Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
Hello All,

I'm seeking information about my 505 Gibbs & the late Carl Labuschagne, PH - maker

I am trying to research a rifle that I recently acquired .... I was told that some of you may be able to help me. Any information, no matter how little, would be greatly appreciated. I'm seeking references to Carl Labuschagne in any past magazine articles. I would be most pleased to obtain copies in any media, i.e. electronic, photo-copies, or magazines.

This is the information I have so far about this 505 Gibbs and the Maker. Feel free to pass it along as needed.

This rifle was customized by, and belonged to, and was used by, Carl S. Labuschagne. Carl was a Professional Hunter in South Africa and a Custom Gunsmith.

I'm trying to gather as much info about Carl as possible, but sadly, Carl passed away this last September so I'm looking for info from thoses that may have known him or read his articles.

It is believed that this rifle was originally a Dumoulin Brevex 505 Gibbs and that it had a G&H style side mounted scope when Carl first purchased it. Carl hand made the stock and performed the major Redesign / Customization of the rifle for his personal use, believed sometime around 2000 - 2005.

The rifle is a Custom Square Bridge "Brevex" Magnum Mauser. (3-round capacity)
The rifle is a 505 Gibbs caliber.
The stock is checkered Deluxe Walnut with Buffalo Horn Forend Tip and Shadow Outlined Cheek Piece.
The stock has a Silvers Recoil Pad.
The rifle has a Quarter Rib with single standing sight and is cut for Warne Scope Rings.
The rifle has a Gold Bead Front Sight with a Swivel-Folding Hood.
The Metal Grip Cap has a Compartment for an optional Moon Sight. (not with the rifle)
The center top of the barrel is hand engraved: "Customized by C. S. Labuschagne".
The top of the barrel behind the front sight is hand engraved: "Bundock" (a variation of Bundoki which is Swahili for "Big Gun" or "Cannon")
The floorplate is hand engraved with a "Bull Elephant" and signed "A. D. Winkler" (Ferlach trained engraver still practicing in S.A.)
The brass escutcheon inlaid into the bottom of the stock is hand engraved with Carl's initials: "CSL".
The bottom of the trigger guard is hand engraved: "1014".
The left side of the receiver it is hand engraved: "1014 / 505 Gibbs".
The left side of the barrel is stamped with the number "1014".
The bottom of the action is stamped "M400" "4.2" "BV" (Brevex model 400 - sn 42 - Brevex monogram)
The barrel Length is 21".
The weight of the rifle is 10lbs-15oz (loaded & scoped)
The length of pull is 14-1/8".

Here are the pictures

Picture 044a.jpg

New-7.jpg

New-8.jpg

New-9.jpg

New-91.jpg

New-92.jpg

New-93.jpg

New-94.jpg

New-95.jpg

New-96.jpg

New-97.jpg

New-98.jpg

New-99.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help with this research.

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing the photos. I don't know anything about the maker......sorry. Got to love those M98 actions though. You might be able to find something out about the Mauser action....is there other numbers on the action besides the 400 or a number that ends in 400?

George Caswell with Champlin Firearms (google them, I tried to attach their site but there website seems to be down right now) is a person you might want to call or email pictures to. He knows a tremendous amount about rifles like this.

Do you have a DG hunt planned to use it on?

All the best in your research. Let us know what you find out.

Hello Wheels,

As the photo and the text shows, there is a "M400" model number, (Brevex built M300 & M400 actions) as well as the number "42" and the "BV" logo. Those are the only numbers.

I know George Caswell and have purchased several nice rifles from him.

I'm mostly interested in finding information about Carl Labuschagne and his writings.

buckstix,

All the best in finding something out about Labuschagne. It looks like he knew what he was doing. You have a beautiful rifle.

Hello Wheels,

I've contacted Magnum Magazine in South Africa and have ordered 6 back issues; July 94, Oct 95, May 07, Dec 07, Feb 08, Sept 08. These contain articles written by Carl Labuschagne.

I'm not sure about the subject mater of the articles, but I'm hoping that perhaps one of these will give the details of building this rifle.

I'll update when I receive the magazines.

Sounds like you have some good reading to look forward to. Hope you find out some interesting info.

Hello Wheels,

I got the first of the Magnum Magazines yesterday. It is the July 1994 one. There is a very interesting article by Carl Labuschagne entitled; "Make Mine a Turnbolt" where he discusses his Professional Hunter preference for a bolt action rifle for Dangerous Game.

I also found another reference to Carl in a book called; "The Greatest Quotes from Sporting Literature" by Chuck Wechsler & Jim Casada.

Neatly tucked between Henry David Thoreau, and Rudyard Kipling, was Carl Labuschagne - his quote was; "Make Mine a Turnbolt" and references the July 1994 issue of Magnum Magazine.

How cool is that!

Glad your finding out more about Labuschagne.

It would be interesting to hear if any of the AH members living in RSA knew him.

Hello Wheels,

Yes, that is why I posted here, to find more info aout about Carl Labuschagne.

I have pics of Carl's rifle on my computer, I've always liked that gun.......any chance of getting a copy of some of his articles when you get all of the Magnum magazines?

Roger

Mr Bundock (long since deceased) was a South African gunsmith who made quite a few .505 rifles during his tenure, both on long M98-type actions such as the French-made Brevex as well as on P-14/17 Enfields. His rifles crop up from time to time in South Africa. His quality was fair to average.

M400 signifies the Brevex with the larger magazine box that could accommodate cartridges such as the .416 Rigby and .505. The M300 was meant for the .375 H&H and its ilk.

Armin Winkler is indeed still busy engraving guns and rifles. He works from a studio in Paarl near Cape Town.

The square bridge was another after-market enhancement as well as the Brevex action came with rounded receivers and bridges to ease scope mounting.

I believe Carl L. Had a son whose name was Rusty (nick name?)Rusty was a PH also as well as an outfitter. He should still be around.
You may be able to contact him thru the Zim PH ass’n.

Rusty is still around but he's no relation to Carl Labuschagne. Rusty is ex-Zim and is nowadays a motivational speaker-google him, he has quite the life story to tell.

Yes, aware of Rusty’s story. Thank you for the info on Rusty and Carl. Hunted with Rusty once and with W.S. Who worked with Rusty the second time. Took a great eland on the second hunt.

Carl Labuschagne ultimately ended up with a .577NE for ele....he wrote glowingly about it in Man Magnum..

His Family farm was just 30km outside our little town called Piet Retief in Mpumalanga South Africa.

Called Wagendrift Safaris.

Found this little bit:

His son Hermann lives in SA and it is more info to find on rifle on a duckduck search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross