lil 2 sleepy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
South Africa,Argentina, ON Canada, USA- AK,AR,GA,IL,KS,MO,MS,NC,OK,SC,VA,WY
I would like to pose a question to some of the outfitters here about some safari etiquette and how most view this scenario.

I've hunted my whole life, and have been fortunate enough to shoot more guns at animals than my fair share, but I recently hunted a lioness and immediately knew that that hunt is different. You just dont think as clearly as you normally would, sounds are different, sights are different, following directions is like you're one of my kids.

If you don't know or yet trust your PH, you both are in a much more dangerous situation. Getting off a plane shaking hands for the first time and saying " Hi, I'm such and such, lets shoot that elephant" , no one could say is ideal.

What is the protocol if you buy a dangerous game hunt and were to bring your "personal PH" as your observer? Obviously the resident PH would have complete control over the hunt and would need to agree, but is it bad protocol? I could see it both ways.

Never heard of such practice. And resident PH with license might not like it.

I agree that hunting DG with someone you just met and don't know much about is not something I would like doing, but I would say just book hunts with people you know and PHs you trust. There are very few situations when only one outfitter can offer something others can't, just hunt with people you trust from the beginning.

I believe when we book a DG hunt, you the hunter become the responsibility of the DG PH. Which BTW, most likely is a PH with lots of experience, who will have your back even when death is looking at your soul. There are several reports here in which the PH was at the receiving end of a pissed off leopard, or other animal, while the PH protected the hunter.

If you book a PG or DG hunt, I believe you have to trust the PH that is guiding you. If not, don't go. My 2 cents.

I’d say you chose the wrong outfitter if you think this is necessary
^^^ This.

Also, a PH makes about $250 a day, observer fee is another $250 or so. If you are willing to spend another $500/day just to have a comfort feeling during the hunt might as well go with a top notch outfit instead of bargain prices.

Other than RSA most if not all lion hunts are from blinds over bait anyway . The only time there would be danger is if you mess up that first shot and have to track a wounded lion.

Trust aside, it does take some
Time to develop an understanding of each other. I’ve hunted with the same PH for 5 trips and there is something to be said for us knowing each other and him knowing me. I did hunt elephant and buffalo with a different PH due to unavoidable overlap and if I had to do it over and had the time, I’d prefer to spend a few days at least on plains game with someone before going after the big stuff. That’s as much for him to learn me as for me to learn him. Makes for a better hunt.

I don’t have a wealth of experience to draw from as I have only ever hunted DG exactly twice and it was with the safe PH but…. I’ve hunted with several different PH’s and I had a good feeling before I ever got there if I had someone I could trust for lack of a better term before I got there. Booking a hunt is much like a job interview but you are the one doing the interviewing. You may not know the employee you are hiring personally but you better have a good feeling by the time it’s over. PH’s are the same way. You should spend months talking with said person. Interview people who have hunted with them. Ask the hard questions up front. If you do you’re homework by the time you get there you should have developed confidence in your PH. The days on ground with that person before your hunt starts should just reenforce your decision so that by the time you’re actually hunting you have confidence in each other and have already bonded so to speak. I would not personally book with a large operation that you have no idea who your PH will be prior to the start of the hunt unless I knew who it was to be and had ample time to talk to that person until I was satisfied. Just my 2 cents.

Trust aside, it does take some
Time to develop an understanding of each other. I’ve hunted with the same PH for 5 trips and there is something to be said for us knowing each other and him knowing me. I did hunt elephant and buffalo with a different PH due to unavoidable overlap and if I had to do it over and had the time, I’d prefer to spend a few days at least on plains game with someone before going after the big stuff. That’s as much for him to learn me as for me to learn him. Makes for a better hunt.
I hunted with the same PH on two of my hunts and the outfitter on my third, both from the same outfitter. We got to know each other pretty well. I knew his criteria for a good head and he knew my shooting and let me call my own shots. When we went to another ranch for my buf I had two PHs, the resident guide and my PH, both armed for backup. I guess as this was my first attempt at dg, they figured I might need some help. Not necessary in this case but it felt good knowing they had my back. If I go for dg again I'll quiz the outfitter as to who has some dg experience and probably take a couple pg with him just so we are on the same plane.

I don't think it should be a problem if you want your PH/friend to tag along and paying for his rate as an observer he might just make sure he keeps other PH on his toes. It"s extra pair of eyes to help on the hunt and even tracking.
But then again be smart give him a Video camera to record your hunt. Going to hunt DG with a PH who is not experienced to hunt DG by checking references will not be smart however.

Since you are putting you're life at risk with DG it seems very sensible to have your private PH along. Other than you cost and a bruised ego of the local PH what is the downside?

The country requirements matter. I would trust Zimbabwean PHs over everyone else for the most part. It takes them 4-5 years to get their full unrestricted PH license. Every year 400 or so start the process and every year 4 or 5 get their full PH license. Basically 1% make it through the funnel.

I was lucky on this last trip to sit with a PH (license received in '93) that has been the Chief examiner multiple times and he explained all the steps they go through. College degree is easier.

Since you are putting you're life at risk with DG it seems very sensible to have your private PH along. Other than you cost and a bruised ego of the local PH what is the downside?

Your personal PH will not be able to have a firearm or a role in most cases. So, other than an observer role he will not be useful. The safety is the responsibility of the actual PH and he is not likely to relinquish that or be second guessed on approaches etc..

Not to mention this is a solution in search of a problem. If you don't trust the outfitter/PH don't book with him.

For clarification, I don't have a DG hunt booked anywhere that Im not comfortable with. I likewise am very comfortable with who I have hunted with.

I'm not planning a hunt right at this second, this is more of a discussion of the protocols and others thoughts on the concept.

Booking a hunt is much like a job interview but you are the one doing the interviewing. You may not know the employee you are hiring personally but you better have a good feeling by the time it’s over. PH’s are the same way. You should spend months talking with said person. Interview people who have hunted with them. Ask the hard questions up front. If you do you’re homework by the time you get there you should have developed confidence in your PH.
I have done both (interviewed prospective employees and outfitters). Despite very best efforts by me (and at work, my team) sometimes you pick a winner and sometimes a loser. We have a rigorous selection process and despite that we have made a few terrible hiring mistakes. We ended up terminating one guy on his third day on the job!

Whether an outfitter or job seeker, many people have a gift of BS to be able to tell you exactly what you want to here. They control which reference clients you get to contact. It's tough. Social media (like this) and others can help.

I think this might end up as a dystopian version of The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.

Your personal PH will not be able to have a firearm or a role in most cases. So, other than an observer role he will not be useful. The safety is the responsibility of the actual PH and he is not likely to relinquish that or be second guessed on approaches etc..

Not to mention this is a solution in search of a problem. If you don't trust the outfitter/PH don't book with him.
It is a catch 22. You can trust someone based upon verbal interactions, but you never know the true meddle of a persons soul until you see that person facing down danger. Many a person has flinched at the wrong moment and caused themselves and others to be placed in harus way.

Instead of bringing a 2nd PH along at your expense, it might be comparable in price to first just do a “plains game” hunt with your intended dangerous game PH, thereby getting to know him a bit more than over the phone.

Having bashed about in the bush a bit with Philip Hennings, I would have no worries about hunting any species of dangerous game with him (including the most dangerous one on earth - the human criminal).

Instead of bringing a 2nd PH along at your expense, it might be comparable in price to first just do a “plains game” hunt with your intended dangerous game PH, thereby getting to know him a bit more than over the phone.

Having bashed about in the bush a bit with Philip Hennings, I would have no worries about hunting any species of dangerous game with him (including the most dangerous one on earth - the human criminal).
I think that is a sensible scenario, but there are a ton of great deals that pop up here that people will jump on without that option. A $10k elephant hunt is almost too good to pass up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you