roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
I want to start this post with the fact that I have spent countless dollars attempting to find a “good” safari / tropical hunting shirt that fit my needs and build. I have owned shirts from Rigby, Westley Richards, Filson, Courteney, Tag, Patagonia, Bass Pro to Walmart and the list goes on. Every shirt has required some modification or fit lousy and made it goodwill.

I spent the last 27 years assigned to organizations within DOD where generally money was not an issue and good ideas were turned into reality and everyone was the better for it. I have spoken with a local tailor and floated the idea of prototyping a true safari / tropical hunting shirt for production. I would like this to turn into something and hopefully we all benefit. Zero clue if this will fizzle out or we all have access to a great shirt in the future.

My last 27 years were spent between the middle east and Central and South America so I have a good concept for hot weather operational clothing but would love to hear your thoughts based off your experience. While I have hunted in Africa, many of you have done it way more. I will start off with things I would be interested in regarding construction and hopefully you can tune me up.

Words used to define the shirt: simple, functional, durable, practical, classic, purpose built.

100% Cotton Fabric. Unsure on weave. I feel the Filson featherweight shirt is great all around. Fabric be hand washed in a bucked on washboard and ironed without issue.

Milspec Buttons. No Velcro

2 x chest pockets. Pockets set to not hinder shouldering of rifle if pockets are full. Sized to hold a small compass, Cell Phone or GPS / Range Finder. Does anyone use arm sleeve pockets?

Sizing: Tailored fit but not slim. I am done having shirts cut way too large in the abdomen. Long enough to tuck in as most of us wear a belt with kit. Long sleeve version sleeve, is long enough to not pull too tight when shouldering a rifle.

I see no need for epaulettes. Added cost and fabric to dry when wet.

Color: Green and or khaki

Cost: Under $75

What other design features do you love or detest?

Shell loops?

Is there a need for a purpose-built shirt or does one exist I have not found? I would love to hear your thoughts. I am not in any industry related to manufacturing or sportswear so this is 100% bottom up to make something better.

Not sure what you are looking for exists. I've used the Orvis Bush Shirt with great success but it wasn't in hot weather.

For warmer weather this comes close, but does have some velcro and is only 98% cotton. The 5.11 Jackson Long Sleeve. The cut is athletic with the arms not being unnecessarily baggy at the pits. Good for casual wear and made of 5 oz cotton twill, so it's lightweight. I have two of them and really like them in the heat.

I keep my shells in a a Murray cartridge belt because they are secure and not bouncing around in chest pocket loops.
1677375921240.png

I want to start this post with the fact that I have spent countless dollars attempting to find a “good” safari / tropical hunting shirt that fit my needs and build. I have owned shirts from Rigby, Westley Richards, Filson, Courteney, Tag, Patagonia, Bass Pro to Walmart and the list goes on. Every shirt has required some modification or fit lousy and made it goodwill.

I spent the last 27 years assigned to organizations within DOD where generally money was not an issue and good ideas were turned into reality and everyone was the better for it. I have spoken with a local tailor and floated the idea of prototyping a true safari / tropical hunting shirt for production. I would like this to turn into something and hopefully we all benefit. Zero clue if this will fizzle out or we all have access to a great shirt in the future.

My last 27 years were spent between the middle east and Central and South America so I have a good concept for hot weather operational clothing but would love to hear your thoughts based off your experience. While I have hunted in Africa, many of you have done it way more. I will start off with things I would be interested in regarding construction and hopefully you can tune me up.

Words used to define the shirt: simple, functional, durable, practical, classic, purpose built.

100% Cotton Fabric. Unsure on weave. I feel the Filson featherweight shirt is great all around. Fabric be hand washed in a bucked on washboard and ironed without issue.

2 x chest pockets. Pockets set to not hinder shouldering of rifle if pockets are full. Sized to hold a small compass, Cell Phone or GPS / Range Finder. Does anyone use arm sleeve pockets?

Sizing: Tailored fit but not slim. I am done having shirts cut way too large in the abdomen. Long enough to tuck in as most of us wear a belt with kit. Long sleeve version sleeve, is long enough to not pull too tight when shouldering a rifle.

Shell loops?

Is there a need for a purpose-built shirt or does one exist I have not found? I would love to hear your thoughts. I am not in any industry related to manufacturing or sportswear so this is 100% bottom up to make something better.

The shirt you describe sounds good. I would just leave the epaulettes. The can snag on thick bush, thorns, etc.

Personally I’m very very used to cartridges on my belt in a ripstop or leather pouch, cartridges making the shirt top heavy would not be for me. But that is purely opinion.

The best lightweight shirts I’ve ever owned are no longer made, but were made by Columbia. They were the right thickness 100% poplin, had one pocket on the left with a pen slot and lasted a very long time. I bought 6 of them from the Columbia outlet in Portland in 2001 and have one left.

make the same thing with two button pockets in long, non-binding sleeve and I’ll buy 6 more.

I have a filson featherweight and it’s just a mess. The fabric is too thin and wrinkles too much. The peak of the shoulders is too wide, the arms too short, and the wrists too tight. Not sure who the model was on that shirt, but wasnt a man of normal proportions.

I am very appreciative of all your comments so far.

I still hunt old 5.11 cotton shirts I was initially issued in Iraq quite a bit… they don’t perfectly fit all of the things you’re looking for… but get pretty close on much of your requirements…sturdy cotton, fitted, long enough to tuck,tan/khaki color, and under $75 (all of mine were free lol)… 2 chest pockets, upper sleeve slot for small items like a pen/pencil… I’ve still got a couple of long sleeve and a couple of short sleeve that were issued as far back as 2007 that I’ve probably got 200-250 days of wear each on in a variety of climates (hot/dusty/dry Iraq… cold/wet/snowy Afghanistan… wet/hot Kenya and Tanzania.. etc… that later got worn everywhere from Central America to Southern Africa.. and are still going strong… although now starting to show a bit of wear and fading)….

Im probably going to cry like a little girl when they finally give up the ghost on me…

I still hunt old 5.11 cotton shirts I was initially issued in Iraq quite a bit… they don’t perfectly fit all of the things you’re looking for… but get pretty close on much of your requirements…sturdy cotton, fitted, long enough to tuck,tan/khaki color, and under $75 (all of mine were free lol)… 2 chest pockets, upper sleeve slot for small items like a pen/pencil… I’ve still got a couple of long sleeve and a couple of short sleeve that were issued as far back as 2007 that I’ve probably got 200-250 days of wear each on in a variety of climates (hot/dusty/dry Iraq… cold/wet/snowy Afghanistan… wet/hot Kenya and Tanzania.. etc… that later got worn everywhere from Central America to Southern Africa.. and are still going strong… although now starting to show a bit of wear and fading)….

Im probably going to cry like a little girl when they finally give up the ghost on me…
1-If you start crying I want you to FaceTime me. I will record it for the November festivities. 2-If you are free at all this week I would like to catch up on some stuff.

1-If you start crying I want you to FaceTime me. I will record it for the November festivities. 2-If you are free at all this week I would like to catch up on some stuff.

Will give you a buzz this week!:)

Image1677379979.449818.jpg

511 shirt in question… pretty much worn by every contractor to ever get Iraqi sand in his boots :)

Have you looked at KIUI shirts? They are built on the small side, however great shirts.

Have you looked at HUK shirts? Good in warm weather. Need an. Under shirt when It is cool.

Have you looked at Cinch shirts?

Shell loops?

If you develop a 100% cotton shirt, have vents in the back for coolness yet would dry quickly short and long sleeve versions. I want it wide at my shoulders but slimed down my sides. Ezra long to tuck in. Must have shell loops above pockets to hold shells

Have you looked at KIUI shirts? They are built on the small side, however great shirts.

Have you looked at HUK shirts? Good in warm weather. Need an. Under shirt when It is cool.

Have you looked at Cinch shirts?
i have looked at their products. Most I have seen are synthetic. Definitely good stuff!

If you develop a 100% cotton shirt, have vents in the back for coolness yet would dry quickly short and long sleeve versions. I want it wide at my shoulders but slimed down my sides. Ezra long to tuck in. Must have shell loops above pockets to hold shells
Agree 100% on the comment regarding fit.

Orvis previously offered a lightweight all cotton shooting shirt with arm tabs that allow rolling up the sleeves. I bought 2 on a close out for shooting metallic silhouette in the summer.
The current version has some polyester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!