Planing a hunt in Africa

Hagar

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am new to AF but not new to hunting. I am retired now so I decided it would be a good time to go to Africa with my two sons. We are looking at May of 2011. We have been doing a lot of research but can't decide between South Africa or Namibia. Any feedback on Osombahe-Nord of Namibia or Hartzview Hunting Safaris out of South Africia would be appreciated.

Hagar ~ welcome to AH.com. Glad to hear you are planning to take your sons as this will be quite an experience to share. I don't know either of the operations that you mention so I can't help you with that but I have been to both countries and either one is great for a first time safari. Just do your research and feel free to ask questions, check references, etc. If you have any airfare questions now or after you get it narrowed down then don't hesitate to contact me.

Hagar I too am going in may of 2011 and this site has been priceless , lots of tips and helpfull people , I will be working with Lori on my flights and other people with the hunt . But be warned , You will get hooked quickly LOL

Welcome to AH Hagar! As Lori said both countries are great for a first time safari. Choose your destination based on the hunting outfitter if you can't decide between both countries.

Booked through Jack Atcheson and hunted with Nick Nolte out of Omaruru in 2008 with my son. Nick and Isabelle run a fantastic operation with an extremely comfortable camp and loads of game. One of the really neat game animals are the Hartman Mountain Zebra which you can hunt in their native hills (a very challenging day afield). You will hunt huge, low fence cattle stations teaming with kudu, gemsbok, hartebeast, warthog, steinbok, duiker, and leopard. Had I been given a piece of paper to sketch out the ten days of hunting, I wouldn't have done as well as it actually occured. I could not recomend them more highly.

Welcome Hagar

Good to have you on board!

Cheers Louis

Hagar, welcome to AH. South Africa a MUST be for first 'TIMERS'...

Hi Hagar,

Welocome to the forum ! You would enjoy being here. What game is on your hunt list ?? Contact Jacques Spamer of Hartzview Safaris at RSA, he shall conduct a fine safari for you .

Monish

Monish,
Thanks for the reply. Hartzview is one on our list. Have you hunted with them? We all have about the same thing on our lists Kudu-Gemsbuck-Hartebeest-Wildebeest-Impala-Springbuck-Zebra.

Hi Hagar,

I have never hunted with them but plan this year , have been intracting with Jacques.
Spiral Horn Safaris , too you can opt for, they have exquisite hunting area, Iam there this July for plains game with Louis, if you are keen to take a giraffe just go to his place .
Plan your hunt well ,and may you bag fine trophy heads.

Happy Hunting !!!!

Monish

Hi Hagar,

Welcome to Africa hunting. Both R.S.A and Namibia offer exceptional good hunting areas. Just do your homework well on the outfitter you wish to hunt with. Louis would not be a bad choice.

Here are a few pictures of some of the animals on your list and Nyala hunted this year with us.

Attachments

• Kemp Jag 004.jpg
    Kemp Jag 004.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Alberto Brazil 012.JPG
    Alberto Brazil 012.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 99
  • Kemp Jag 003.jpg
    Kemp Jag 003.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 90
  • William,Hans and Cristopher 009.JPG
    William,Hans and Cristopher 009.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Rodrigo Hippo 209.JPG
    Rodrigo Hippo 209.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 77
  • William,Hans and Cristopher 004.JPG
    William,Hans and Cristopher 004.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 92
  • William,Hans and Cristopher 003.JPG
    William,Hans and Cristopher 003.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 80
I would say it depends what species you would like to hunt. South Africa offers some species, typically found on the high rainfall east coast like e.g. Nyala which you don't find in Namibia. Namibia on the other hand is home to the gemsbok where you will find good trophies. Also, the hunting areas in Namibia tend to be larger than in South Africa. But both countries offer good accommodation and facilities.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg