Perfect Safari or Tropical Hunting Shirt

King Gee Workcool 2. 100% cotton ripstop fabric, button pockets, vents etc.
Two colours suitable for hunting: Khaki and dark olive green.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 9.12.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 9.12.06 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 9.12.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 9.12.08 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 110
Not sure what you are looking for exists. I've used the Orvis Bush Shirt with great success but it wasn't in hot weather.

For warmer weather this comes close, but does have some velcro and is only 98% cotton. The 5.11 Jackson Long Sleeve. The cut is athletic with the arms not being unnecessarily baggy at the pits. Good for casual wear and made of 5 oz cotton twill, so it's lightweight. I have two of them and really like them in the heat.

I keep my shells in a a Murray cartridge belt because they are secure and not bouncing around in chest pocket loops.
View attachment 519790

View attachment 519795

511 shirt in question… pretty much worn by every contractor to ever get Iraqi sand in his boots :)

I wear shirts that look similar except being half button. They are workwear sold under a few brands.

I found out the Tan coloured shows up for some distance in the African bush.

If you and your tailor get together and design a prototype then had it produced overseas for resale can you offer a product to a specific market where we all win?

My work shirts are around $50 here. Probably imported but shirts of that style are very popular with rural people, farm workers etc. Can be had in Light, Medium and Heavy weight in my preferred brand. On a hot day thousands of people are still working hard out in the heat with the sleeves, short sleeve and long sleeve varieties

But if you can offer something in long sleeve, nothing fancy just quality material , two button pockets, maybe include some form of venting in the back or underarm in suitable colours 1 or 2 choices.

Not a tailored fit or slim fit as seems to be the current trend in dress shirts.

I've met a few Aussie members, one or 2 might take a slim fit but the rest of us are typically average build carrying a few pounds so a nice fit without being loose or tight.

I don't want a safari shirt or Camp shirt that I wouldn't pull up and get fuel in.

Ah, a subject close to my heart. Here are my criteria for what I would consider a perfect shirt:
1. 100 % cotton
2. Thicker fabric so it isn't floppy, but not too thick so it remains cool.
3. Double thickness over the shoulders and upper chest so it doesn't hang or cling.
4. Chest pockets well up, not down around your belly like Colombia.
5. No epaulettes.
6. Long sleeve.
Buttons, no velcro.
7. No tight fit, parallel all the way.
8. Cuff link koles too, I wear my safari garb to board meetings too.
9. 4 x cartridge hoops above the left breast pocket.
10. Colours dark green, khaki, dark brown.
11. Double sown with ends tied off.

In summary this is exactly like the Westley Richards Safari Shirt, but 100mm longer for better tuck in and made with lighter weight fabric. I would be happy to pay even $100 for these. I may get a shirt maker to run me up a set because I have never found exactly this. Or you make them and I will take a set?

I like my Avedon and Colby stuff, but they don't meet your cost criteria...
I like these shirts too. But they are expensive. They have some design features you may be interested in. Mine have been on every safari, fishing trip, and trip to camp for six years and still look great, so the price per use is low.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 8.00.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 8.00.54 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 84
I love this shirt...I'm posting a link because the one cheap, stupid feature that I love is the loop just over the placket. I don't know what it was intended for but I hang my reading glasses over that loop and it works perfectly.

Yes, I would love to have a shirt shell loops, or better, just something in the breast pocket to keep loose cartridges from banging together.

Oh, and, a collar that is tall enough and stiff enough that it won't collapse under the normal weight of binoculars straps or duck call lanyards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 8.01.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 8.01.29 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Plus one for the 5.11 shirts, I still have a half dozen issued for similar locations. One of my favorite items is the loop/button arrangement for rolling the sleeves. Not a fan of velcro or cartridge loops on the shirt. Also keep a longer tail on the shirt so it won't come untucked when kneeling, squatting or moving to/from prone. keep button down collar (concealed buttons).

@roverandbrew: We had this discussion last year. Clothing today is made for "men" with the body of a 12 year old girl. I have bought and returned clothing from Orvis, 5.11, Columbia, etc. that absolutely will not fit anyone with a chest larger than their waist. Older models of the same clothing still fits perfect but most everything today is "slim fit". This thread has me thinking I should have a local tailor here in Colombia make me a shirt like we discussed. I will keep you posted.

Safe hunting

FWIW, I might still have contact info for a tailor shop (very large one) in China… that could build you anything you want very affordably…

Around the 2009 time frame we sent this guy a couple of 511 shirts with a list of modifications we wanted (lighter material, longer tails, etc)… he tore the 511’s down and used them as a template… then sent us a couple of sample shirts to try out… they were literally less than 1/2 the cost of 511, with the “improvements” we wanted… the only downside was they weren’t quite as well made… the fabric wasn’t as durable (although it was durable enough…)… I think his minimum order was 25 shirts… we ordered about 500 of them and outfitted one of our Afghan guard forces with them…

If a shirt can survive 6 straight months of being washed and worn by an afghan… and costs less than $25… I call that a bargain!

Not many can make clothing that will survive getting beat clean with a rock in the river! I remember my jungle fatigues being almost transparent after a 6mos deployment down south in the good old days. :LOL::LOL:

Safe travels

@roverandbrew: We had this discussion last year. Clothing today is made for "men" with the body of a 12 year old girl. I have bought and returned clothing from Orvis, 5.11, Columbia, etc. that absolutely will not fit anyone with a chest larger than their waist. Older models of the same clothing still fits perfect but most everything today is "slim fit". This thread has me thinking I should have a local tailor here in Colombia make me a shirt like we discussed. I will keep you posted.

Safe hunting
The Hunting shirt along with a synthetic stocked Rigby Highland Stalker debate were great for firing you up at 5am.

FWIW, I might still have contact info for a tailor shop (very large one) in China… that could build you anything you want very affordably…

Around the 2009 time frame we sent this guy a couple of 511 shirts with a list of modifications we wanted (lighter material, longer tails, etc)… he tore the 511’s down and used them as a template… then sent us a couple of sample shirts to try out… they were literally less than 1/2 the cost of 511, with the “improvements” we wanted… the only downside was they weren’t quite as well made… the fabric wasn’t as durable (although it was durable enough…)… I think his minimum order was 25 shirts… we ordered about 500 of them and outfitted one of our Afghan guard forces with them…

If a shirt can survive 6 straight months of being washed and worn by an afghan… and costs less than $25… I call that a bargain!
I agree! I will let you know once I figure of the COA. The tailor here seems pretty competent so maybe I prototype through her then pass off to someone else for production.

The Hunting shirt along with a synthetic stocked Rigby Highland Stalker debate were great for firing you up at 5am.
The thought of a synthetic stocked Highlander will give me nightmares.

Me and Mama closed all the bars in the plaza last night. I just checked her pulse for signs of life and gave her a coffee. :LOL:

I think our maid would be great to test the new shirt's endurance. She can break ball bearings and thinks all cleaning supplies are worthless, so she mixes everything with more bleach, vinegar and God knows what else.

Ah, a subject close to my heart. Here are my criteria for what I would consider a perfect shirt:
1. 100 % cotton
2. Thicker fabric so it isn't floppy, but not too thick so it remains cool.
3. Double thickness over the shoulders and upper chest so it doesn't hang or cling.
4. Chest pockets well up, not down around your belly like Colombia.
5. No epaulettes.
6. Long sleeve.
Buttons, no velcro.
7. No tight fit, parallel all the way.
8. Cuff link koles too, I wear my safari garb to board meetings too.
9. 4 x cartridge hoops above the left breast pocket.
10. Colours dark green, khaki, dark brown.
11. Double sown with ends tied off.

In summary this is exactly like the Westley Richards Safari Shirt, but 100mm longer for better tuck in and made with lighter weight fabric. I would be happy to pay even $100 for these. I may get a shirt maker to run me up a set because I have never found exactly this. Or you make them and I will take a set?
I like your list.

I am surprised you don't see safari shirts with padding on the shoulders for shooting big guns like you see on bird hunting shirts/vest. They do that for shooting 12ga guns, why not for shooting big rifles?

I love this shirt...I'm posting a link because the one cheap, stupid feature that I love is the loop just over the placket. I don't know what it was intended for but I hang my reading glasses over that loop and it works perfectly.

Yes, I would love to have a shirt shell loops, or better, just something in the breast pocket to keep loose cartridges from banging together.

Oh, and, a collar that is tall enough and stiff enough that it won't collapse under the normal weight of binoculars straps or duck call lanyards.

If it is the large loop that I am thinking of- it is for securing your Binos to. Caught this extra feature in an old Stewart Granger movie- Harry and the Tiger. Saw this recently and thought AHA. Like this touch.

Why cotton? Nowadays, when there are many different modifications of polyamide fibers...
In recent years, I have not used cotton for any outdoor activity - year-round hunting, summer hiking, winter mountaineering, ski mountaineering, summer sailing...nowhere. Synthetics, (merino) wool and their mix. Underwear under the suit shirt as well. It keeps me dry and at a stable temperature. The same cannot be said about cotton. It used to be a problem because it was not comfortable and unpleasant for the skin. But that no longer applies to quality products. During all activities in the heat I wear shirts and T-shirts from Musto, Fjällräven, Arc'teryx, Adidas Golf etc. The same during a month's stay in Indonesia. Nowadays, I don't see a reason for wearing cotton during physical activity. Cotton absorbs water and stays wet. Wool absorbs water but retains its thermoregulatory ability. Synthetics do not absorb water but evaporate.

If it is the large loop that I am thinking of- it is for securing your Binos to. Caught this extra feature in an old Stewart Granger movie- Harry and the Tiger. Saw this recently and thought AHA. Like this touch.
It's no wider than the placket, about an inch maybe a tad more. The literature says it's for sunglasses...I just said reading glasses to make fun of my own age...

Why cotton? Nowadays, when there are many different modifications of polyamide fibers...
In recent years, I have not used cotton for any outdoor activity - year-round hunting, summer hiking, winter mountaineering, ski mountaineering, summer sailing...nowhere. Synthetics, (merino) wool and their mix. Underwear under the suit shirt as well. It keeps me dry and at a stable temperature. The same cannot be said about cotton. It used to be a problem because it was not comfortable and unpleasant for the skin. But that no longer applies to quality products. During all activities in the heat I wear shirts and T-shirts from Musto, Fjällräven, Arc'teryx, Adidas Golf etc. The same during a month's stay in Indonesia. Nowadays, I don't see a reason for wearing cotton during physical activity. Cotton absorbs water and stays wet. Wool absorbs water but retains its thermoregulatory ability. Synthetics do not absorb water but evaporate.
I find the oposite, I just don't like the slimy feel of synthetics, like the the Columbia shirts. I suppose we all have different tastes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross