Planing a hunt in Africa

Hagar

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am new to AF but not new to hunting. I am retired now so I decided it would be a good time to go to Africa with my two sons. We are looking at May of 2011. We have been doing a lot of research but can't decide between South Africa or Namibia. Any feedback on Osombahe-Nord of Namibia or Hartzview Hunting Safaris out of South Africia would be appreciated.

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
Hagar ~ welcome to AH.com. Glad to hear you are planning to take your sons as this will be quite an experience to share. I don't know either of the operations that you mention so I can't help you with that but I have been to both countries and either one is great for a first time safari. Just do your research and feel free to ask questions, check references, etc. If you have any airfare questions now or after you get it narrowed down then don't hesitate to contact me.

milford

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
fish and game Sci DU
Hunted
USA Canada south africa
Hagar I too am going in may of 2011 and this site has been priceless , lots of tips and helpfull people , I will be working with Lori on my flights and other people with the hunt . But be warned , You will get hooked quickly LOL

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Welcome to AH Hagar! As Lori said both countries are great for a first time safari. Choose your destination based on the hunting outfitter if you can't decide between both countries.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Booked through Jack Atcheson and hunted with Nick Nolte out of Omaruru in 2008 with my son. Nick and Isabelle run a fantastic operation with an extremely comfortable camp and loads of game. One of the really neat game animals are the Hartman Mountain Zebra which you can hunt in their native hills (a very challenging day afield). You will hunt huge, low fence cattle stations teaming with kudu, gemsbok, hartebeast, warthog, steinbok, duiker, and leopard. Had I been given a piece of paper to sketch out the ten days of hunting, I wouldn't have done as well as it actually occured. I could not recomend them more highly.

LouisB

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI and PHASA
Hunted
South Africa and Zambia
Welcome Hagar

Good to have you on board!

Cheers Louis

Patrick R

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Hagar, welcome to AH. South Africa a MUST be for first 'TIMERS'...

monish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Hi Hagar,

Welocome to the forum ! You would enjoy being here. What game is on your hunt list ?? Contact Jacques Spamer of Hartzview Safaris at RSA, he shall conduct a fine safari for you .

Monish

Hagar

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Monish,
Thanks for the reply. Hartzview is one on our list. Have you hunted with them? We all have about the same thing on our lists Kudu-Gemsbuck-Hartebeest-Wildebeest-Impala-Springbuck-Zebra.

monish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Hi Hagar,

I have never hunted with them but plan this year , have been intracting with Jacques.
Spiral Horn Safaris , too you can opt for, they have exquisite hunting area, Iam there this July for plains game with Louis, if you are keen to take a giraffe just go to his place .
Plan your hunt well ,and may you bag fine trophy heads.

Happy Hunting !!!!

Monish

NUys

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hi Hagar,

Welcome to Africa hunting. Both R.S.A and Namibia offer exceptional good hunting areas. Just do your homework well on the outfitter you wish to hunt with. Louis would not be a bad choice.

Here are a few pictures of some of the animals on your list and Nyala hunted this year with us.

Attachments

dwerner

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I would say it depends what species you would like to hunt. South Africa offers some species, typically found on the high rainfall east coast like e.g. Nyala which you don't find in Namibia. Namibia on the other hand is home to the gemsbok where you will find good trophies. Also, the hunting areas in Namibia tend to be larger than in South Africa. But both countries offer good accommodation and facilities.

Good luck

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.