Please critique my packing list

I am in Africa now midway 2 week adventure and I way over packed most of the stuff on your list is not needed. binos, gun and ammo and some clothes minimal as they wash the stuff, a good hat for the sun, gaiters not needed wear long pants, sun screen a fleece and that all I use every day. don't need range finder PH calls the distance and the animal and I smoke em, so far 15 animals down! will file a full report when I get back with pics of 58 7/8 kudu, 30 water buck, 40 gemsbuck many monsters on the ground. they supply bottled water and beer and I haven't use 1/2 of the stuff I brought so think about lightening the list, gun cleaning stuff a waste, range finder a waste let ph call it and hold over if needed, shot distance is all over the place so be ready for 30yds to 350 yds. Africa is awesomee! practice practice and more practice shooting is the KEY!!!!! off hand, sticks everything
Thanks for taking the time to check in while on safari!
Too funny about packing too much stuff - makes you normal.
Congratulations on the huge Kudu. Sounds like your trigger finger is getting a real workout - nice. I look forward to seeing all your pics.

A pair of folding pruning shears I thought would be of use.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ok, I checked the date, I'm late for the party.
I never bring a seperate alarm clock. Somebody always knocks on your door.
I agree with others, way to much clothes.
With meds, they are a most welcome gift. Iodine and Neosporin are wonderful. I'm sure you know that secondary infections of a wound is what puts most people down.
** I always bring a satellite phone (iridium) with me. They're cheap enough to rent and touching base with family really puts them at ease.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I've started to consolidate all of our stuff for this summer, but haven't broken it down into individual bags yet.

Here's a couple of items I picked up that might be of use:

-Voltage Adapter (for things that can't handle 220v like electric tooth brushes, some camera battery chargers, etc. You may still need to buy a plug adapter for whichever country you're headed to- I had to get a South African adapter to go along with this) http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Portab...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
- USB Charging Station (charge up to 6 USB devices) http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Char...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01
-Portable Charger (to keep ipads and ipods charged on long flights) http://www.amazon.com/Portable-RAVP...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01
-SD Card Holder (conveniently stores all my SD and micro SD cards in one place) http://www.amazon.com/DiMeCard-SD-m...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
-Wireless Hard-drive (this thing is awesome- I can download all my pictures videos via the SD card reader without bringing a big, clunky laptop along) http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wire...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

(You can tell where I do most of my shopping...)
Good point on AC adapters. There are some really cool ones that are multi country with USB’s in them now (electronics store in most airports)but you still need to go into the big African plug as well. Plan on buying the big African adapter in the airport.
Great discussion!
Philip

Thanks a lot for the detailed advice, Velo Dog; and I really enjoyed our pizza and beers the other day.

I've never used a range-finder on a game animal--never thought I had time; but then I'm not a long-range shooter. I like to carry the rangefinder to check my own guess of distance. I'll judge a tree or rock at, say, 150 yards, then shoot the tree or rock with the rangefinder. I find this helps improve my own judgment of range, and I expect the country to look different on the Eastern Cape and in Zambia than what I'm used to. But maybe I'll leave it behind if space is tight.

Yes, I was going to wear one pair of boots, just to make it through the airports. I have a bone spur on my right foot that requires me to wear moderately-heavy hiking/backpacking boots. I know they won't be quiet, but without that kind of boot I can't walk far at all.

Neither of the rifles I'll be taking have open sights. And the two scopes aren't interchangeable (one-inch and 30mm). One rifle is a .300 WM, for the eastern Cape, and the other a .416 with which I hope to shoot a buffalo. So the two rifles aren't really interchangeable either. Both rifles wear new scopes, which haven't been used enough to reveal any defects. That's why I include a spare scope and rings.

I had to submit a copy of the SAR outfitter's invitation letter with the SAPS permit application. Do I need to show an additional copy too? The Zambian guy says he'll get the permit and issue an invitation letter. I will carry copies of both with me.

I feel sort of obligated to take the Camelback. Our son gave it to me for Christmas for use on this trip.

Both outfitters mentioned camo clothing (along with dark olive, etc), so I assume it will be okay.

I read in a couple of books you should take a pair of gaiters to keep ticks and seeds out of your boots. I ordered a couple pairs of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/112445/boyt-shumba-safari-gaiters-canvas-khaki

You have some great ideas I haven't thought of. Thanks again.
I have those gaiters as well. They are good but I also have leather ones. I only wear them with shorts
Philip

Each time my bags get smaller

If one rented rifles and depending on the climate, one could do a ten day hunt with a carry-on bag that goes in the overhead and a backpack.

Two pairs of well broke in hunting boots/shoes. depending on the terrain a pair of courtney selous or similar for bushveld terrain and a pair of more rigid bots if you're in mountainous rocky terrain. And if they're doing laundry every day, two loincloths, just in case you go full tribal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross