Physical Training for Cape Buffalo Hunt

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mission: You’re trying to physically prepare for a Cape Buffalo hunt in four months?

Situation: Temp: -12deg. F. Snow pack 18 to 24 inches. Gyms closed due to Global Pandemic.

Execution: Develop a Hunting & Shooting specific at home exercise regiment.

Exercise: Stalking the Cape Buffalo with little or no Cover (The COVID Crawl)

Step #1: Announce to all household members; “Honey I’m cleaning the floors!!”

Step #2: Clear your Buffalo rifle and sling across your back.

Step #3: Assume the hands and knees clawing position.

Step #4: Crawl on your Hands & Knees all around your home, up and down stairs through every room, while keeping your rifle securely on your back.

Step #5: Return to the staring position. Assume a kneeling hasty sling supported shooting position and dry fire.

Step #6 Repeat daily until family and guests proclaim “WOW we’ve never seen floors so shiny!”

Safety Warnings:
Household pets (Dogs) think it’s play time…(or worse)
You're going to find stuff you’ve been looking months for and subsequently replaced.
Tiny shards of broken Christmas ornaments, sewing needles, nails screws etc are perfect substitutes for thorns and all the things in Africa that will hurt you. Great training for how to silently take the pain.

Mission: You’re trying to physically prepare for a Cape Buffalo hunt in four months?

Situation: Temp: -12deg. F. Snow pack 18 to 24 inches. Gyms closed due to Global Pandemic.

Step #4: Crawl on your Hands & Knees all around your home, up and down stairs through every room, while keeping your rifle securely on your back.

Step #5: Return to the staring position. Assume a kneeling hasty sling supported shooting position and dry fire.

Step #6 Repeat daily until family and guests proclaim “WOW we’ve never seen floors so shiny!”

Safety Warnings:
You're going to find stuff you’ve been looking months for and subsequently replaced.
Tiny shards of broken Christmas ornaments, sewing needles, nails screws etc are perfect substitutes for thorns and all the things in Africa that will hurt you. Great training for how to silently take the pain.
Then sit by the fire in the living room every evening with a fine Scotch - thats the mental training.

Pickup some snowshoes and hit the trails that have snow on them.

Cardio will never hurt when it comes to hunting and snowshoeing is a great way to get the old blood pumper pumping faster.

Remember to have overweight ornery neighbor lady charge at you from a closet occasionally...you know...for some realism.
How does one lure the the "overweight ornery neighbor lady" into the closet in the first place???
"It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again"

How does one lure the the "overweight ornery neighbor lady" into the closet in the first place???
"It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again"
One must pay a stout fee...and pray that the fee is only monetary.:oops:

Excellent.....and of course the additional presence on the floor of screws, nails and shards of Christmas baubles on the floor are a perfect introduction to creeping cactus (which are like for waterboarding knees). I fine regime and one peloton will undoubtedly steal.
FN

I'm skipping steps 1 through 6.
Moving directly to the advanced mental training.
Yes, the one recommended by @Kevin Peacocke.
I say "advanced" because I'm using single malt Isla scotch. ;)
Preferably Lagavulin 16 or Caol Ila 12.

I'm skipping steps 1 through 6.
Moving directly to the advanced mental training.
Yes, the one recommended by @Kevin Peacocke.
I say "advanced" because I'm using single malt Isla scotch. ;)
Preferably Lagavulin 16 or Caol Ila 12.

Lagavulin is always a good decision!

I think Kevin nailed it!

I'm much less imaginative and hit the eliptical in hunting boots with a rifle slung and a tripod conveniently set up next to it. Every once in a while I dismount, unsling, and try to get a steady shot off at whatever animal happens to be on the television show I'm watching infront of said elliptical.

I too am with Kevin on this one :)
It is a very rigorous, multi-step process. I only pay attention to the last two steps
1) lay down and in reversed position, kiss the Blarney Stone.... any reasonable facsimile stone will do
2) practice elbow curls lifting a small glass of single malt on the rocks, alternating arms to prevent tendonitis.

Safety Warnings:
Squad, attention. Prepare for orders. ................. ORDERS. Love your presentation of the task. Did not have time to look at answer yet, jumped of couch and still standing at attention. Awesome.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg