AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
to all,

i recently bought a chapuis 375 h & h rifle, it will need swing off scope mounts/rings.

any recommendations on the best, most repeatable and secure brand or style? i am at a bit of a loss as to how the actually lock up on the rear end.

any suggestions? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot (195).png
    Screenshot (195).png
    412.4 KB · Views: 359
@BeeMaa,

thanks, finally got an answer. i ended up going to NE custom guns got their quick lock swing mounts. you are right, about $500. i research a while, they were a touch more than some other swing mounts, figured it was worth it after hearing some reviews on you tube.

Glad it worked out.
I found some other mounts made in Germany, but couldn't find a supplier in the US.
Had to do a Google search for "pivot scope mount", looked at pictures, and went from there.
What did we do before Google and blogs?

Did your Chapuis come with factory bases? My Sagittaire came with Recknagel bases factory installed for their swing mounting system. Are you sure the NECG rings will fit? JJ Perodeau has access to the Recknagel product and installed a set on my rifle. http://jjperodeau.com/

After taking a look at Chapuis Armes, I'm intrigued.
Is your 375 an O/U or SxS?
Love to see a picture.

EAW mounts are a very fine German made detachable mounting system. I have them on a 318 Westley Richards. I have two different sets of rings and scopes for the rifleand in the 10 plus years using this setup I have never had an issue keeping zero. The scope and mounts were installed by JJ Perodeau and his work is excellent.

DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0102.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0098.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 294
  • DSC_0099.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0100.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 266
  • DSC_0101.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 316
  • DSC_0102.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 273
Last edited by a moderator:
EAW mounts are a very fine German made detachable mounting system. I have them on a 318 Westley Richards. I have two different sets of rings and scopes for the rifleand in the 10 plus years using this setup I have never had an issue keeping zero. The scope and mounts were installed by JJ Perodeau and his work is excellent.
That is a big plus of having detachable scope, the ability to have multiple optics.
300 yards...use 3-18x50.
100-200 yards...1-6x24
<100 or DG on the menu...open sights or maybe a reflex/red dot.

My problem is the cost of these particular mounts.
They are VERY nice and WAY out of my league when it comes to price, especially when it comes to buying multiple sets.
Then again, I don't have the $$ for the double gun to mount them on either.
Problem solved.

i have an o/u rifle. the wood is amazing, it called to me, so i had to buy it!!!;)

the rifle has two fillers in the rib. two screws for each filler. the EAW mount will come with bases and rings. i simply called NE custom guns, told him the rifle i had, and the scope i was going to mount on the rifle. he checked out the correct base and rings and put them on order.

i will try to attach a photo at some point here.

@Red Leg
my rifle was an auction rifle, so it came with a case and the gun. i felt i got a decent deal on it. no bases, they will come with the EAW rings that are on order. look just like the photos posted above by john flaws.

like i said before, i think the wood is pretty awesome and i HAD to try to buy it!!

I do not know of a finer set of swivel mts. BUT they are a little complicated for SOME applications. I would recommend NECG do the installation there are many different block heights for scope front rear alignment. That said I am just about to walk out and put a set on a CZ 550 a very easy installation. Just depends!

Bumping this thread: do you all think pivot mounts are something that could be installed without gunsmithing? I'm considering a Rusan pivot mount and would rather not have to deal with going to a gunsmith when they're rather backed up currently.

Bumping this thread: do you all think pivot mounts are something that could be installed without gunsmithing? I'm considering a Rusan pivot mount and would rather not have to deal with going to a gunsmith when they're rather backed up currently.

I was just going to ask the same thing...

I tried installing Apel EAW mounts on my highland stalker. It would have worked out fine except that the front base had to be re-radiused to avoid binding the pivot. That took it out of my shop and off to NECG.

Maybe @1dirthawker will get back to us on how his installation went.

First, I can suggest to take Rusan pivot mounts with 6 screws on front ring, steel. (see photo attached)

For using the gunsmith, or not, I would say: it depends of the rifle and your own skills, but I strongly suggest using a competent gunsmith for this.

In my case gunsmiths was a MUST.
In my case, basis of Rusan mounts were covering iron sights.
So, gunsmith had to raise the rear sight by installing a doubler plate below, and install new higher front sight.

In order to install rusan pivot mounts:
Holes for screws for basis were drilled and rethreaded for larger diameter screws for better and more secure connection, considering the magnum caliber with some recoil.

I am not exactly a totally inexperineced and on all my rifles, I have installed the mounts and scopes by myself, but in this case, I went to gunsmith for that.

German pivot mounts Rusan.jpg
zkk 602 & swaro 1.7-10x42.jpg
1 Rear sight.jpg
2 front sight.jpg
3 swing mount base close up.jpg
3 swing mount bases.jpg
4 rear sight over the scope bases.jpg
5 scope being installed half way.jpg
6 scope installed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have installed 3 or 4 sets of EAW bases and rings it takes a little time. You just have to be sure that you have all of the correct pieces. If I lived in the USA I would probably have NECG do the job. Since I do not having the correct parts is critical. I consider them the best mounts that I have ever used.

I have a 80s era Model 70 Win takedown 2 barrel set .300 Win Mag & .375 H&H with two different Swarovski scopes periodically I change barrels and scopes, results always within 1 MOA! What more can I say?

I have mounted pivot mounts on a couple rifles by myself without special training or help. I purchased everything needed at Optics Trade in Slovenia. It is not particularly complicated to do, but there is a bewildering variety of choices in the Recknagel / EAW products available. I found Optics trade has a good website and knowledgeable staff, and the one time I screwed up and bought the wrong parts they exchanged for the correct ones whithout problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross