seen numbers imprinted/inscribed below the bases/rings when the screwholes prevent seeing same.) Good luck!

Talley. If you e-m them a pic (w/ the gun details,) they can confirm exact specs. Excellent quality-can't tell if it's a low (0.3") or med (0.4") off the receiver. Can see it's a large ring M98 by the diff in base heights (in which case the rear may be much higher.) Good stuff! Not many have a (scope ring) recoil lug incorporated! ;) From the numbers alone, you will be able to figure it out in Talley's on-line catalog (I've seen numbers imprinted/inscribed below the bases/rings when the screwholes prevent seeing same.) Good luck!
Ok gotcha - thank you for your input sir

Talley. If you e-m them a pic (w/ the gun details,) they can confirm exact specs. Excellent quality-can't tell if it's a low (0.3") or med (0.4") off the receiver. Can see it's a large ring M98 by the diff in base heights (in which case the rear may be much higher.) Good stuff! Not many have a (scope ring) recoil lug incorporated! ;) From the numbers alone, you will be able to figure it out in Talley's on-line catalog (I've seen numbers imprinted/inscribed below the bases/rings when the screwholes prevent seeing same.) Good luck
Talley most likely
thank you Mark

Let me know what rings you need-i might have them (as all T rings fit all T bases.) Most are on guns, but I have a few leftovers...

Those are indeed Talleys. And it looks like someone has altered the rear base to accommodate their slide-on peep as they have filed off the rear shoulder and made cuts on the right side for the tightening screw. the bases are all the same height - the rings are where height adjustments are made with these model talleys.

I think what you mean is the bases are the same elevation, not the same height (thickness). They have different height bases and rings. They have to, as the large ring Mauser's receiver elevation is different from front-to-rear, for example. Many receivers slope, so the base thickness typically varies to accomodate (and thus you use the same height rings.) 'Just clarifying for the gun owner...It's why they sell the same height rings in sets. ;) I have zero guns with varying height ring sets, excepting Ruger/CZ-type integrated (1-piece) ring-base sets, which must be, for the aforementioned receiver dimension reasons. The different height rings are to accommodate different scope objective lens diameters.

Last edited:
I think what you mean is the bases are the same elevation, not the same height (thickness). They have different height bases and rings. They have to, as the large ring Mauser's receiver elevation is different from front-to-rear, for example. Many receivers slope, so the base thickness typically varies to accomodate (and thus you use the same height rings.) 'Just clarifying for the gun owner...

Yes - that's what i mean. I just didn't want the OP pulling his hair out looking for different height Talley Mauser bases like this - he ain't gonna find them...

Yes - that's what i mean. I just didn't want the OP pulling his hair out looking for different height Talley Mauser bases like this - he ain't gonna find them...
Unless a super custom gun, they too come in (appropriately-sized) sets. Cannot go wrong.

Yes-they sell blanks for custom or off-spec guns and then, it's up to you to select the correct height bases and/or rings!

And these? Not to hijack this thread, but these came on this rifle and I’ve been meaning to ask here. Thanks!

0C670B2B-B1E7-4B3C-9F6A-42DE86E6C487.jpeg
4C8F92B0-EE7E-4634-8951-67CB14D85DE3.jpeg
008D17A7-2477-4AB5-AFD7-DDC896A3ECCA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
And these? Not to hijack this thread, but these came on this rifle and I’ve been meaning to ask here. Thanks!
They look like Talley. Maybe a Gen. 1? What caliber is that Interarms? Nice! My 1st "real" centerfire as a kid, traded for work done on a '57 Chevy panel delivery wagon hot rod for a neighbor (lol 30 yrs later.) Have had 3: All shooters. The base/ring maker up in Alaska makes some very similar, great products!!

They look like Talley. Maybe a Gen. 1? What caliber is that Interarms? Nice! My 1st "real" centerfire as a kid, traded for work done on a '57 Chevy panel delivery wagon hot rod for a neighbor (lol 30 yrs later.) Have had 3: All shooters. The base/ring maker up in Alaska makes some very similar, great products!!
It’s a custom .416 Taylor. I have a .375 also. I really like them and they are great shooters. I need to get scopes/red dot on them though as my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

Let me know what rings you need-i might have them (as all T rings fit all T bases.) Most are on guns, but I have a few leftovers...
Thank you for that offer. I am wanting to put a set of EAW or Recknagel quick release mounts on this rifle. I will in all likelihood not use these - oh, it came with a peep sight also. I took that off just for the photos.

yes-talley has a peep that goes in place of the rear ring (if using the Q/D rings-can put on in seconds. If not using the QD levers, a few more seconds lol) have seen the EAW at NECG in NH and plenty of fancy double guns. Good stuff!

Those look an awful lot like early Kimber bases for the 89. If that's the case, I believe they are a different width than Talleys. They will be 11mm or .460. Talley does make rings for them.

A guy in CA has some really nice QD setups and open sights for safari guns....Hmmm Breeding?-Smithson! He wanted $1,800 after our first convo, but I'm sure it was well worth it! Both great gunsmiths!!!

Thank you for that offer. I am wanting to put a set of EAW or Recknagel quick release mounts on this rifle. I will in all likelihood not use these - oh, it came with a peep sight also. I took that off just for the photos.

If that Talley peep is unaltered and you are looking to unload it - I may i know a guy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois