Planning and daydreaming about a second hunt

308Win

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've been doing some daydreaming about another hunt, after an absolutely wonderful hunt with Katzke Safaris (near Douglas, ZAF, report here) last April, and, well, what are hobby forums for if not for public navel gazing? I'm a ways out from the next hunt, so that means I have plenty of time to daydream/plan and ask for advice from folks who actually know what they're talking about.

So anyway, here starts the navel gazing...
Last April, I hunted for plains game, with waterbuck at the top of my list. I ended up with a beautiful waterbuck, a gemsbok, a zebra, an impala, common blesbok, springbok, my wife got a springbok (her first shot taken at game), and my "warthog" was a white blesbok. (Too early/wet for the warthogs to be moving much.)

Logistics considerations:
I'm likely to be in Bloemfontein, South Africa, for several of the next few years, possibly each year from 2020-2023. I'll be there in late march/early April to shoot the target rifle and f-class national championships (SABU) and the world championships (F-class in 2021 and target rifle in 2023). Also, my folks, want to take my kids on safari at some point, so my hunt (or one of my hunts... :D) could end up being a family trip. Doing the hunt as part of the match trip would save a flight and the travel days, but I could probably make it work separately. Also, I'd be bringing a fair bit of shooting gear for the matches, so that would limit what I could bring for hunting gear. (I'd be hard pressed to bring a rifle, much less two.)

Since I did a plains game hunt, I think a buffalo hunt with some plains game as well would be the ticket. Elephant would be awesome, but I doubt I could swing the cost for an exportable one. Also, my first hunt was on a game ranch (never felt penned in, and it was far from a gimme, especially the waterbuck), so I'd lean toward a more open location.

So... here's more or less the things I've got in my head:
Buffalo + plains game. (Or, if I could hunt something particularly interesting to me like several of the kobus genus... waterbuck, lechwe, etc., just plains game would be an option)
Open/big hunting grounds
Bring my non-hunting, but not-bothered-with-hunting parents, my occasionally-hunting wife, and my kids (the older of which will probably be ready to hunt too, the younger *might* be, but probably not.) They'd have a great time on a photo safari or something else, and might come along on the hunt some of the time.

And now, if you've hung on long enough, here's where I ask for your advice. What should I look for? (locations, etc.) Any advice on finding a good deal on something? (Waiting for a cancellation hunt probably isn't an option for the big family trip, since there are too many schedules to synchronize. But it might work for making two trips, one with family, one more flexible one that's solo or just my wife and I.) Is a more open/wild hunt feasible with the family consideration? What other advice do you have that I don't even know enough to ask for? :whistle:

And by the way... I'm posting this looking for suggestions to guide my daydreaming and advance planning, not to try to solicit offers. That said, I certainly won't be offended by such things, but that's not the point of this, and it'd be *way* too early for me to do anything about it any time soon.

308 Win, after reading you post about the South African National Championships I was wondering if maybe we have a mutual friend / acquaintance. The guy I'm referring to is Bill Hammer. I know that he has participated in a number (I think 15) of those matches. I know Bill as a "pistol shooter," but I'm also aware of his long range rifle shooting accomplishments.

Shootout,

I don't believe I've met Bill, but I've heard the name.

Dagnabbit, I can't find how to edit my last post. Sorry about that **Shootist**. I blame auto-correct on my phone.

And by the way... I'm posting this looking for suggestions to guide my daydreaming and advance planning, not to try to solicit offers. That said, I certainly won't be offended by such things, but that's not the point of this, and it'd be *way* too early for me to do anything about it any time soon.

You may not be soliciting offers, but your are assuredly going to be entertaining some by your post...;)

There are many reputable outfitters here that can meet your expectations. I hope you select one that is a sponsor of AH.com. I won't impose a solicitation on you other than to humbly ask that you take a look at the abundance of media we have posted here on the forums. I invite you to check out our client hunting reports and watch a few of our many promotional and client safari videos. If you think you may be interested in what we can offer you, then please contact us anytime. We specialize in accommodating couples & family groups on safari, and I am sure we can put together a wonderful adventure that has a bit of everything that you are looking for. Enjoy your planning and research!

Day dreaming often turns into reality.

Limcroma, yeah, I figured it was inevitable. :) (And, like I said, I don't mind at all.)

What I'm hoping to get out of the post is something along the lines of, "have you considered X?" where X is something I definitely hadn't considered and didn't know enough to ask. ("I never considered hiring my own private army to provide security for a hunt in Libya! It's a practical option you say?")

Or, more realistically, a way to square the circle of competing priorities: finite budget, a "wild" hunt, and non or not-only hunting family members in a way I hadn't considered. (Such as countries, regions, or outfitters who might address the options differently.) And, to some extent, all of my wishes on this are somewhat flexible. "Wild" might be relaxed to "well, I didn't see the fences, much." Or, "well, the taxidermy didn't *have* to be included in the budget" etc. Or, "well, my hunt doesn't have to be part of the same trip as the family one."

Last edited:
Are you dead set on taking home trophies?

Last edited:
Are you dead set on taking home trophies?

Dead set? No. But I do enjoy walking past my waterbuck (and the others, too) every day. So the default is to keep the trophies. However, I doubt I could swing an exportable elephant, but I'd still love to hunt one, even if I can't bring home a trophy.

But you've got me curious. What are you thinking of?

An own-use buffalo and elephant hunt in the Caprivi in Namibia. Great deal if you don't want anything from the animal and aren't all that concerned with size.

Go for the buff on the next hunt for sure!

Be carefull what you wish for !
It might come true .
:D Beer Bottle::A Way To Go:

Go for the buff on the next hunt for sure!

That was what my wife suggested, since a lechwe or kudu wouldn't be that different from the hunt we did last year, and what I'm leaning toward. But, given the extra considerations of bringing family, I won't rule out doing a smaller plains game hunt, and then a buffalo hunt on my own later.

That was what my wife suggested, since a lechwe or kudu wouldn't be that different from the hunt we did last year, and what I'm leaning toward. But, given the extra considerations of bringing family, I won't rule out doing a smaller plains game hunt, and then a buffalo hunt on my own later.

Why not a buffalo hunt with plainsgame as opportunities present themselves? With 40+ species of plainsgame to hunt in the Limpopo, you will definitely have options. You can also bring the family and include a few non-hunting excursions before, during, or after the hunt. If you are intrigued by this option, give us a shout. Here' is a link to the video of a family that hunted with us last year that planned something very similar....

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ht-critters-more-with-limcroma-safaris.39762/

Why not a buffalo hunt with plainsgame as opportunities present themselves? With 40+ species of plainsgame to hunt in the Limpopo, you will definitely have options. You can also bring the family and include a few non-hunting excursions before, during, or after the hunt. If you are intrigued by this option, give us a shout. Here' is a link to the video of a family that hunted with us last year that planned something very similar....

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ht-critters-more-with-limcroma-safaris.39762/

You can't go wrong with Hannes and Limcroma. These guys will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

A lot of things have transpired since you made your first post in this thread. If you are still interested in a elephant exportable or non exportable let me know. One of the areas that we can offer at a great price is Matetsi #2 the same area that Katzke was the agent for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.