Perfect Safari or Tropical Hunting Shirt

Here are quick pictures of the front and back of the shirt. On the front, you can see the pocket details and how the gusset goes into the armpit. On the picture of the back of the shirt, you can see the double gussets plus the reinforcement at the back of the neck.

I have another of these shirts in a dark rust color that I'd donate to the cause if someone needed a sample with which to make a lightweight version of it. As it is, the fabric weight of this shirt would be the equivalent of the old olive drab GI uniforms.

View attachment 521862View attachment 521863
Very nice. So if I am right those are cartridge hoopa above the right pocket, so they could easily be swapped with the zip pocket on the left?

Very nice. So if I am right those are cartridge hoopa above the right pocket, so they could easily be swapped with the zip pocket on the left?
Actually, no. The left is a zip as you note while the right just has a tab of Velcro. I think it was meant for glasses or sunglasses. Both of the pockets end about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the breast pockets.

I haven't seen Poncho mentioned yet, I've heard nothing but great things about them and see them worn often in filmed African hunts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 8.46.26 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 8.46.26 AM Large.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 8.46.32 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 8.46.32 AM Large.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 56
I haven't seen Poncho mentioned yet, I've heard nothing but great things about them and see them worn often in filmed African hunts.
I'd be curious to hear AH's take on these if anyone has them. I'd particularly like to know how the synthetic fabric feels and how it stands up to use (and laundering) in Africa.

For me no cartridge loops. Must have long sleeves that can be buttoned up when rolled up and no Velcro. Buttons must be high quality. Breast pocket only on the left side for my compass and if it does have a sleeve pocket I keep a small can of bug dope in it. I like and use Columbia fishing shirts.

I have an earlier version of that Cabela’s shirt. It is labeled “Outfitters Series”. It is 100% heavy cotton with 2 flapped pocket that close with a snap. It has a zippered pocket behind the left pocket and a velcroed one on the right. The shirt closes with snaps like a western shirt.

What makes this shirt really great is the double sleeve gussets to allow free movement.

This shirt in a lighter fabric would be fantasic.
I have a Cabelas outfitter shirt with the best pocket on any shirt anywhere
It's a narrow, long zippered pocket designed for eyeglasses...
This is behind the left front breast pocket and it's perfect

@roverandbrew: We had this discussion last year. Clothing today is made for "men" with the body of a 12 year old girl. I have bought and returned clothing from Orvis, 5.11, Columbia, etc. that absolutely will not fit anyone with a chest larger than their waist. Older models of the same clothing still fits perfect but most everything today is "slim fit". This thread has me thinking I should have a local tailor here in Colombia make me a shirt like we discussed. I will keep you posted.

Safe hunting
One issue i have with shirts is that, in the regular shirts i need to get like a 3XL to fit my shoulders and upper back and also for the length. I have a long torso and a regular XL or 2XL is like a belly shirt on me. Now the problem with 3XL shirts is that in the mid-section they are literally like a parachute.

One type of shirt I found that fits me well is the XLT or sometimes 2XLT. You can find them in big and tall stores- especially in America. Those tall shirts not only have extra room in the shoulders but they are also longer than regular shirts. They're still a bit too loose in the mid-section but they're not like a parachute like the regular 3XL shirts are...

This shirt has some promise... $79 retail... $47 if you are part of the Sitka Pro Plan (public servants, military, veterans, industry professionals, etc... )..

"Pro" programs are another problem for retailers...

I own a legitimate, licensed, permitted, and fully-insured fly-fishing guide service. We send 1099's to our contractors and W-2's to our employees (some are both). We pay the liability insurance for everyone in sight.

I've overheard "customers" , at least 100 times, say to each other.....

"Joe" can get you that for 1/2 price, because he is on the "pro" program. So, the potential customer tries on my shirt, makes it more "shopworn" than is was before, and gets "Joe" to order him one for 1/2 price.

"Joe" has probably never even taken a client fishing. If he did, it was illegal and absolutely uninsured...

A fake business card and fake "letterhead" is usually all it takes. I have "flushed" a few suppliers over the years, because they just want to sell their merchandise to anyone who will buy it and not help defend their dealers.

Manufacturers are supposed to use "pro" programs to help the poor bloke who is making less than $25K/year, get good equipment and demonstrate to their clients, the advantage of using top-tier equipment.

I thought the Pro programs open to military veterans was a very nice "thank you" from that company. I didn't realize we were destroying small businesses.

Safe hunting

Ponchooutdoors

I don't have any ill feelings against any veterans who take advantage of any discounts offered by manufactures. (We give quite a bit to various veteran organizations).

Heck, the taxpayers of the USA should pay veterans more than US Senators and even Presidents, who haven't served.

My beef is with manufacturers that give "pro" discounts to grifters, who have never done anything to deserve anything. I'm sure there are several hundred, if not a few thousand.

I've spent more than my share of time in the elements.
Heat, cold, flight suit, camo, wetsuit... ever had calluses INSIDE your lips from a snorkel or regulator? Had sand rub your body hair off like you shaved it?

Not saying I'm an expert on gear matters but I'm really really surprised to see so many championing straight cotton.

Honest question- have you guys tried blends and synthetics? Wicking, antimicrobial, UPF, etc. Some really nice stuff out there.

For Texas and Florida I typically have a skin tight long sleeve stretchy upf50 (columbia) as a base ( plus a rimmed tilley hat for sun as i'm a paleface) and add nylon, flannel, goretex, or even Cordura for cold, wind, rain, or thorns.

Cotton holds water, sticks to skin, and never seems to dry.

is there a bit of fashion over function going on ?

Heat, cold, flight suit, camo, wetsuit... ever had calluses INSIDE your lips from a snorkel or regulator? Had sand rub your body hair off like you shaved it?

Not saying I'm an expert on gear matters but I'm really really surprised to see so many championing straight cotton.

Honest question- have you guys tried blends and synthetics? Wicking, antimicrobial, UPF, etc. Some really nice stuff out there.

For Texas and Florida I typically have a skin tight long sleeve stretchy upf50 (columbia) as a base ( plus a rimmed tilley hat for sun as i'm a paleface) and add nylon, flannel, goretex, or even Cordura for cold, wind, rain, or thorns.

I think it depends on the scenario. I own and use both techier fabrics and straight cotton. There are situations where I find cotton to be more comfortable.

pockets definitely need button-able flaps. nice to be able to put stuff in them, very convenient, but open-top pockets, at least for me, are a good place to snag the toe of the butt stock.

pockets definitely need button-able flaps. nice to be able to put stuff in them, very convenient, but open-top pockets, at least for me, are a good place to snag the toe of the butt stock.
When lowering the rifle?

Depending on what country you are hunting in Africa, your clothing is usually washed each day and "ironed".

Cotton hold up well when it is "ironed", I do not think the synthetic clothing would do the same.

You see the ironing of washed clothing, is so that the water born bugs are killed.

So, your point being that you hunt in Texas and Florida and you do not have the ironing part to overcome and you are able to wear synthetic clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross