Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
target.jpg

kudu_perfect_shot.jpg

Good day my fellow hunters. Just a quick question regarding shot placement......

As much as I trust the information found on this sight, I see that the Greater Kudu shot placement(heart vital area) is just behind the shoulder as I use the shot placement pics found here on the AH forum.

However, when I use the book "The Perfect Shot" by Kevin Robertson, it shows perfect shot placement on the same animal to be straight up the leg and lower half of the body(roughly where this arrow made it's mark. I do apologize as I do not have the book with me while I am at work.

My question is what shot placement guide should a bow hunter lean towards more? The book or this sight? I've heard nothing but good about both sources. Or is one better for the archery hunter as the other would be geared more for the rifle hunter?

I do plan to ask my guide this as well. Just looking for input from others from around the world that have good feedback as I prepare for a bow hunt in Namibia this fall.

Other species that I plan to target practice for in preparation for my hunt include Warthog, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Mountain Zebra, and Baboon.

Thanks all,

DL

P.S. I do not look at the "10 ring" scoring lines on the target ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that in the upper picture the kudu has his leg forward. I believe bowhunters are better off looking at the anatomy targets so as to understand where bones lie.
img_kudu-shoulder.jpg

Attachments

• img_kudu-shoulder.jpg
    img_kudu-shoulder.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4,847
DL, We have shot placement images specifically for Bowhunting Shot Placement. Here are the ones for the Kudu.

kudu_shot_placement_bow.jpg

kudu_perfect_shot_bow.jpg

Don't forget that in the upper picture the kudu has his leg forward. I believe bowhunters are better off looking at the anatomy targets so as to understand where bones lie.
img_kudu-shoulder.jpg

Thank you Sheephunterab. I couldn't agree more. Is what I've been doing is looking at the anatomy picture just before shooting the target. This way I'm mentally picturing where the vitals are while I make my shot

Thank you AH. I have to admit that your site has been not only very informative but inspiring as well

Remember that this Kudu is also WALKING. Look at the opposite leg.
That heart is right between the front legs.

kudu_perfect_shot.jpg

Mathews Halon 29.5 draw at 66 lbs

Easton 6mm fmj with 100 grain muzzy mx3

Total arrow weight 475 grains

View attachment 195624

Beautiful! I'm bringing my Mathews Creed 27.5" draw 64 pounds with Easton Axis 5mm fitted with VPA 200gr 2blade.
Total arrow weight 600gr

I'm bringing my 80lb obsession defcon 6 with 458gr element quakes and 100 grain ramcat broadheads . At 27.5 in shooting 310 fps
received_10100235752726521.jpeg

View attachment 193390

kudu_perfect_shot.jpg

Good day my fellow hunters. Just a quick question regarding shot placement......

As much as I trust the information found on this sight, I see that the Greater Kudu shot placement(heart vital area) is just behind the shoulder as I use the shot placement pics found here on the AH forum.

However, when I use the book "The Perfect Shot" by Kevin Robertson, it shows perfect shot placement on the same animal to be straight up the leg and lower half of the body(roughly where this arrow made it's mark. I do apologize as I do not have the book with me while I am at work.

My question is what shot placement guide should a bow hunter lean towards more? The book or this sight? I've heard nothing but good about both sources. Or is one better for the archery hunter as the other would be geared more for the rifle hunter?

I do plan to ask my guide this as well. Just looking for input from others from around the world that have good feedback as I prepare for a bow hunt in Namibia this fall.

Other species that I plan to target practice for in preparation for my hunt include Warthog, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Mountain Zebra, and Baboon.

Thanks all,

DL

P.S. I do not look at the "10 ring" scoring lines on the target ;-)

Your shot on the first picture is placed a bit too far forward. Slightly higher or forward would be a wounding shot and recovery may not be possible. It does however clip both lungs. The margin for error is too big with that placement. Further back would be better.

Do not take the shot when they are looking in your direction, warthog, gemsbuck, bushbuck etc. are notorious for jumping the string.

Broadside or slightly quartering away are ideal.

Try to visualise the organs inside the animal rather than a spot on the outside as this will help in consistently hitting the vitals.

Higher than half way up with a bow is also very risky, 1 third up is ideal.Especially Blue Wildebeest and Gemsbuck on your list. If anything drops at the shot(no matter how small eg. impala) immediately nock another arrow and shoot again.

Good luck and may your arrows fly true!

Your shot on the first picture is placed a bit too far forward. Slightly higher or forward would be a wounding shot and recovery may not be possible. It does however clip both lungs. The margin for error is too big with that placement. Further back would be better.

Do not take the shot when they are looking in your direction, warthog, gemsbuck, bushbuck etc. are notorious for jumping the string.

Broadside or slightly quartering away are ideal.

Try to visualise the organs inside the animal rather than a spot on the outside as this will help in consistently hitting the vitals.

Higher than half way up with a bow is also very risky, 1 third up is ideal.Especially Blue Wildebeest and Gemsbuck on your list. If anything drops at the shot(no matter how small eg. impala) immediately nock another arrow and shoot again.

Good luck and may your arrows fly true!

You’re too late......”they’re all dead Sir....every last one of ‘em”

~John Rambo First Blood

IMG_5682.JPG

Jk man. Check out our report from the trip “Bow Blood and the Bolt gun”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber