Permits

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
how long does it take for nature conservation to issue export permits typically? Apparently thats what @nwjames and i are waiting for at safari cargo... they got our stuff dropped of dec 6 from swiftdip, so been bout 3 weeks. We just really want our stuff back and prob are being impatient i assume... haha

Iv'e been waiting myself for about 6 weeks :(:(. This time of year to my understanding things slow down and then many of them take 2 weeks off.

It is high summer in RSA. Holiday season.
So, you can expect delays this time of year for sure.

Been on the receiving end of the permit wait plenty of times. It's not a fun place to be.

December is the busiest time of the year to have trophy's shipped out of Africa. I had my taxidermist delay shipping until feb/mar just so mine were not caught up in the Christmas rush.

I finally got my permits for the stuff I shot in May. Now Delta is not accepting new shipments until middle of Jan.
The last time we went we used all the same people and it was very much faster. I do not think it was the people but a Gov problem(lazy) and now a shipping problem.
They will get here when they do is the best attitude to take. Remember it is Africa and they do things at their own pace. :)

Reactions: lcq
@Pieter Erasmus should be able to answer your question. He is the COO of Safari Cargo.

Things are shut down over there until after the first.

I am in the same boat, waiting on Nature Conservation to issue export permits.
Both Swift Dip and Safari Cargo Systems have been great to work with. Swift Dip transferred my trophies to SCS right on the 90 day mark and I received emails from both Natasha at Swift Dip and Ilse at SCS confirming transfer. This was on October 20. Just over 2 months ago.
As Charlie mentioned, things pretty much shut down the month of December, so hopefully permits will start flowing after New Years. Fingers crossed!

Sorry guys, but this is something I normally tell my foreign friends to keep in mind.

You may have the very expensive watch, but these guys have the time!
The amount of time you want to save, depends on how much money you are willing to lose.
Sad but true.

Remember it is Africa and they do things at their own pace.

Will someone then explain to me why things take so long with governments outside of Africa?

Reactions: lcq
Yes swiftdip has been excellent to work with so far and safari cargo been pretty good responding back. I was wondering what you all have been throgh waiting on export permits. Have nothing bad to say about either! Again just me be anxious thats all. Im sure itll be like reliving the hunt when i get to open the crate and see everything again!

You could be 4 weeks or another 4 months. Really hard to say. They are generally not fast, that much I can tell you.....
Bruce

Again just me be anxious thats all.

Me too!!

Now going on 8 weeks for me in SA and I have another shipment going on 5 weeks in Zim :(:(

Dip/pack/Permits and shipping is always nothing but a PIA and a rip off! We are always way over charged for poor service and told "Oh its just Africa" etc. etc. And i can tell you it isnt just africa other countries are a PIA too. They know they have us hostage and can do as they please charge as they please. In my experience someone always points a finger at someone else frequently the government. Some times true sometimes not. So my best advice is to keep in communication with them if you can and sometimes the squeaky wheel gets greased. Good luck(y)

I’m still waiting for my export permit for my buffalo I shot in Limpopo in August
Was really hoping my safari shipment would make it out before the shutdown. Guess I’ll see it in February. Fingers crossed!

I’m dealing with delays on the other end of the process. I have a shipment that has been in the states (JFK) for several weeks. According to my clearing agent JFK is notorious for taking forever.

Another factor that will have nothing to do with permits will be “consolidation” of shipments. Accruing the critical mass required for the container or truck will delay shipments.
Eg: Shipments out of Botswana only occurred quarterly. If you missed the cut off date or that truck was full you wait another three months for the next truck, etc.

I’m dealing with delays on the other end of the process. I have a shipment that has been in the states (JFK) for several weeks. According to my clearing agent JFK is notorious for taking forever.

Shew ive heard horror stories of guys gettin charge big time bills "storage fees" for stuff that sits at jfx bc of there slow process. Thats why i send mine on delta only and that pretty much assures its goin to atl not through jfk

Just what do they do for "dip & pack"? I assume all that is done is dip in a bug killer solution and then dry out the hide. Anything else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross