Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
with a bunch of hunters talking about pictures verses having mounts done the question comes up. I have read that if a animal is not mounted in any way SA govt will access a VAT tax and this could be a big bunch of money at 15% so just what happens if you leave your animals in SA? thanks Jim

Would it potentially be cheaper to pay for a European mount and donate it to your PH?

with a bunch of hunters talking about pictures verses having mounts done the question comes up. I have read that if a animal is not mounted in any way SA govt will access a VAT tax and this could be a big bunch of money at 15% so just what happens if you leave your animals in SA? thanks Jim
For one our prices include VAT in SA in MOZ we do charge a 17% VAT tax on trophies wounded and not exported.
My best,
Jaco

I think some hunting packages include the VAT. I remember reading somewhere that it didn’t have to be the entire trophy to avoid the VAT, which is obvious since most do only shoulder or Euro Mounts.
Would exporting just parts of the animal like the tails or maybe teeth count, to avoid the VAT.

I understand paying the VAT on killed or wounded game but what is the reason behind the VAT charged on non-exported trophies? I've seen it expressed on several outfitter sites and just curious the purpose.

Isn't the VAT or Value Added Tax refundable if you export whatever items within a certain time period? Thus if you export your trophies in a timely manner (that alone can often be an exercise in futility) you can get the tax back.

If I remember correctly, on my first trip the Outfitter explained this. But then the taxidermist screwed around forever, lost a skin or the tannery did, and screwed up and had to redo things to the point the18 months or whatever that time was expired.

I also remember buying some curios and going to a place, in the airport I think, to get the VAT back. I remember being frustrated over it. Like they did the math wrong or something and refused correction. Of course that was back in the day when corrupt practices ruled the day so perhaps it works better now. Hahaha

So yes the OP may be onto something in literal terms. Making it work in a practical sense may be another thing. Depending again on the country.

africa-hunting.jpg
Value Added Tax (VAT) Refunds

When shopping in most African countries and in Europe you must pay a tax, known as Value Added Tax (VAT), on most goods which is much like sales tax in the United States. The difference is that the VAT is already included in the sales price and the rate of VAT varies from one country to another. The VAT typically accounts for 10% to 20% of the purchase price of merchandise.

Foreign visitors can apply for VAT refunds, depending upon the specific rules of the country. Foreigners may be entitled to get back all or a portion of the VAT paid, in the form of a refund, on merchandise that is exported from the country being visited, however a refund may not be claimed on VAT paid for services.

Typically you must ask prior to making your purchase to be provided with the necessary documentation for the VAT refund. This may be as little as providing you with the original receipt or can be as extensive as filling out an official government form and having it stamped, in most cases you must also provide your passport and airline ticket to prove that you are a visiting foreigner. Most countries require that each receipt submitted for refund reflects a minimum amount of expenditure. To claim your refund, upon departure, you will be required to show the items that you have purchased and the required documents to customs officials prior to checking in your baggage to prove that the merchandise is indeed leaving the country.

Countries do this to encourage tourists to make purchases to stimulate their economies. About 30% of countries with VAT will let you reclaim it on items you take with you when you leave. Most countries in Europe allow VAT refunds. Countries in Africa that I know currently allow VAT refunds include South Africa and Namibia.

hunting-benin.gif
Benin - VAT 18%
hunting-botswana.gif
Botswana - VAT 10%
hunting-burkina-faso.gif
Burkina Faso - VAT unknown
hunting-cameroon.gif
Cameroon - VAT 19.25%
hunting-central-african-republic.gif
C.A.R. - Central African Republic - VAT unknown
hunting-ethiopia.gif
Ethiopia - VAT unknown
hunting-mozambique.gif
Mozambique - VAT unknown
hunting-namibia.gif
Namibia - VAT 15% (refund possible)
hunting-south-africa.gif
South Africa - VAT 15% (refund possible)
hunting-tanzania.gif
Tanzania- VAT 20%
hunting-zambia.gif
Zambia - VAT 17.5%
hunting-zimbabwe.gif
Zimbabwe - VAT 15%

africahunter.gif
A valuable source of information for VAT refunds in South Africa www.taxrefunds.co.za

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew about this. With the amount of money I spent on souvenirs/ gifts for friends at home I could have saved enough money on VAT to hunt another (or 2 more) plains game animals.:unsure::unsure:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross