Tra3

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I am in need of ideas to use up extra hides. I’m currently in the process of getting broadhead wallets made from leftover Eland hide. I plan to also have made some lightly padded scope bags for QR scopes. The big animals leave quite a lot of extra leather to work with.

What else have you all done?

I’ll post better pictures as I get these in hand. The work is still in progress.

BA36263C-0FB0-4211-84EE-DA1D24020261.jpeg
CF550C9B-7484-4122-AE89-734CCD4DECAF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I are busy re- building a 1973 FORD F150. The entire cab will be fitted out with elephant , buffalo and kudu leather.. seats, door panels, roof, sun visors and of course the steering wheel ( from elephant trunk leather)
My trophy room's entire floor is covered with flat skins from every conceivable plainsgame species ( almost)

I am in need of ideas to use up extra hides. I’m currently in the process of getting broadhead wallets made from leftover Eland hide. I plan to also have made some lightly padded scope bags for QR scopes. The big animals leave quite a lot of extra leather to work with.

What else have you all done?

G'day Tra3,

I have never done leather work, except patching up my old single bed mattress, as the springs kept on popping out, so I would sew old leather patches over the spots causing the trouble.

Making your own creations out of leather work sounds useful, as you never have enough knife pouches.

My grandfather used to make his own thick leather molded type pouches for for his Fob Watches, pocket knives, slide rulers, and special spirit level type tools.

You could always make a cartridge holder to wrap around your rifles stock, or a belt pouch for your GPS / Phone, or make one of those little African Bongo Drums with a tin Frame inside. They usually use zebra skin as to cover the ends of the drums. Great wall hangers too. Maybe make a few different sizes too differ the musical tones.

Arrow quivers, and bags to protect expensive fishing reels, could be useful. I have also seen drink coasters & stubby / beer bottle covers with images burnt in to the leather.

Try making a branding iron with a buffalo head to burn into the leather, it will make excellent drink coasters.

Leather Cornering can be great on canvas tarpaulins, or tents, as re-enforcing for rope holes, or pegs.

Enjoy, I look forward to seeing more of your creations

Regards

Rob

Ammo belt wallets, build a wooden box, put in partitions for break down gun, cover partitions with thin leather or suede, THEN COVER OUTER BOX WITH YOUR TROPHY LEATHER, add locks, handles and straps, and voila, you have a leather gun case. Full length soft cases are nice, too...

I think Erik at Top of Texas Taxidermy does some nice custom pillows and such from back and flat skins

I thought it would be cool to a duffle bag or something like that.

That's a great question. I've just got mine laying on my back bar and on the floor as you can see. I had planned on building a gun cabinet and using some for lining on the inside but not so sure that's a good idea. So I'm very interested to hear suggestions as well.
4 (2).jpg

@Bruce you will have to post a photo or two of your Ford! It will be truly unique.

have you made any other small stuff with leather scraps?
ll certainly post fotos of the truck once finished.. busy putting gearbox and engine back now.
Have not made anything else from leather skins..YET

G'day Tra3,

I have never done leather work, except patching up my old single bed mattress, as the springs kept on popping out, so I would sew old leather patches over the spots causing the trouble.

Making your own creations out of leather work sounds useful, as you never have enough knife pouches.

My grandfather used to make his own thick leather molded type pouches for for his Fob Watches, pocket knives, slide rulers, and special spirit level type tools.

You could always make a cartridge holder to wrap around your rifles stock, or a belt pouch for your GPS / Phone, or make one of those little African Bongo Drums with a tin Frame inside. They usually use zebra skin as to cover the ends of the drums. Great wall hangers too. Maybe make a few different sizes too differ the musical tones.

Arrow quivers, and bags to protect expensive fishing reels, could be useful. I have also seen drink coasters & stubby / beer bottle covers with images burnt in to the leather.

Try making a branding iron with a buffalo head to burn into the leather, it will make excellent drink coasters.

Leather Cornering can be great on canvas tarpaulins, or tents, as re-enforcing for rope holes, or pegs.

Enjoy, I look forward to seeing more of your creations

Regards

Rob
They do still make mattresses... :)

You can make a paper weight out of the buffalo scrotum...

Ammo belt wallets, build a wooden box, put in partitions for break down gun, cover partitions with thin leather or suede, THEN COVER OUTER BOX WITH YOUR TROPHY LEATHER, add locks, handles and straps, and voila, you have a leather gun case. Full length soft cases are nice, too...
Bit off topic but speaking of gun cases, many, many years ago I made this wooden case while still a teenager for my (then) Continental db 12-g shotgun (with selective ejectors and cooking indicators). This case was later selected for inclusion into the Education Dept's State display. I made it with sheoak timber, dovetail jointed, escutcheon corners, engraved handle, keyed locks, with a piano hinged lid. I selected a camphor wood veneer (for that amazing grain) and inletted it with a marquetry design of my Continental shotgun.

20200910_142512.jpg

20200910_142712.jpg

@Timbo What a skilled lad you were! Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross