Picking up bow case at Johannesburg, O.R. Tambo Airport baggage claim

Fred Herder

Reaction score
Just a tip if you're traveling through Johannesburg, O.R. Tambo airport. I mistakenly went to the Police Station at the airport to claim my bowcase as I was told it would likely be there with the guns as it was in a similar type case. My bow didn't arrive and after talking to a hunter that had a bowcase he told me there was a separate baggage claim just past the Passport checkpoint for oversize baggage and that's were his arrived. I had to get a worker go back and get my case since once you are at the airport police station you are already outside the security zone and you can't reenter. Be aware the your bowcase will not likely be on the same baggage carousel with your luggage. I could see them mistakenly picking up your bowcase with the guns but check the oversize luggage before you leave the baggage claim area as it may save you some time. You don't need to clear you bow once you land is SA like you would a gun.

By the way my case was oversized and Delta didn't charge anything extra either way. On the flight back to Atlanta my bowcase did end up at the gun checkpoint but all I had to do was open the case for inspection. No paperwork was required. I did not have a 4457 form for my bow. Very easy traveling with the bow.

When flying Delta my bow case has always been in the over size baggage spot, except once when mistakenly sent to the police station. When I used to fly SAA they had a separate room that weapons were sent to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross